U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 07:27 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,455,577 times

Advertisements

I don't think many people necessarily think Chicago is a better city, I think that many people simply find Chicago to better for themselves. I mean, if you asked most people (including Chicagoans) more objective things such as which city is the most lively, most powerful, most diverse, most dynamic, and most premier city in the US, they'd say New York. I think there's just many people that prefer Chicago over New York, and there's absolutely nothing wrong, strange, or incorrect about that preference. I mean, Chicago isn't just a smaller New York, it's a completely different city with its own vibe and lifestyle. Though I prefer New York, I'm rational enough to realize that since more than one personality exists among the human population, one city isn't going to be loved by everyone...which is something a lot of people in this thread seem to have trouble comprehending.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:45 PM

2,203 posts, read 4,012,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
...which is something a lot of people in this thread seem to have trouble comprehending.

Welcome to City Data!

You're going to love it!

Old 07-13-2012, 09:12 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,455,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Welcome to City Data!

You're going to love it!
Haha. That certainly wasn't a new revelation, I pretty much learned that the first day I joined haha.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:26 PM

313 posts, read 274,121 times
"why do people think chicago is better than new york?"

Because people have this thing called opinions.

I know, I know, how appalling.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:39 PM

774 posts, read 1,347,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
I don't think many people necessarily think Chicago is a better city, I think that many people simply find Chicago to better for themselves. I mean, if you asked most people (including Chicagoans) more objective things such as which city is the most lively, most powerful, most diverse, most dynamic, and most premier city in the US, they'd say New York. I think there's just many people that prefer Chicago over New York, and there's absolutely nothing wrong, strange, or incorrect about that preference. I mean, Chicago isn't just a smaller New York, it's a completely different city with its own vibe and lifestyle.
Exactly. I will freely admit that NYC probably has much better amenities (museums, etc). I could never live there though, much prefer the city of Chicago--cleaner, calmer....not quite the rat race that NYC feels like sometimes.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:40 PM

11,219 posts, read 7,630,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
i dont know how anyone could say chicago. ny is definately the winner. and i dont see the fascination about chicago's skyline. yes its tall, modern, and lakefront, but ny is denser, larger, has more diversity, and is in all around better city. if i were to move to one it would definately be ny:better weather, more fun, more variety of food, and it would the most amazing thing walking around at midnight with no less people on the streets.
The skyscraper was born in Chicago. Who wants a denser, larger city? The only thing that NYC has is a milder winter. THAT'S IT!
Chicago is known for its food and restaurants and you can find foods from all the world. Chicago is more livable and easier to navigate around and has much FRIENDLIER people!

CHICAGO FTW!

Old 07-13-2012, 11:09 PM

12,391 posts, read 23,838,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
Yeah, maybe statistically it is more dangerous than New York. But the thing is, Chicago's major crimes are isolated to very specific regions- regions that people visiting Chicago would never go, see, or be affected by. In fact, they're regions that I rarely see, go, or am affected by living here. If you have zero gang affiliation, the chances of violent crime being committed against you is very slim. Chicago does have a crime problem, no denying that. But it definitely doesn't prevent people from comfortably living and visiting Chicago and Chicagoans who mind their own business will tell you that we don't walk around in any fear.
You don't think other cities crimes are also isolated? ...Chicago needs to get it's crime in check. As we were talking about this I just saw a special on it that ran... Chicago homicide is up 38% this year, NYC is down 12%...

Note this is not taking any other merits away from Chicago, but I don't know anybody who thinks crime is a good thing.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:22 PM

313 posts, read 274,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
You don't think other cities crimes are also isolated? ...Chicago needs to get it's crime in check. As we were talking about this I just saw a special on it that ran... Chicago homicide is up 38% this year, NYC is down 12%...

Note this is not taking any other merits away from Chicago, but I don't know anybody who thinks crime is a good thing.

Why Are Crime Stats Up in New York City? -- Daily Intel

???

Old 07-13-2012, 11:44 PM

12,391 posts, read 23,838,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceisforAce View Post

You need to learn reading comprehension, your link just confirmed what I just said. Actually my statistics were more conservative, but thanks though for affirming what I already said. If you are new to this board, I do NOT post erroneous stats. I suggest you try this with another poster, and in the future, perhaps you should alleviate your questions marks, whatever you think they stood for which you couldn't articulate for some reason. My stats were current and approximate as of this evening by the way, and not as of June per your link, but very well, it was even worse than this last month.

From your article.

"murders are down 15.6 percent."

Forthcoming you will find my post you already quoted, this time italicized so you will read it more critically. I added the bit of bold to what you must have just blown by in your urgency of defense. You do know what a homicide is correct? And I actually used the correct term, rather than the article using murder, which is just a type of homicide and not necessarily intention, but the meaning came across nevertheless. It would actually be impossible to deem a murder statistic accurately due to the nature of our judicial system, but I will cut that journalist *cough*hack*cough* some slack for the misused sensationalist terminology.

"
Originally Posted by grapico

Note this is not taking any other merits away from Chicago, but I don't know anybody who thinks crime is a good thing."

Old 07-13-2012, 11:47 PM

6,621 posts, read 11,217,302 times
Because some people smoke an awful lot of crack and don't know what they're talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or