Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 02:01 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
Oval Beach in Saugatuck, MI gets mentioned regularly in Travel mags and generally ranks in the 10 ten. Also the beaches on manitou go toe to toe with anything I've seen on any coast. Chicago may not have the beaches your looking for, but you should investigate Lake Michigan as a whole before saying stuff like that.
I couldn't find any mention of them in the top ten US beaches list here on Dr. Beach

Top Beaches 2012 - Annual List of "America's Top Beaches"

nor here on travel channel

http://www.travelchannel.com/interes...-10-us-beaches

nor here in National Geographic

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...-2012-summer/#

But they all list New York beaches...

Are you sure the publication mentioning Michigan beaches wasn't some local newspaper?

Old 07-17-2012, 02:15 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
I couldn't find any mention of them in the top ten US beaches list here on Dr. Beach

Top Beaches 2012 - Annual List of "America's Top Beaches"

nor here on travel channel

Top 10 US Beaches : Best Beach Vacations : Travel Channel

nor here in National Geographic

Pictures: Top Ten Beaches of 2012 Named

But they all list New York beaches...

Are you sure the publication mentioning Michigan beaches wasn't some local newspaper?
Local Newspaper? Psh. Dude I've lived all over. Don't treat me like I'm some provincial luddite...if those commercial websites are good enough for you, that's fine, but I'll do you one better and cite this very website

http://www.city-data.com/articles/Ov...-of-the.html#b

p

Old 07-17-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
Local Newspaper? Psh. Dude I've lived all over. Don't treat me like I'm some provincial luddite...if those commercial websites are good enough for you, that's fine, but I'll do you one better and cite this very website

http://www.city-data.com/articles/Ov...-of-the.html#b

p
Its even worse: city-data and no date, no name under the article.
Sorry, but I take National Geographic over some nameless city-data expert

Old 07-17-2012, 02:20 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,401 times
Quote:
I couldn't find any mention of them in the top ten US beaches list here on Dr. Beach...
I know a lot of people give crap to people with Liberal Arts degrees...

But where do I go to become a certified doctor of beaches?

Is the professor David Hasselhoff?

Will Pamela Anderson be teaching the lab work? Or is she on hiatus?

Do credits transfer?

Hmmm... I might have to switch from my current major of "Carney".

Old 07-17-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
I know a lot of people give crap to people with Liberal Arts degrees...

But where do I go to become a certified doctor of beaches?

Is the professor David Hasselhoff?

Will Pamela Anderson be teaching the lab work? Or is she on hiatus?

Do credits transfer?

Hmmm... I might have to switch from my current major of "Carney".
Huh?

"Stephen P. Leatherman is Professor in the Department of Earth & Environment and Co-Director of the Laboratory for Coastal Research at Florida International University. Dr. Leatherman has published articles in both Science and Nature—the two most distinguished scientific journals in the world. His approach is to tackle timely coastal issues and problems in order to derive new data, principally through field studies, determine the facts and find solutions. In this endeavor, he has written hundreds of refereed journal articles and technical reports with the ultimate goal of “making a difference” through practical applications of scientific research and public outreach. Dr. Leatherman has appeared numerous times in Who’s Who in Frontiers of Science and Technology, Who’s Who in America and Who’s Who in the World. In addition to his educational and research duties, Dr. Leatherman has appeared on hundreds of TV news and other shows to discuss his research on beach quality evaluations, coastal storm impacts, beach erosion, and sea level rise and coastal impacts (see bio from FIU—put hot link here from present Wikipedia listing for Leatherman). He is well known for his annual rankings of American beaches, thus earning him the nickname of “Dr. Beach.”

Old 07-17-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Huh?

"Stephen P. Leatherman is Professor in the Department of Earth & Environment and Co-Director of the Laboratory for Coastal Research at Florida International University. Dr. Leatherman has published articles in both Science and Nature—the two most distinguished scientific journals in the world. His approach is to tackle timely coastal issues and problems in order to derive new data, principally through field studies, determine the facts and find solutions. In this endeavor, he has written hundreds of refereed journal articles and technical reports with the ultimate goal of “making a difference” through practical applications of scientific research and public outreach. Dr. Leatherman has appeared numerous times in Who’s Who in Frontiers of Science and Technology, Who’s Who in America and Who’s Who in the World. In addition to his educational and research duties, Dr. Leatherman has appeared on hundreds of TV news and other shows to discuss his research on beach quality evaluations, coastal storm impacts, beach erosion, and sea level rise and coastal impacts (see bio from FIU—put hot link here from present Wikipedia listing for Leatherman). He is well known for his annual rankings of American beaches, thus earning him the nickname of “Dr. Beach.”

I can write more slowly... and I will.

Where... did he... get his... doctorate degree... in beaches... from?

I want to transfer my currently earned credits as "carney" to a doctorate in beaches... because I could then put out my own list and put, you know... popular beaches on there.

I understand he has a list of beaches based on history/ecology and that is fine and dandy. But there is no South Beach. There is no Panama City Beach. There is no South Padre Island Beach.

It really is great that he makes lists based on some scientific factors (whatever they may be) because that is valid in it's own right.

But... trying to use that list as a counterpoint to why New York CITY has better beaches than Chicago, the CITY, isn't swaying me at all. The only one on the 2012 list in the state of New York is East Hampton... which is not New York City.

It doesn't seem like that guy takes into account, or completely disregards, CITIES with beaches. At least he doesn't list a beach that is within a city limits.

You should e-mail him, and ask him to put together a list of "Best of" beaches that are strictly within city limits. I would be interested to know how many would be located within NYC and Chicago, if any. All the beaches he listed were outside of cities, except for the Hawaii ones.

I can wait.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:22 PM

Maybe a list like this would help?:

Top Ten Best City Beaches - AOL Travel News

Oak Street and Rockaway are both listed there.

Or here?:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0...?slidenumber=0

Old 07-17-2012, 03:23 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,320 times
Quote:
Maybe a list like this would help?:

Top Ten Best City Beaches - AOL Travel News

Oak Street and Rockaway are both listed there.
I think it's pointless. We're ice skating uphill with this guy.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:28 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Fair enough.

I am a stickler for definitions (and city boundaries, apparently I'm one of the few...) and dictionary.com says "bay" is:

1. a body of water forming an indentation of the shoreline, larger than a cove but smaller than a gulf.
2. South Atlantic States . an arm of a swamp.
3. a recess of land, partly surrounded by hills.
4. an arm of a prairie or swamp, extending into woods and partly surrounded by them.

No mention of "ocean" anywhere in those definitions. The bays of New York City, while still flowing freely and saltily into the Atlantic, are not part of the Atlantic Ocean. Only the tiniest bit of NYC touches the Atlantic Ocean. The rest are touching bays or rivers.

I would think the people of San Francisco would have a good understanding of this. Maybe people in New York don't know the difference?

For example; If someone was standing on the eastside of SF and looking to the east, I don't think they would call the water in front of them, "the ocean". Likewise for a person standing on the westside of Oakland, looking west. I would think both of those individuals would say they are looking at the "Bay", not the "ocean".

P.S. I'm glad you agreed.

And I know what you were saying with you original post. While a "bay" may be part of the larger whole, it generally isn't considered to be the "whole". Another example; my finger (bay) is part of my body (ocean). But I don't think anyone would consider my finger on it's own would be called my body. If that makes sense.
Sounds like a pretty hardheaded technicality that wouldn't necessarily land in your favor anyhow.

If I hump you in the butt, I have violated your body despite not having gone for the ears or navel, right?

Old 07-17-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sounds like a pretty hardheaded technicality that wouldn't necessarily land in your favor anyhow.

If I hump you in the butt, I have violated your body despite not having gone for the ears or navel, right?
Not to get naughty here... but you didn't violate my body. A particular area? Yes. My psyche? Yes. My whole body? No. Different parts of my body with different functions.

Did the BP oil spill contaminate the whole Atlantic Ocean? Or just the Gulf? Did people in the UK complain about fish and birds covered in oil in London? Did Brazil raise hell about having oil wash up on their beaches? No. There is a difference in a bay, and subsequently a gulf (which is much larger than a bay, and could be argued that it is much more "ocean" than a bay),
and an ocean or lake.

New York's waters connect to the ocean. So do Chicago's waters. The difference is water in Chicago has to go further to reach the ocean... and it's drinkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City