U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 02:46 PM

12,391 posts, read 23,771,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Hate the sh-t out of NYC so Chicago will have to do for me, even though I am not fond of the climate or scenery there.
why don't you like NYC??? Great City, as is Chicago...

For crime though, Chicago definitely has an issue.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:53 PM

278 posts, read 534,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
You are missing the point. The point being that Chicago has much much more crime than New York.
Chicago's murder rate and that the most serious crime is over four times that of NYC. Other crime rates are much higher as well.

Chicago is much more dangerous than New York. Natural choice?
Yeah, maybe statistically it is more dangerous than New York. But the thing is, Chicago's major crimes are isolated to very specific regions- regions that people visiting Chicago would never go, see, or be affected by. In fact, they're regions that I rarely see, go, or am affected by living here. If you have zero gang affiliation, the chances of violent crime being committed against you is very slim. Chicago does have a crime problem, no denying that. But it definitely doesn't prevent people from comfortably living and visiting Chicago and Chicagoans who mind their own business will tell you that we don't walk around in any fear.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:03 PM

2,346 posts, read 3,198,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Really I think cities with high crime are cesspools but I like Chicago, reminds me of home sometimes. Chicago's got a slew of world class things to see and do, I enjoy Shedd, the pier, art institute place, magmile, and the slew of good restaurants. I feel like I gain 15lbs just thinking of tasty Chicago food. I can make an exception for Chicago on the crime but the rest of the high crime cities like Miami, Baltimore, Phily, Detroit, New Orleans all suck eggs. Mere mention of these cities and I'm already ducking from what my natural instincts tell me is a bullet, even in my own home.

Yes I really hate those eastern cities that much then add the inferior-ass weather and POS looking filthy cities and it gets even worse. Look at Baltimore for instance that city looks like its stuck in a time warp from 2 centuries ago, the rail tracks for its transit is rusting away and chipping off. Break a piece off and give it to your kid, tell him its what your great grandfather helped give to the city. Don't even get me started on the inferior-ass scenery, only easties brag about driving an hour to get there its laughable because where I live its 2 miles away and I live right next to the big city. Hate the politics back east also, you have your classic nutjobs like Romney, Santorum, and Trump all hailing from the big 3 of the east.

Last edited by scrantiX; 07-13-2012 at 03:45 PM..

Old 07-13-2012, 04:01 PM

11,015 posts, read 21,572,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
Yeah, maybe statistically it is more dangerous than New York. But the thing is, Chicago's major crimes are isolated to very specific regions- regions that people visiting Chicago would never go, see, or be affected by. In fact, they're regions that I rarely see, go, or am affected by living here. If you have zero gang affiliation, the chances of violent crime being committed against you is very slim. Chicago does have a crime problem, no denying that. But it definitely doesn't prevent people from comfortably living and visiting Chicago and Chicagoans who mind their own business will tell you that we don't walk around in any fear.
You realize you're all probably fighting with a child or just a bored troll when everyone responds to him.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:54 PM

2,924 posts, read 2,267,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
lol I can read any post I wish, especially those I find blatantly ignorant. This coming from someone who has trolled any thread mentioning Chicago. Better 'watch it'
Ignorant, kid? Learn to support your statements with evidence. Chicago crime is famous nationwide and loss of population is documented by census bureau. I don't think you understand what ignorant means... grapico just posted some info on Chicago - read it maybe you'll learn something. Chicago's claimed that it is smaller more laid back version of NYC is laughable in light of persistent crime problem.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
You realize you're all probably fighting with a child or just a bored troll when everyone responds to him.
Yes. And I bet Arianna Huffington is just bashing Chicago

Old 07-13-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Really I think cities with high crime are cesspools but I like Chicago, reminds me of home sometimes. Chicago's got a slew of world class things to see and do, I enjoy Shedd, the pier, art institute place, magmile, and the slew of good restaurants. I feel like I gain 15lbs just thinking of tasty Chicago food. I can make an exception for Chicago on the crime but the rest of the high crime cities like Miami, Baltimore, Phily, Detroit, New Orleans all suck eggs. Mere mention of these cities and I'm already ducking from what my natural instincts tell me is a bullet, even in my own home.

Yes I really hate those eastern cities that much then add the inferior-ass weather and POS looking filthy cities and it gets even worse. Look at Baltimore for instance that city looks like its stuck in a time warp from 2 centuries ago, the rail tracks for its transit is rusting away and chipping off. Break a piece off and give it to your kid, tell him its what your great grandfather helped give to the city. Don't even get me started on the inferior-ass scenery, only easties brag about driving an hour to get there its laughable because where I live its 2 miles away and I live right next to the big city. Hate the politics back east also, you have your classic nutjobs like Romney, Santorum, and Trump all hailing from the big 3 of the east.
What does it all have to do with the topic???

Old 07-13-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
why don't you like NYC??? Great City, as is Chicago...

I would just it is definetely more dangerous than New York. Again. Point for NYC

Old 07-13-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
You believe that? Look at the article from Huffington post I quoted above.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:13 PM

8,641 posts, read 8,778,597 times
Because you don't choose where to live based in GDP of a Metro area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or