U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 07:51 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,515,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Yes! Both colder in the winter AND hotter in the summer. The Dakotas, for instance, can get to -50 in the winter and 115 in the summer. That's nuts!
Yeah, the lake moderation effectively makes Chicago winters (if you are actually in the city and not far flung burbs) about the same as downstate IL or Indiana

Old 01-11-2011, 08:56 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,059,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
If you think Chicago has milder winters than cities in other midwestern states I'd beg to differ.
Spend a winter in Duluth or Fargo and get back to us.

Not only is it colder up there, but the kicker is that the winters are a month to 6 weeks longer. My ex in-laws had (still have for all I know) a cabin in northern Wisconsin. The average overnight low up there in January is -2. That's average meaning there are plenty of nights of 10 to 15 below. But that wasn't even the alarming part; you can always put on more layers and go about your business. The alarming part is there were some years where people were still snowmobiling across the lakes in April. Ice trial season (basically autocross on ice/snow) up there goes well into Mid-March -- meaning on St. Patrick's Day the ice is still thick enough to drive your car on the lakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Comparing winters in Chicago to Detroit for example Chicago definitely has harsher winters than here. When its cold here, its freezing in Chicago. Yes there are those exceptions but from my experiences in Chicago, it always seems colder in the winter and hotter in the summer there than it does here.
In Chicago the average January high is 30 and the average low is 15. In Detroit it's 31 and 18, respectively. The average July high in Chicago is 83 and the average low is 63. In Detroit the average July high and low are... 83 and 63. In short, the climates in Chicago and Detroit are identical.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:01 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,515,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Spend a winter in Duluth or Fargo and get back to us.

Not only is it colder up there, but the kicker is that the winters are a month to 6 weeks longer. My ex in-laws had (still have for all I know) a cabin in northern Wisconsin. The average overnight low up there in January is -2. That's average meaning there are plenty of nights of 10 to 15 below. But that wasn't even the alarming part; you can always put on more layers and go about your business. The alarming part is there were some years where people were still snowmobiling across the lakes in April. Ice trial season (basically autocross on ice/snow) up there goes well into Mid-March -- meaning on St. Patrick's Day the ice is still thick enough to drive your car on the lakes.

In Chicago the average January high is 30 and the average low is 15. In Detroit it's 31 and 18, respectively. The average July high in Chicago is 83 and the average low is 63. In Detroit the average July high and low are... 83 and 63. In short, the climates in Chicago and Detroit are identical.
I guess he doesn't understand the weather patterns, but he is right... of course, when it is cold in Detroit... it is freezing in Chicago...then 12 hours later, it is freezing in Detroit b/c most winter weather patterns move east. lol.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:07 PM

61 posts, read 69,981 times
I don't understand the Chicago vs. New York competition. Chicago has 2,695,000 and NYC has 8,300,000+ residents. A more apt comparison might be Chicago metro area with NYC or Chicago vs. Brooklyn as the latter comparison makes more sense...the whole Chicago vs. NY competition is coming from Chicago; no one in New York is going about how much better NYC is than Chicago...If people know anything about Chicago it's Al Capone, Oprah and the recent humiliation of Olympics, Blago and high population loss...

Old 02-20-2011, 03:50 PM

3,696 posts, read 4,521,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
No one in their right mind thinks Chicago is better than N.Y. .......what a ridiculous idea.
I prefer Chicago. I don't need reasons to explain why. I just do. Why don't people get flak if they say they prefer San Francisco to New York? People usually don't say "You're out of your mind if you prefer SF to NYC".

**And Cambridge..its funny you say it "always comes from Chicago" when the title of this thread suggests otherwise.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:29 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,823,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I prefer Chicago. I don't need reasons to explain why. I just do. Why don't people get flak if they say they prefer San Francisco to New York? People usually don't say "You're out of your mind if you prefer SF to NYC".

**And Cambridge..its funny you say it "always comes from Chicago" when the title of this thread suggests otherwise.
why do people get flak(w/e that means) when people say they prefer a city over a city?

Because some people have some weird reasons as to why they pick that city.

me personally i could care less what city anyone chooses but if your reasons for picking a city over a city doesn't make any sense then i cant take you seriously.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:32 PM

The only reason why i think people love comparing chicago to nyc is because of the media.

If the media were to start comparing Dallas to nyc everyday of the week starting right now then we would see "Why do people think Dallas is better new york" threads all over city-data.

no hate to Dallas i like Texas so i apologize for bringing your name out like that.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:46 PM

3,696 posts, read 4,521,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
why do people get flak(w/e that means) when people say they prefer a city over a city?

Because some people have some weird reasons as to why they pick that city.

me personally i could care less what city anyone chooses but if your reasons for picking a city over a city doesn't make any sense then i cant take you seriously.
Flak is a slang term. Excuse my improper speech. I am saying that if someone would say they prefer SF over NYC, or Miami over NYC, or LA over NYC, nobody would say anything. But if somebody says they prefer Chicago over NYC they usually get a remark like "you're out of your mind" or something of that nature. People can like Chicago or NYC or wherever over any city they wish to. There are vibes and attractions in some cities that people prefer over others. You don't need a statistical quantitative reason to say why you like one city over another. You just do.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Flak is a slang term. Excuse my improper speech. I am saying that if someone would say they prefer SF over NYC, or Miami over NYC, or LA over NYC, nobody would say anything. But if somebody says they prefer Chicago over NYC they usually get a remark like "you're out of your mind" or something of that nature. People can like Chicago or NYC or wherever over any city they wish to. There are vibes and attractions in some cities that people prefer over others. You don't need a statistical quantitative reason to say why you like one city over another. You just do.
your right you don't. I strongly believe in a vibe because i would prefer living in Philly over Chicago and even DC but im sure people on here would ask why in a confusing gesture.

But being on city-data this past year i have noticed people say "your out of your mind" when comparing any city to nyc. I guess nyc is top notch in the majority of categories you put it in against a city.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:57 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,513,461 times
Default quiet quality > condescending abrasive arrogance

Revisiting this thread, I am particularly fond of the Chicago's North Shore. It is truly a place of immense quiet quality. This is where I grew up. Chicago itself is a magnificent city, but doesn't brag about this fact. Extraordinary in every way, but not in-your-face with it.

NY is too damn in-your-face. Nothing subtle about the place. It too is an extraordinary city, and the people there let you know every waking hour. NY a very unsettling place, too damn aggressive and intrusive in its magnificence.

I prefer quiet quality as it is experienced in the Midwest, not the insulting, condescending arrogance that is NY even when it is expressed quietly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or