U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-08-2012, 10:10 AM
 
4,945 posts, read 8,266,499 times
Reputation: 2037

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
My grammars always been good but why all the hate you don't even live in NYC or Chicago?
Game, set, match! (grammars)...

 
Old 07-08-2012, 10:13 AM
 
4,945 posts, read 8,266,499 times
Reputation: 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
^^^DC's Finest do you have some grudge against Chicago. Ive recently seen you post negative things about this city on the forum. Also, you can't get mad that people like chicago's offerings more than NY, its just their thoughts and opinions. Also, size isn't everything, many magazines any websites vote Chicago as a better food city, and bar city. However, I am neutral in my vote since I like things about both cities.
Chicago is my second favorite city behind DC. If it wasn't so cold in the winter, I could definitely live there. Why would I get mad at someone's opinion?
 
Old 07-08-2012, 10:25 AM
 
4,945 posts, read 8,266,499 times
Reputation: 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS085 View Post
Name 10.

Most people around the US dont know Manhattan from Brooklyn, and cant even name all 5 boros, let alone neighborhoods.

Outside the US? I would love to see that.

Chicago isnt a city mainly of islands, so naturally, it doesnt have many bridges.

The UN was considered for SF, Boston, Philly and Chicago among others. European countries didnt want it in America that the time.

NYC has a lot of tacky parades. Thats no reason why its necessarily better than Chicago.

NYC has historically been the setting of many films ever since this country became a superpower. It was the model city for the world during that time. Of course people are going to know certain landmarks.
Answer my questions first? You keep stating...."so what NYC has 26 subway lines that run 24 hours a day....how does that make it better than the El?" This thread has become ridiculous because you have no answers. All of the things I mentioned, make NYC great. Chicago is also great but it's not on NYC's level by any means. Just because you can't afford to live in Manhattan doesn't give your argument any foundation. Somewhere in Iowa, someone is complaining that Chicago is too expensive and they have everything they need in Des Moines.
 
Old 07-08-2012, 10:36 AM
 
4,945 posts, read 8,266,499 times
Reputation: 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Because one day he flew into Midway which literally borders the suburbs and is surrounded by hotels and industrial areas (as one would expect a major airport to be) and he thinks the area is representative of all of Chicago.
Wrong! Here's my argument. I've explored most of Chicago and it is a tale of 2 extremes. On one side, there is extreme urbanity (more urban than most east coast cities). On the other end, parts of the city are very suburban (large swaths of suburban looking streets that run for miles inside of the city). No city in the U.S. with the exception of NYC has the enormous offerings of high rise living. But where the great equalizer lies is Chicago has an abundance of neighborhoods featuring single family homes. My argument has always been that row houses are more urban than flats/bungalows. We are giving Chicago praise for it's urbanity but forgetting about the large suburban areas that permeate the south side. It's strip mall heaven in some places. All cities have these areas but they are more abundant in Chicago because of its size.
 
Old 07-08-2012, 10:40 AM
 
4,945 posts, read 8,266,499 times
Reputation: 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS085 View Post
I was always taught from a young age to NOT eat it. It was for tourists.


What is a "Midwest attitude"?


I jaywalk in every city I go to. Havent been told not to yet, even though in some cities it aint legal.
Not eating street food, or from food trucks, vendors, and not jay walking. This is not the culture of the midwest.
 
Old 07-08-2012, 10:50 AM
 
451 posts, read 575,140 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Answer my questions first? You keep stating...."so what NYC has 26 subway lines that run 24 hours a day....how does that make it better than the El?" This thread has become ridiculous because you have no answers. All of the things I mentioned, make NYC great. Chicago is also great but it's not on NYC's level by any means. Just because you can't afford to live in Manhattan doesn't give your argument any foundation. Somewhere in Iowa, someone is complaining that Chicago is too expensive and they have everything they need in Des Moines.

Im not the one making ridiculous claims. I asked you how Chicago is "incredibly short" of NYC, and you list subway lines.. because if theres no better indicator of a quality city, its the number of subway lines.

You answered my questions with questions, and I have to answer you?

It looks like youre the one who needs to really answer here. Music, food, entertainment, affordability, weather, etc. what does Chicago fall "incredibly short" of?

Is it the number of bars? restaurants? architecture? what is it? Back up your claims.
 
Old 07-08-2012, 10:53 AM
 
451 posts, read 575,140 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Wrong! Here's my argument. I've explored most of Chicago and it is a tale of 2 extremes. On one side, there is extreme urbanity (more urban than most east coast cities). On the other end, parts of the city are very suburban (large swaths of suburban looking streets that run for miles inside of the city). No city in the U.S. with the exception of NYC has the enormous offerings of high rise living. But where the great equalizer lies is Chicago has an abundance of neighborhoods featuring single family homes. My argument has always been that row houses are more urban than flats/bungalows. We are giving Chicago praise for it's urbanity but forgetting about the large suburban areas that permeate the south side. It's strip mall heaven in some places. All cities have these areas but they are more abundant in Chicago because of its size.

Those cities are also much older and werent rebuilt.
 
Old 07-08-2012, 10:55 AM
 
451 posts, read 575,140 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Not eating street food, or from food trucks, vendors, and not jay walking. This is not the culture of the midwest.

Sky is blue?


Do you really think most people from NYC eat the street food?


Im not talking about Jonah from Ames, IA who just recently moved to Fort Greene.
 
Old 07-08-2012, 10:57 AM
 
451 posts, read 575,140 times
Reputation: 137
Rome has more monuments than NYC, so I guess by your logic NYC falls "incredibly short" of Rome.


You have yet to give any concrete reasons why Chicago falls incredibly short. Name bars, restaurants, entertainment options for example. Does Chicago have 8,000 less bars? What is it? Your claims suggest to me that the best of Chicago doesnt come close to comparing with the best of NYC, which I think is ludicrous.

You listed monuments instead.
 
Old 07-08-2012, 10:59 AM
 
Location: In the heights
20,136 posts, read 21,752,589 times
Reputation: 10223
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS085 View Post
Sky is blue?


Do you really think most people from NYC eat the street food?


Im not talking about Jonah from Ames, IA who just recently moved to Fort Greene.
Actually, given the proliferation of high quality food trucks, the press they get and the use of mobile internet, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top