U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2012, 12:05 PM

451 posts, read 574,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Ok, I will do it slowly. The people who live there eat street food. Why would someone go to Bed Stuy to get street food? WTF?

I have no clue. I also have no idea why you even brought that into this. What do tourists eating street food have to do with Bed-Stuy and Bensonhurst? Right! Nothing. The subject was tourists if you forgot.

Im not addressing this anymore because it has nothing to do with the ridiculous claim you made pages ago, anyway.

Try to focus on one subject.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:14 PM

8,385 posts, read 9,945,414 times
Quote:
Chicago is great but it's not #2 in everything! It's easily top 2 to 5 in a lot of city rankings. NY is clearly #1 by a large margin.
I see what you mean. Most Americans when asked would probably say Los Angeles is the #2 city in general.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 07-08-2012 at 12:34 PM..

Old 07-08-2012, 12:24 PM

Economically? 2nd in the US as well.

GEPI rankings.

The 25 Most Economically Powerful Cities in the World - Jobs & Economy - The Atlantic Cities

Old 07-08-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Montreal has better nightlife than just about any city in the US barring NYC--definitely better than Chicago.

Also, do you live in Chicago now?

Not yet!

In Upstate NY right now. I go to Toronto and Montreal quite a bit.

I value more than just clubs in regards to nightlife. Vegas and Miami are too club-centric for my taste. Theres gotta be variety, and along with NYC, Chicago might have the best overall, meaning taking everything it has to offer into consideration.

Weather is also no issue. Canadian city nightlife is much better than American in most cases.

Philly and SF nightlife id put on par with eachother for comparison sake.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:03 PM

4,945 posts, read 8,260,768 times
People go to Miami and Vegas just to party! Nobody goes to Chicago just to bar it up. The experience at these places are unmatched. A bar is a bar is a bar.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm going by ethnic diversity, access to fresh produce and seafood, and number of Michelin stars and Zagat reviews for food (as well as personal experience) which definitely puts Bay Area above Chicago in most contexts. In my personal experience, I'd put LA above Chicago as well, but it's also because I do uber expensive haut cuisine at most twice a year (where Chicago would probably blow LA away unless we're talking about sushi/seafood).

I don't put the performing arts and museums together. They are such different industries and entertainment venues that I can't see how it goes together unless the idea is just high-falutin' cultural amenities. Anyhow, I separated them and Chicago is not an undisputed 2nd together or separately.

I don't think it's possible to even budge on being below LA for media overall--and this is across almost all sectors. Against the Bay Area, DC, and Atlanta is definitely arguable so maybe it gets to 3rd.

I like Chicago a lot, but it definitely is about one level down from NYC (as are any of the other cities we're talking about here) if we're talking about cultural amenities/offerings and global/national clout. It's also no longer the undisputed second given how hard the city had been hit by urban decay and how much momentum had gone into the metros of the west and south along with DC.

I am going mainly by personal experience and online rankings. Hell, most people on here said theyd go to Chicago if money werent an issue.

Chicago food comes in all types. Cheap, high-end, hole in the wall, 5 star, and the variety and specialty IMO is only on par with NYC. SF would be third, Philly 4th and LA 5th.

DC's strength is museums. Theater and opera, however, go to Chicago. Chicago has its fair share of top museums. Largest aquarium until this past year.

I think when all things are considered, (economy, architecture, food, nightlife, demographics, museums/theater/opera, etc.) Chicago most certainly at the least is third, and comes in 2nd ahead of LA.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:09 PM

2,561 posts, read 4,867,738 times
Quote:
People go to Miami and Vegas just to party! Nobody goes to Chicago just to bar it up. The experience at these places are unmatched. A bar is a bar is a bar.
This isn't fact. I have globe trotting friends with deep pockets in West Los Angeles that travel to Chicago at least once a year just to hit the bar scene there.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:

A club is just a club.

See what I did there?

Dive bars, sports bars, micropubs, lounges, jazz/blues, etc. A bar is cleary not just a bar.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:14 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,147,036 times
After reading the OP, the real question is: Why do you care what other people like?

I don't get how people get so bent out of shape for what amounts to other people's opinions. There are some things in life that you can't really argue such as NYC has more people than Chicago, we need oxygen to survive, or touching a hot coal will burn your hand.

However, when it comes to what people like or dislike or something such as "why do people think ____ is better" Well because they can, and you can't do anything about it over the internet.

Really that simple.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:18 PM

Woops, I meant Philly 3rd and SF 4th for food, but this is about Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or