Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 12:01 PM

725 posts, read 1,509,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Lol he was joking.
I think he made a valid point. That's the beautiful thing about America... it is so vast and diverse and there are many great cities and natural hotspots. There is a city in this country for everybody and most are very unique and has something diffrent to offer...

Keep in mind NYC metro area (yeah the tri-state) only represents around 6% of the total population. There are a lot of people in this country that would cosign hurricane...

I prefer NY over the CHi cause I have family in NYC, but you already know what's #1 to me... No other city offers to me what this one does.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:33 PM

60 posts, read 46,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Umm, it sounded like a relatively even-handed post by a person who just didn't like living in NYC. Maybe I'm getting tricked by a bizarro-dementor...but until I see some outrageous bias from him, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I personally prefer NYC to Chicago, but absolutely love Chicago and totally understand why some people prefer it over New York (cheaper, less congrested, less pretentious). Different strokes for different folks. I don't understand why if someone says they prefer something over NYC, some NY forumers act like they've just received a golden shower (posters like Oy & Infamous are notable exceptions, among others)...as if people like other cities because they hate that forumer personally.

In a quantitative-based comparison (bigger, stronger, more important, etc, etc), obviously New York City owns. However, not everyone wants to be in the biggest, most crowded place. Hopefully someday people will understand that.
They will never understand. They think the world evolves around that place. Thank god there are other places to live.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:47 AM

22 posts, read 66,431 times
Chicago RULES, NY sucks and is overrated. Sorry, it's just a fact.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:30 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skompton View Post
chicago and NYC are more alike than any chicago or NYC hater would care to admit.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:52 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skompton View Post
That one thing 'rules' and another thing 'sucks' is an opinion, not a fact. I'm quite the fan of New York and my opinion is that it is a wonderful city, I'm also rather fond of Chicago, otherwise I would have moved away years ago.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:54 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,420 times
Because they wicked ritaaahdid.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 2,488 times
Chicago is ok....but i hate when people over on this website try and treat chicago wrong when they town dnt look like ****....so if any of yall want to sum bout chicago talk bout your ****in city!!!

Old 05-01-2010, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 2,488 times
***** dont try n treat chicago!!!!chi-town run it!!!waddup

Old 11-25-2010, 04:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,060 times
well being a lifelong chicagoan but also asian in heritage, i have also traveled to other cities outside the us and am lucky to be able to view the usa and her magnificent cities from an outside world view... talk about perspective... i agree that attempting to quantify a city in factual terms completely omits the human experience of living there... yes theres all the stuff that you can see plainly with a tour or that can be researched online but theres more to a city than what one can see only visiting - thats just the tip of the iceberg - and thats seemingly general for any city for anybody thats a guest inside another city - while i was on my trip to asia - let me tell you firsthand those people definitely march to the beat of a different drummer - thats just somethin you pick up by total immersion - not something that can be quantified in any factual manner... pickin up a wrigleyville/wickerpark/lincoln park vibe is different from lower manhattan vibe or just cali alone has their own west coast vibe - personally being observant, even including feeling vibes from my last destination Makati/North Edsa district, Manila, Phillipines...every vibe is different and cool for its variety and difference and how people do things differently all around, not just the best in one dimension... i mean if cities were the way to live, why wouldnt the world live in one large city? - for obvious reasons this cannot be how the world works... so some places are better at serving different needs for different people... it really is hard to compare other cities to each other with disregard or respect relative to others... let me say LA - great weather most of the time - and SoCal can lay claim with single totality the birth of many americans pastime and love : Hot-roddin...or the notion of drag racing altered or modified cars for kicks...i know theres ford chevy and dodge fans out there! NYC - the original american big city with its over the topness and running 24-7, home to multiple multinantionals and simultaneous multibillionares and millionares living in the same city same island (manhattan)...well then theres chi-town - mmm what can i say i lived here all my life - yes were tired of the **** politics, yes we do not like being portrayed as uneducated or unsophisticated or always on the hustle... theres a quiet beauty to this place that resonantes still waters runs deep - theres a strong level headed broad shouldered practicality that i feel in this place that makes more common sense to me than the trivial "trends" people focus on coming from the either coasts...its this forever paradox of bipolarness (conservative midwest character with street smart hustle/"walk quiet with a big stick") that puzzles me and yet fascinates me...however chicago is full of really rich history both globally significant and unimportant - you know if only these cities walls could talk....i love how chicago is blue collar dyed all the way through... there is much sentiment in this city that i like to think while LA is star studded hollywood all the way full of california girls - and nyc is the white collar/ make top level decisions/time is money - chicago is the city that works and pulls the nation on their backs - silent ,never in the limelight demanding no special recognition - it is the machine city with also massive infrastructure built upon more infrastructure on more infrastructure - it is also a city of massive scale and the freight/arline hub of the usa... there may not be a street vendor but trust me there is a joint that sells scrumptious munchies like that on every corner of every block in every neighborhood zipcode that has a phone areacode of 312 or 773...thats if you want avg streetcorner fare - then theres gene n judes/ flukys/ and johnnies beef to name a few....id definitely say maybe some chicagoans are arrogant but then there are arrogant people everywhere that attempt to infect their arrogance and impose it religiously, socially, or politically... thats like trying to say youll get away from death, **** happenning, or taxes... lets get real.... nobody can ever live somewhere and have all the marbles - that would be like telling kourtney kardashian to pick one pair of shoes or telling jay leno to drive only 1 car... or telling jimi hedrix to play one song...the world is a massive place and theres plenty of spectacles to behold and terrors to freeze your soul...and fyi about that makati vibe - well manila and metro area is only a fraction the size of chicago but it is home to 20 million plus - u want to talk about traffic problems or just the sheer human density of something like 25-30k people per sq kilometer! - inner city vibe is beautifully alive and colorful as it is vibrant - be thankful chi-town nyc and la arent like that...believe me, if the asian people can definitely do one thing - its build alot of stuff inside a limited amount of space... if theres definitely one thing i love about living here, the diversity of different levels of existence the possibilities are endless... for example one could be busy body/mr. buisness/agent on the cell phone in the Loop yet live very quiet and privately and peacefully in edgebrook/sauganash or inverness/south barrington. kinda like the weather around here sometimes - ive gone from using the a/c to using the heat in the car all in the same day... its my hope that the people around this region can help each other better one day to allow the city of chicago to grow better first to serve its existing inhabitants and then larger in the sense of being known as the city that works and the "can do" attitude to achieve anything... after all there isnt anything better than watching a hungry motivated fighter with charisma-and he doesnt have to be the biggest either... ask any filipino about manny pacquiao...

Old 11-25-2010, 04:28 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
^^ You're tokin' some unusually potent cantaloupe rinds if you expect anyone to read that ungainly blob of verbiage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City