Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 03:07 PM

12,000 posts, read 12,842,421 times

Advertisements

Being able to go to a beach right in DT Chicago truly is a unique experience and IMO nothing IN New York City is as cool the Lake Michigan waterfront. But, while kind of far out in Queens, Rockaway is a very cool beach town with unreal views of NYC. What gives NYC the edge when it comes to waterfront is the plethora of options outside of the city from Long Island, New Jersey, Cape Cod, Delaware, MD, etc.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:31 PM

48 posts, read 63,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Having a car is almost like having a ball and chain in the city of Chicago.
Well then I guess most folks in Chicago like carrying around metaphorical "balls and chains".

If you check out the Census, the vast majority of Chicagoans own cars. In fact, there are significantly more two-car households than no-car households.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
That census must be referring to the metro area. Either that or you made it up.
No, the Census is referring to the city. Suburban Chicago grew, while Chicago proper shrank.

Just Google Chicago + Census and you'll read all sorts of articles about the population loss. It was a big deal when it was released a few months back.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
If you want to drive, sure the larger AREA around NYC will have more/better beaches. But as far as beaches directly adjacent to the CITY, Chicago takes the cake easily.
This is completely untrue. There are far, far more beaches IN NYC.

The Rockaways alone have far more beachfront than all of Chicago. And unlike any Chicago beach, the subway is right next to the beach.

And there is no comparison between an ocean beach and a lake beach.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
^ However, in the example of NYC's oceans and Chicago's Lake Michigan, there really is noting you can do in the ocean that can't be done on the lake.
Huh?

I can surf or boogieboard?

I can go deep-sea fishing?

I can smell the sea air?

I have no idea why some folks think a lake and ocean are the same thing. There is a huge surf culture in the Rockaways. How are you going to surf in a lake? LOL!

Heck, maybe a puddle of water is the same as an ocean! It's just water!

Old 04-27-2011, 03:52 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,619,974 times
People think a lot of things, really.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:07 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,254,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliNo View Post
Huh?

I can smell the sea air?

I have no idea why some folks think a lake and ocean are the same thing. There is a huge surf culture in the Rockaways. How are you going to surf in a lake? LOL!

Okay, how are you going to catch fresh water fish in an ocean?

How are you going to safely make it to shore when a huge storm occurs?

How are you going to get off the crappy feel of salt water when you're not near a shower?

Old 04-27-2011, 04:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,053 times
Chicago is just smaller than NYC, but its amenities are pretty close in quality

Old 04-27-2011, 05:30 PM

674 posts, read 1,050,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliNo View Post
Huh?

I can smell the sea air?

You can certainly surf on Lake Michigan, smelling the sea air is subjective. You can definitely smell the water on the lake, even if it's not salty sea air.

But you're right about deep sea fishing. Since everybody located on the coast does that frequently enough for it to count.

I honestly think some people picture the common idea of a "lake" upon hearing the words Lake Michigan.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:08 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,154,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post

I honestly think some people picture the common idea of a "lake" upon hearing the words Lake Michigan.
On the reals jo.

Let's drop their arses off in the middle of Lake Michigan and see if they can swim ashore.

AFter all, it's just a small lake.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:56 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,063,528 times
Lake michigan and chicago seems to be the same thing as the hudson river and nyc. New yorkers would never swim in any body of water located beside midtown or downtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City