U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-25-2010, 04:38 AM
 
1,666 posts, read 2,344,101 times
Reputation: 486

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
i dont know how anyone could say chicago. ny is definately the winner. and i dont see the fascination about chicago's skyline. yes its tall, modern, and lakefront, but ny is denser, larger, has more diversity, and is in all around better city. if i were to move to one it would definately be ny:better weather, more fun, more variety of food, and it would the most amazing thing walking around at midnight with no less people on the streets.

this is ny's skyline. just beautiful with the ocean and islands:
http://abodenyc.com/images/New%20York%20City%20Images/New-York-Skyline-Night%20-%20Fixed.jpg (broken link)

and chicago. yes its also beautiful but nothing like new york:
http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/19550...ht_skyline.jpg

los angeles with its mountains, san diego with the beaches and mountains, miami with its islands and beaches, and seattle and portland with mountains also havemagnificent skylines thanks to the natural beauty of the area, although the actual skylines are not comparable

los angeles:
http://mk23.image.pbase.com/u14/jazzmaster221/large/38725847.LosAngelesSkyline.jpg (broken link)

san diego
https://www.goclubexe.com/clubportal...03/skyline.jpg

seattle
http://www.seattleplace.com/images/S...l_Postcard.jpg

portland:
http://www.georgefox.edu/about/gallery/images/Image3.jpg (broken link)

miami:
http://www.usdoj.gov/ust/r21/images/Miami2.jpg (broken link)

the most underrated of all cities i think is Honolulu:
http://lodging4vacations.com/ko-olin...lu-skyline.jpg



Why cant you just except peoples personal opinon.

 
Old 11-25-2010, 04:50 AM
 
1,666 posts, read 2,344,101 times
Reputation: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Umm, it sounded like a relatively even-handed post by a person who just didn't like living in NYC. Maybe I'm getting tricked by a bizarro-dementor...but until I see some outrageous bias from him, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I personally prefer NYC to Chicago, but absolutely love Chicago and totally understand why some people prefer it over New York (cheaper, less congrested, less pretentious). Different strokes for different folks. I don't understand why if someone says they prefer something over NYC, some NY forumers act like they've just received a golden shower (posters like Oy & Infamous are notable exceptions, among others)...as if people like other cities because they hate that forumer personally.

In a quantitative-based comparison (bigger, stronger, more important, etc, etc), obviously New York City owns. However, not everyone wants to be in the biggest, most crowded place. Hopefully someday people will understand that.

Unfortunately this will never happen.. Its called the NYC mentality and there is a definition that goes along with it.. I love NYC and I prefer it over Chicago.. But that mentality I cant stand,..
 
Old 11-25-2010, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
4,462 posts, read 8,202,148 times
Reputation: 5491
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
i dont know how anyone could say chicago. ny is definately the winner. and i dont see the fascination about chicago's skyline. yes its tall, modern, and lakefront, but ny is denser, larger, has more diversity, and is in all around better city. if i were to move to one it would definately be ny:better weather, more fun, more variety of food, and it would the most amazing thing walking around at midnight with no less people on the streets.

this is ny's skyline. just beautiful with the ocean and islands:
http://abodenyc.com/images/New%20York%20City%20Images/New-York-Skyline-Night%20-%20Fixed.jpg (broken link)

and chicago. yes its also beautiful but nothing like new york:
http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/19550...ht_skyline.jpg

los angeles with its mountains, san diego with the beaches and mountains, miami with its islands and beaches, and seattle and portland with mountains also havemagnificent skylines thanks to the natural beauty of the area, although the actual skylines are not comparable

los angeles:
http://mk23.image.pbase.com/u14/jazzmaster221/large/38725847.LosAngelesSkyline.jpg (broken link)

san diego
https://www.goclubexe.com/clubportal...03/skyline.jpg

seattle
http://www.seattleplace.com/images/S...l_Postcard.jpg

portland:
http://www.georgefox.edu/about/gallery/images/Image3.jpg (broken link)

miami:
http://www.usdoj.gov/ust/r21/images/Miami2.jpg (broken link)

the most underrated of all cities i think is Honolulu:
http://lodging4vacations.com/ko-olin...lu-skyline.jpg
maybe because they are in denial?
 
Old 11-25-2010, 10:12 PM
 
Location: Chicago =)
304 posts, read 424,955 times
Reputation: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Why do you care what people think about Chicago or New York?

Have you ever been to Chicago? or New York? Or are you one of those sorts on the west coast thinking something along the lines of:

OMG, Chicago is in the Midwest, how gross, nothing remotely interesting could EVER come out of the midwest, ewww!

I have been to nyc and the east coast (boston/new england area where I have family) many, many times and have lived in Chicago for many, many years (pretty much my whole life) and have walked around some pretty crowded streets here at 3am too. Basically I look at it this way, I get about 75% of what I can get in new york here for about 50% of the price (try getting a one bedroom in the equivalent of Williamsburg, Brooklyn for $650 a month like I have ... yes, I have friends who live in Brooklyn, I've stayed in Williamsburg, Park Slope, and all those other places that goofy looking hipsters hang out, and my cousins from the east coast who have visited me have also made similar comments, I'm not just talking out my rear).

Don't get me wrong, I stated on more than one thread about nyc and chicago that there are many aspects of nyc that I prefer over chicago, but given that this discussion actually regularly exists leaves me to believe, for a city that is only 1/3 of the size of new york, we offer a pretty good take on urban living (now if they would only do something about the CTA and that absurd law that has banished street food vendors from downtown, I would be much happier).

Oh, and I agree, the Yankees are evil I tell you (but that comes from being related to too many New Englanders, I think that anyone less that one generation removed from New England is genetically predisposed to irrationally hate the New York Yankees
You pretty much summed up what I was thinking
 
Old 11-26-2010, 03:40 PM
 
Location: South Chicagoland
4,111 posts, read 7,351,225 times
Reputation: 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
i dont see the fascination about chicago's skyline. yes its tall, modern, and lakefront, but ny is denser, larger, has more diversity, and is in all around better city.
Yes, NYC does, in fact, have more diversity when you go on your computer and look up the statistics. Whoopty freakin do.






The only significant difference between NYC's and Chicago's racial make up is that Chicago has more black people and less Asians. And yet New Yorkers STILL like to act like their little Harlem means so much more than Chicago's Barrack Obama. How wonderful.

And BTW: Chicago has more diversity than Manhattan which is almost 50% white.


Last edited by urza216; 11-26-2010 at 03:49 PM..
 
Old 11-26-2010, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia,New Jersey, NYC!
6,967 posts, read 17,750,912 times
Reputation: 2616
Quote:
And BTW: Chicago has more diversity than Manhattan which is almost 50% white.
totally agree. manhattan is very white, thats where the $$$$$ is. and don't get fooled by the foot traffic
 
Old 11-26-2010, 06:17 PM
 
Location: NYC
457 posts, read 909,297 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

I personally prefer NYC to Chicago, but absolutely love Chicago and totally understand why some people prefer it over New York (cheaper, less congrested, less pretentious). Different strokes for different folks. I don't understand why if someone says they prefer something over NYC, some NY forumers act like they've just received a golden shower (posters like Oy & Infamous are notable exceptions, among others)...as if people like other cities because they hate that forumer personally.

In a quantitative-based comparison (bigger, stronger, more important, etc, etc), obviously New York City owns. However, not everyone wants to be in the biggest, most crowded place. Hopefully someday people will understand that.

Was going to way in, but this post pretty much sums up my feelings...
 
Old 01-04-2011, 09:44 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,486 times
Reputation: 10
Chicago and New York City are extremely similar and yet have such key differences; that's probably what always provokes discussions of comparison/contrast. I have lived in both; currently in Chicago. Both have aspects one could argue trumps the other--Chicago with its (albeit only slightly) taller buildings and (supposedly) friendlier people, NYC with its United Nations, monumental subway and generally far more (percievedly) national and world importance. New York is central in the country's mind, but Chicago is literally far more central than NY. You're kind of shoved all the way over on one side of the nation in NY. Yet, have to admit I love it and if money were no object I'd probably move back there. Always an interesting debate.
 
Old 01-04-2011, 12:23 PM
 
759 posts, read 1,619,184 times
Reputation: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb0000 View Post
Chicago and New York City are extremely similar and yet have such key differences; that's probably what always provokes discussions of comparison/contrast.
How are they "extremely similar"?

Were you the one who previously claimed they were "extremely similar" because they both had Mexicans? Kinda like Detroit and San Diego are "extremely similar" because they both have Mexicans?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb0000 View Post
I have lived in both; currently in Chicago. Both have aspects one could argue trumps the other--Chicago with its (albeit only slightly) taller buildings,
NYC has roughly six times more tall buildings than Chicago.

Chicago has roughly six times more tall buildings than Detroit.

To say that NYC is similar to Chicago because of "tall buildings" is to say that Chicago is similar to Detroit because of "tall buildings". (not sure where you got that Chicago has taller buildings than NYC; must be more of that "New Math").

Anyone with half a brain knows that all of Manhattan, most of the Bronx, and huge parts of Brooklyn, Queens and Jersey waterfront are covered with midrises and highrises.

In contrast, Chicago only has midrises and highrises downtown and along the lakefront. Most of the city consists of bungalows, three-flats, detached home neighborhoods with scattered u-shaped apartment buildings, and the like.

There is greater density in even some NYC suburbs (like Hoboken and Union City) than there is in places like Lincoln Park and Lakeview. There are places 15-20 miles from Midtown (like Brighton Beach) that have higher density than anything in Chicago outside of the Loop and Mag Mile area.

So, no, they are extremely different in terms of built form.

The only major similarities between NYC and Chicago are that they are major U.S. cities, have an older built form than the Sunbelt centers, are fairly centralized metros, and display much of the best and worst of American society.
 
Old 01-04-2011, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Washington, D.C.
276 posts, read 310,001 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb0000 View Post
friendlier people
People in NYC are friendlier than people in Chicago, but not by a large margin. NYC really isn't the rough and tough place that the media perceives it as, neither is Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top