Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 01:12 PM

36,652 posts, read 67,428,746 times

Advertisements

At first glance, Jones Lang LaSalle(a commercial real estate firm) appears to be fishing for new clients, but the info is still interesting.

And I dont understand why they dont factor in the revenue of area biotech companies as well as patents---you know, actual accomplishmentsLOL.

Anyway:

Quote:

Jones Lang LaSalle ranking of Life Sciences Clusters
1 Boston
2 New York/ New Jersey
3 San Francisco Bay Area
4 Los Angeles
5 Washington DC
6 Philadelphia
7 San Diego
8 Minneapolis
9 Raleigh-Durham
10 Seattle
11 Chicago
12 Denver
13 Houston
14 Florida
15 Atlanta
16 Indianapolis

http://www.joneslanglasalle.com/Rese...rt_2011_gb.pdf

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 01:19 PM

801 posts, read 1,511,471 times
I don't understand why they use the whole state of Florida...

Old 11-28-2011, 01:20 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,043,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
At first glance, Jones Lang LaSalle(a commercial real estate firm) appears to be fishing for new clients, but the info is still interesting.
Florida? Why does he have an entire state listed, while everything else appears to be cities or metro areas?

Old 11-28-2011, 01:39 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,858,016 times
Quote:

And I dont understand why they dont factor in the revenue of area biotech companies as well as patents---you know, actual accomplishmentsLOL.

Anyway:
Interesting stuff

on your revenue. The Bay would actually factor relatively small on this metric. Even if one includes Genetech (Basically the Acura equivelent as a marketing and research US based portion wholly owned by Roche in Basel, the Genetech brand only exists in the US Avastin and Rituxan are known by the Roche name outside of America) but a fantastic company with two huge successes in Avastin and Rituxamab (though Vit R is going off patent and Teva is primed to launch the first in class bio-similars (almost a generic form as well a Rituximab and Etanercept (not GENE products))

NYC/NJ with Pfizer, Merck, J&J, BMS, Novartis (Well really another Basel Co), Sanofi and so many other large cos would drive this.

Also just another thought on reading is the references to Mercer and princeton for both Philly and NYC on this category. Mercer county alone is a huge life sciences player.

Not sure how best to weight all these criteria, revenues would actually help both NYC and Philly significantly on these metrics.

Some other good news for the Philly Area, GSK and TEVA (worlds largest producer of Pharmaceuticals) both are under construction for new HQs within Philly and CHOP just broke ground on 1 million sq ft of reaserch facilities in the UCity Sciences Center with Wistar building another 400K sq ft.

Interesting article though from JLL. Milkens report listed the top 5 Life Sciences (different criteria) cities as

1 - Boston
2 - Philadelphia
3 - Bay Area
4 - NYC
5 - RDU
6 - I think they had NJ as # 6 as they seperated it from either NYC or Philly in their research

TMAC has posted the Milken report a few times. JLL is good for commercial real estate, not sure how savvy they are are understanding the full gambit of Life Sciences but I really did enjoy this read. This is my industry and reading from a commercial real estate perspective is interesting

Last edited by kidphilly; 11-28-2011 at 02:20 PM..

Old 11-28-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Interesting article though from JLL. Milkens report listed the top 5 Life Sciences (different criteria) cities as

1 - Boston
2 - Philadelphia
3 - Bay Area
4 - NYC
5 - RDU
6 - I think they had NJ as # 6 as they seperated it from either NYC or Philly in their research

TMAC has posted the Milken report a few times. JLL is good for commercial real estate, not sure how savvy they are are understanding the full gambit of Life Sciences but I really did enjoy this read. This is my industry and reading from a commercial real estate perspective is interesting
Actually was wrong, may have been a seperate report

but according to Milken on metro Life Sciences Rankings composite score for Life Sciences

1 Boston 100.0
2 Philadelphia 97.7
3 SF (Bay Area) 92.1
4 NYC 92.0
5 RDU 88.2

http://business.ca.gov/LinkClick.asp...k%3D&tabid=247

Old 11-28-2011, 03:31 PM

36,652 posts, read 67,428,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Interesting stuff

on your revenue. The Bay would actually factor relatively small on this metric. Even if one includes Genetech (Basically the Acura equivelent as a marketing and research US based portion wholly owned by Roche in Basel, the Genetech brand only exists in the US Avastin and Rituxan are known by the Roche name outside of America) but a fantastic company with two huge successes in Avastin and Rituxamab (though Vit R is going off patent and Teva is primed to launch the first in class bio-similars (almost a generic form as well a Rituximab and Etanercept (not GENE products))

NYC/NJ with Pfizer, Merck, J&J, BMS, Novartis (Well really another Basel Co), Sanofi and so many other large cos would drive this.

Also just another thought on reading is the references to Mercer and princeton for both Philly and NYC on this category. Mercer county alone is a huge life sciences player.

Not sure how best to weight all these criteria, revenues would actually help both NYC and Philly significantly on these metrics.

Some other good news for the Philly Area, GSK and TEVA (worlds largest producer of Pharmaceuticals) both are under construction for new HQs within Philly and CHOP just broke ground on 1 million sq ft of reaserch facilities in the UCity Sciences Center with Wistar building another 400K sq ft.
You falsely assume that I brought up revenue because I felt the Bay Area was slighted? haha..I just believe in accuracy when it comes to these kinds of rankings.

However, after doing a little look, I dont agree with you that Philadelphia benefits from including revenue at all.

Fortune 500 Pharmaceutical Companies, 2011
1 Pfizer, New York
2 Johnson & Johnson, New York
3 Merck, New York
4 Abbott Laboratories, Chicago
5 Eli Lilly, Indianapolis
6 Bristol-Myers Squibb, New York
7 Amgen, Los Angeles
8 Gilead Sciences, San Francisco
9 Mylan, Pittsburgh
10 Allergan, Los Angeles
11 Biogen Idec, Boston
12 Genzyme, Boston

Furthermore, GSK is British, TEVA is Israeli.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:32 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,442,537 times
Well whether it be Milken or Jones Lang Lasalle, it appears Boston is #1

Old 11-28-2011, 04:15 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,442,537 times
Quote:
You falsely assume that I brought up revenue because I felt the Bay Area was slighted? haha..I just believe in accuracy when it comes to these kinds of rankings.

However, after doing a little look, I dont agree with you that Philadelphia benefits from including revenue at all.

1 Pfizer, New York
3 Merck, New York
7 Amgen, Los Angeles
9 Mylan, Pittsburgh
10 Allergan, Los Angeles
11 Biogen Idec, Boston
12 Genzyme, Boston

I think one problem with including revenue is it doesn't necessarily tell the whole story. The reason I bring this up is because even though the companies officially aren't headquartered there, Boston has a very large foreign presence in the area. Companies like Abbott Laboratories (Chicago), Novartis (Switzerland), MerckSerono (Switzerland), GlaxoSmithKline (London), Takeda (Osaka, Japan), and Covidien (Ireland) have a considerable amount of operations in the area, ranging from US HQ's & major subsidiaries, to large research labs. There are many other companies out there too, but these are some of the more prominent names.

So while the revenues will officially go in the books in these other places, some of the most important work is happening in Eastern Massachusetts.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 11-28-2011 at 04:31 PM..

Old 11-28-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:

1 Pfizer, New York
3 Merck, New York
7 Amgen, Los Angeles
9 Mylan, Pittsburgh
10 Allergan, Los Angeles
11 Biogen Idec, Boston
12 Genzyme, Boston

Yeah this is where foreign cos not on the US list that impact an area tremendously dont factor in

GSK (Philly/RDU) is British, Roche (Genentech SF) Novo Nordisk (NJ) and Novartis (NJ) are Swiss, Sanofi (NJ and now owns Genzyme), or AstraZeneca is Bristish (Philly/Wilmington DE) - All these are top 10 Pharma cos and I could go on

Your list also is revenue and not income based. Also as i think you posted before the amount of spend by Pharma Cos on R&D is huge, would actually be another interesting factor.

On Merck for example more than 80% of their US operations is in North Wales PA (Montgomery County) with nearly 18K employees in this location, the NJ office has about 400 but the CEO lives in Jersey so keeps the HQ there but this could be said everywhere. BMS is another one with the vast majority of their offices in either the Lawrenceville or Plainsboro facilities in Mercer County NJ (Actually right next door to Novo Nordisk and Allos, and Covance a large payment and patient services facilitation company) with a small office in Manhattan for BMS. The same dynamic for many places as the S SF location/campus for Gene is huge and a huge boon to the Bay yet revenues get counted funny by metro

On Philly AmerisourceBergen a life sciences company did 71 Billion in revenue last year alone while Pfizer the top revenue Pharma co did about 65 Billion as one perspective but agree NYC would def benefit from revenues, as would Philly on many accounts

There are many ways to skin a cat and none are perfect but regardless it seems the same metros are among the top for life sciences

Am actually surprisd on Gilead, a nice ARV portfolio but not sure they are that high, though there has been so much consolidation (Pfizer/Wyeth, Merck/Schering etc in the last few years) and are Def much smaller than many of the Foreign big boys in the industry (Also many Japanese cos like Takeda in Chicago (Speaking of Astellas and Baxter with their hybrid vaccine/pharma and blood factor offerings are very cutting edge in hemophilia etc.)

Also your list does not include any device, diagnostic (some of the most cutting edge cos in life sciences etc with bio marker and genome testing), distribution, manufacturing, delivery companies, insurance, outcomes facilities. Pharmaceuticals in total represent only about 21% if US healthcare costs with Biologics representing only 34% of the 21% today but still very large numbers. Also the bay would benefit from the inclusion of McKesson or RDU from Quintiles etc. Life Sciences has a ton of aspects and companys

Last edited by kidphilly; 11-28-2011 at 04:44 PM..

Old 11-28-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I think one problem with including revenue is it doesn't necessarily tell the whole story. The reason I bring this up is because even though the companies officially aren't headquartered there, Boston has a very large foreign presence in the area. Companies like Abbott Laboratories (Chicago), Novartis (Switzerland), MerckSerono (Switzerland), GlaxoSmithKline (London), Takeda (Osaka, Japan), and Covidien (Ireland) have a considerable amount of operations in the area, ranging from US HQ's & major subsidiaries, to large research labs. There are many other companies out there too, but these are some of the more prominent names.

So while the revenues will officially go in the books in these other places, some of the most important work is happening in Eastern Massachusetts.
Agreed even the US HQ can be misleading as two NJ US HQ'd (Though are Swiss and French) Pharma cos Novartis (Biologics Research Group) and Sanofi (Oncology) have invested heavially in Cambridge. Cambridge is an amazing research think tank in this regard. Kendal Sq alone is amazing in the R&D being conducted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City