U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2007, 07:23 PM

718 posts, read 2,444,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Yup, more evidence that he knows nothing about baseball.
Future cop im not going to get into an arguement over baseball knowledge. I deal with stocks for a living and tuned my math skills by calculating players averages, era's, etc. and this was before we had things like pocket held calculators or the internet (the main source of your knowledge). I couldn't even begin to digress, so ill stop there.no point i dealing with a new yorkers hot air.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:39 PM

20,005 posts, read 68,074,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
Future cop im not going to get into an arguement over baseball knowledge. I deal with stocks for a living and tuned my math skills by calculating players averages, era's, etc. and this was before we had things like pocket held calculators or the internet (the main source of your knowledge). I couldn't even begin to digress, so ill stop there.no point i dealing with a new yorkers hot air.
Geez, for someone dealing with stocks Id expect to see some correct capitalization, punctuation, etc, etc.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:56 PM

167 posts, read 228,187 times
It's just a matter of preference. Some prefer one over the other. I love both cities for what they are and what they have to offer.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:01 AM

718 posts, read 2,444,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Geez, for someone dealing with stocks Id expect to see some correct capitalization, punctuation, etc, etc.
For someone who has spelling as an strong or atleast feels the need to make people think he does, I'd expect to see some correct punctuation.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:59 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,057,283 times
Default Apples and Oranges

These are two very unique, but very dynamic cities and IMO the only two real cities in this country. Both are powerhouses. Chicago stands alone in the midwest. To appreciate it, you have to have grown up there, watched programs like Romper Room, Frazier Thomas, Creature Feature, the great movies on TV, and other programs that were a part of "the Golden Age" that defined Chicago TV programming for so long. Great neighborhoods, nice midwestern ambiance. It's a place that is uniquely midwestern in its down-to-earth, almost corny people, genuine good-naturedness, and quiet quality.

New York stands alone. It's big, brash, and in-your-face. Plenty of pizazz! New Yorkers know every damn thing and just don't know when to shut the hell up. They have more answers than questions. I'll take Chicago, specifically the North Shore, if only for the peace of mind.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:40 AM

1,134 posts, read 859,964 times
Default more like deep-dish and thin crust

Come to think of it, I wasn't actually aware that people in general thought Chicago was better. Maybe I'm on the one side of the country that doesn't much care. The best side.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:49 AM

2,502 posts, read 7,900,083 times
I definitely prefer Chicago.

1. The people are typically much nicer and friendlier.

2. The Loop / other prominent areas are much cleaner than their NY equivalents.

3. More natural scenery.

4. Better public transportation (usually).

5. Good nighlife, restaurants, and shopping...all for much cheaper than in NYC.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:41 PM

86 posts, read 447,033 times
Referring to above ^^

1. The people are typically much nicer and friendlier. probably true

2. The Loop / other prominent areas are much cleaner than their NY equivalents. true

3. More natural scenery. disagree. If you mean parks, thats arguable but id say the area surrounding NYC is more interesting

4. Better public transportation (usually). disagree. dont know where you got this one

5. Good nighlife, restaurants, and shopping...all for much cheaper than NYC.
definitely cheaper overall. It depends on what your willing to trade off between cost of living and the benefits from living in NYC.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:28 AM

1,134 posts, read 859,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDigital85 View Post

It depends on what your willing to trade off between cost of living and the benefits[/b] from living in NYC.
Then again, I don't know too much about people who think New York is better than Chicago. The benefits are neglegible, and if there are any, not many.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:33 AM

2,502 posts, read 7,900,083 times
Quote:
4. Better public transportation (usually). disagree. dont know where you got this one
Maybe not better, as they both suit their purpose equally well. Perhaps "more comfortable" is the term I should have used. From what I've experienced of NYC subways, they're typically dingy and very crowded. It's not a terrible experience, but it's not pleasant either. On the other hand, I've had great experiences on the Metra - clean, lots of room, comfortable seats, etc. Even the L is much nicer than I would have expected.

Quote:
3. More natural scenery. disagree. If you mean parks, thats arguable but id say the area surrounding NYC is more interesting
I didn't necessarily mean parks...just the general picture. NYC does have it's own charm, but Chicago just strikes me as more aesthetic. It could be the lake, with all the walking paths and grassy patches...I don't know. More flowers and trees. More green in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or