Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 07:21 PM

214 posts, read 673,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
And this number is based on what? Crystal ball? Come back when you have some verifiable data.
Read the other threads. I'm not your Google. I'm not even debating or arguing with you. I stated a fact. You want a source, look it up. It's been beaten to death on C-D, in both the c-v-c forum and on the Chicago forum. I can read, and then I can bring the facts up here.

Your attitude sucks and your points suck. Why don't you try visiting an area? Stats are for losers who thrive on minutiae and the false notion of correlation and causation.

I have no horse in this fight, but if you don't notice the trend toward young people wishing to live in hyper urban areas, you're nothing more than a keyboard warrior with a wet-dream fascination with statistics.

Have fun!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
And this number is based on what? Crystal ball? Come back when you have some verifiable data.
Like it would matter to you anyway --you'd either doubt the source or ignore the data or find some reason why it's irrelevant and find some new angle of attack.

Same shtik, different screen name.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:44 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,520,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspper69 View Post
Read the other threads. I'm not your Google. I'm not even debating or arguing with you. I stated a fact. You want a source, look it up. It's been beaten to death on C-D, in both the c-v-c forum and on the Chicago forum. I can read, and then I can bring the facts up here.

Your attitude sucks and your points suck. Why don't you try visiting an area? Stats are for losers who thrive on minutiae and the false notion of correlation and causation.

I have no horse in this fight, but if you don't notice the trend toward young people wishing to live in hyper urban areas, you're nothing more than a keyboard warrior with a wet-dream fascination with statistics.

Have fun!
Fantastic post.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 PM

313 posts, read 354,570 times
Quote:
And what do you propose instead? Housing projects? Makinh Manhattan what it was in the 80s just for the sake of misapplied "social justice"?

When something is as attractive as New York it is bound to be very exclusive, very expensive. What else can happen?

I dont know, maybe retain some of the character and local shops instead of replacing everything with chains? Corporate America isnt what made New York streets, its the people, its the diversity, and the more people that are priced out, the more you lose that.

There are a ton of cities that retain their character yet still function as a global city. Boston, Philly, SF, Chicago, etc.

I only get that in the outer boroughs.

Unfortunately, NYC is the figurehead for where this country is going economically. Thats its downfall IMO. Sometimes, I think, the whole 'capital' moniker is too much for its own good. Manhattan is becoming entirely too homogenized, sadly. It also unfortunately attracts the most neurotic people from all over like moths to a light.

As far as COL, There is absolutely no justification in paying out the ass for something im getting of the same quality or better, elsewhere, and it seems most transplants to the city have convinced themselves otherwise. After awhile, it just becomes too much.

Chicago to me is more like Brooklyn, which is a good thing.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceisforAce View Post
I dont know, maybe retain some of the character and local shops instead of replacing everything with chains?
And how do you propose we achieve that?
Quote:
Corporate America isnt what made New York streets, its the people, its the diversity, and the more people that are priced out, the more you lose that.
Oh, spare me your propaganda, comrade. New York would never be what it is without Stuyvesants, Vanderbilds, Rockefellers, Carnegies and other big corporate American companies.
From Chrysler Building to Grand Central corporate America build this city. Every one of our founding fathers was a businesmen.
Yes, business (what you today call corporate America) made this city great and prosperous. Did you actually think it was the government built the city?

Quote:
There are a ton of cities that retain their character yet still function as a global city. Boston, Philly, SF, Chicago, etc.
First of all they are changing too only a little slower. Second: I have no idea what it means when you say these cities function as global cities. What exactly is the global city function?
It is just a loose descriptive term coined by sociologists. Its not a specific function. Third, none of the cities you mentioned is as globally influential or global as New York. What is your point?
Quote:
As far as COL, There is absolutely no justification in paying out the ass for ssomething im getting of the same quality or better, elsewhere, and it seems most transplants to the city have convinced themselves otherwise. After awhile, it just becomes too much.
Why are youg telling me? Tell it to all the people that still spend on one bedroom in New York what would be enough for a mortgage on a house in Chicago. You don't see value in living in New York but plenty of people do. Remember, COL is a very relative term. For instance COL in New York, although higher than in Chicago, also covers living in safer city, more car-free than Chicago and one with better cultural amenities etc etc.
You don't there is a value to it? That's OK. Many people do. Nobody is forcing anybody to live in New York.
Quote:
Chicago to me is more like Brooklyn, which is a good thing.
Chicago like Brooklyn? How? I think you mean dominating blue collar culture? But this is thing of the past. Blue collar Brooklyn died when heavy industry moved out of New York area.

I don't understand you infatuation with blue collar culture, after all the internet and this computer is definetely a part of a white collar or "college education culture". How can you praise blue collar culture while using a computer??? ))

Last edited by rebel12; 07-16-2012 at 09:44 PM..

Old 07-16-2012, 09:34 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,523 times
Quote:
What fact did you state? It's an opinion even if it beaten to death on C-D's Chicago forum does not make it a "fact". Fact is statistical and verifiable data. Do you have any? I know you don't.

Quote:
Stats are for losers who thrive on minutiae and the false notion of correlation and causation.
Stats are loosers, crystal balls for winners. I know

Old 07-16-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
And how do you propose we achieve that?

Oh, spare me your propaganda, comrade. New York would never be what it is without Stuyvesants, Vanderbilds, Rockefellers, Carnegies and other big corporate American companies.
From Chrysler Building to Grand Central corporate America build this city. Every one of our founding fathers was a businesmen.
Yes, business (what you today call corporate America) made this city great and prosperous. Did you actually think it was the government built the city?

First of all they are changing too only a little slower. Second: I have no idea what it means when you say these cities function as global cities. What exactly is the global city function?
It is just a loose descriptive term coined by sociologists. Its not a specific function. Third, none of the cities you mentioned is as globally influential or global as New York. What is your point?

Why are youg telling me? Tell it to all the people that still spend on one bedroom in New York what would be enough for a mortgage on a house in Chicago. You don't see value in living in New York but plenty of people do. Remember, COL is a very relative term. For instance COL in New York, although higher than in Chicago, also covers living in safer city, more car-free than Chicago and one with better cultural amenities etc etc.
You don't there is a value to it? That's OK. Many people do. Nobody is forcing anybody to live in New York.

Chicago like Brooklyn? How? I think you mean dominating blue collar culture? But this is thing of the past. Blue collar Brooklyn died when heavy industry moved out of New York area.

I don't understand you infatuation with blue collar culture, after all the internet and this computer is definetely a part of a white collar or "college education culture". How can you praise blue collar culture while using a computer??? ))
By... promoting local business instead? Thats actually what really drives the economy.

Yes, and anti-trust laws were imposed because of their monopolies on the economy. Today we are in a state of plutocracy, because now the govt is in bed with big business. Manhattan is becoming extremely sterile and you can thank your pals on Wall St.

Theyre all global cities. What do you not understand? It doesnt matter if theyre *as* influential as NYC. See, thats the thing with you. "XXXX isnt as XXXX as NYC, etc. etc." Thats not the ****ing point, and it doesnt ****ing matter. If it did matter, then lets just have NYC be the only city in the world. There are things those cities offer that NYC does not, and vice versa.

NYC COL/QOL. Again. It. Doesnt. Matter. If NYC has better amenities, what good is it if you cant afford it to begin with? as the majority of this country cannot?

There seems to be a mental block or something, with people that are on NYC's jock. You just cannot get through to these people at all.

Im not sure I understand your other point about blue collar work. Its not blue collar anymore? No, it is. In the outer boroughs. Extremely.

The last part about computers and white collar culture and what it has to do with blue collar industry, I have no ****ing clue. Somewhere, somehow, blue collar people arent allowed to use white collar innovations, or cant praise th..... I dont even know dude. I got nothin.

Also, you should probably get someone to type for you. You sound like you are 18.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:

Not sure about downtown but Chicago gained 11.5 thousand people in the last 1.5 years.

Census sees Chicago's population inching up - chicagotribune.com

Old 07-16-2012, 10:17 PM

That article is from nearly 3 weeks ago.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:23 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
Example: Los Angeles just supplanted New York as the publishing capital of America.

source?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City