Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 03:50 PM

9 posts, read 9,710 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am currently studying at University in London, uk and I would like to go to Graduate School in US. I have chosen Universities that offer programs I am interested in, I prefer the ones in Cali and Florida. But I might also apply to SUNY and CUNY. I have visited Miami few times but I have never been to Cali.

I would like your opinions on city choices.

Miami, Tampa, Orlando,Naples, Jacksonville

VS

San Diego or NYC.

I know this is very general question and it depends n everyone's personal preference. I would just like to know which city do you think is cheapest to live in (big one for students) and best for grad experience (in your opinion).

If it helps I will give you more info about me: I am 24 yo female, going to grad school for Counselling Program, I am down to earth and active, I don't like shallow and superficial people, important things for me in a city i'd live: close to seaside, clean, culture-festivals, art etc, easy to do activities at, not too high living expenses, preferably close to international airport..

oh and I did read a big part of this forum and in some cities in seems like a problem if one don't speak spanish, I dont lol I am fluent in 5 languages but spanish is unfortunately not one of them.

Thank you so much for your help

X
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 05:30 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,529,574 times
I'd think the school you would be choosing would be a more important consideration than which city to live in.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:35 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,533,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzanah View Post
Hello,

I am currently studying at University in London, uk and I would like to go to Graduate School in US. I have chosen Universities that offer programs I am interested in, I prefer the ones in Cali and Florida. But I might also apply to SUNY and CUNY. I have visited Miami few times but I have never been to Cali.

I would like your opinions on city choices.

Miami, Tampa, Orlando,Naples, Jacksonville

VS

San Diego or NYC.

I know this is very general question and it depends n everyone's personal preference. I would just like to know which city do you think is cheapest to live in (big one for students) and best for grad experience (in your opinion).

If it helps I will give you more info about me: I am 24 yo female, going to grad school for Counselling Program, I am down to earth and active, I don't like shallow and superficial people, important things for me in a city i'd live: close to seaside, clean, culture-festivals, art etc, easy to do activities at, not too high living expenses, preferably close to international airport..

oh and I did read a big part of this forum and in some cities in seems like a problem if one don't speak spanish, I dont lol I am fluent in 5 languages but spanish is unfortunately not one of them.

Thank you so much for your help

X
From personal experience, SD is great for post graduate work and meets most of your criteria. If you are contemplating remaining in the region in which you are studying, you may want to consider the local employment prospects related your chosen program and the respective tuitions. All things being equal, I think you'd enjoy either CA, NY or FL.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:25 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,800,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
I'd think the school you would be choosing would be a more important consideration than which city to live in.
My thoughts exactly. Pick the school with the best counseling program. If your serious about school then you won't have time for the beach, festivals, and all that other stuff that I certainly didn't have time for when I was in grad school.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:13 PM

815 posts, read 1,851,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
My thoughts exactly. Pick the school with the best counseling program. If your serious about school then you won't have time for the beach, festivals, and all that other stuff that I certainly didn't have time for when I was in grad school.
Not sure if that is true... Giving "life" up for straight school could reflexively make your grades worse as you'd be stressed out all the time and thinking inside the box. Plenty of grad students I know go out quite frequently as a welcome relief to their studies. I worked 32 hours a week, went out plus did school... so, it can be done. I gave up things like watching any tv ever, random internet time and other wastes of time such as commuting...and this is at a so called "elite" university. After you do that you'll probably have plenty of time to actually have a life.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:03 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,533,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
Not sure if that is true... Giving "life" up for straight school could reflexively make your grades worse as you'd be stressed out all the time and thinking inside the box. Plenty of grad students I know go out quite frequently as a welcome relief to their studies. I worked 32 hours a week, went out plus did school... so, it can be done. I gave up things like watching any tv ever, random internet time and other wastes of time such as commuting...and this is at a so called "elite" university. After you do that you'll probably have plenty of time to actually have a life.
Yep. The only law students I knew who had no outside lives were the ones with families.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:35 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,899,626 times
If I were you, I would go with Miami. Miami is a much more international city than San Diego and has more of the glitz and glamour nightlife. Now if you were considering LA, I would say LA over Miami. You don't have to speak Spanish to get around Miami or San Diego, but in certain communities and occupations, it is helpful. San Diego is more laid back than Miami, but if you want fast paced, Miami. As for international airports, Miami is way ahead of San Diego. I also think Miami has a better arts/culture scene than San Diego, but San Diego has a much better beach going community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City