Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 10:17 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Midland, TX. This city's population is 107,000.

Link
Midland TX is on the same page as Tulsa OK , black gold , texas tea ,
have oil and Skyscrapers are soom to follow.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:23 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,759,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Yeah I see your point , but you don't see mine , a couple of shacks
isolated out in the middle of nowhere is not a part of a city to me ,
now it's your prerogative to call it a part of a city if you want to.
It is still apart of the city! There are a lot of cities in America that are consolidated. Jacksonville,Fl, San Francisco,Ca, Indianapolis,In, Denver,Co, and Honolulu,Hi

Old 03-16-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG2011 View Post
Vancouver, Calgary, Atlanta, and Miami
Right Right Right I would say Atlanta , Miami , Dallas , Houston ,
but don't they all have Metro's of 6 Million People give or take a
few , and they are suppose to have great Skylines.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:07 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
^Bellevue looks nice. I like seeing suburbs(cities smaller than the dominant city in the metro) with nice skylines.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
Bellevue, WA definitely wins here. Its population is only 130,000. It is in a metro of 3,500,000, but it's still impressive. ( I didn't take any of the pictures)

Bellevue has a BIG skyline!

Old 03-16-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
It is still apart of the city! There are a lot of cities in America that are consolidated. Jacksonville,Fl, San Francisco,Ca, Indianapolis,In, Denver,Co, and Honolulu,Hi
You win the prize and are absolutely right , but I only respect (2)
two of your consolidated cities San Francisco CA and Denver CO...
Now the City-County Of SAN FRANCISCO is only 43 Square Miles..
with a population of 800,000 people and I will say that you won't
find a shack standing out in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE...I been to
Denver before , but don't know very much about it.

P.S. you forgot all about Louisville Kentucky being a consolidated city-county.

Last edited by Howest2008; 03-16-2010 at 02:17 PM..

Old 03-16-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
You win the prize and are absolutely right , but I only respect (2)
two of your consolidated cities San Francisco CA and Denver CO...
Now the City-County Of SAN FRANCISCO is only 43 Square Miles..
with a population of 800,000 people and I will say that you won't
find a shack standing out in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE...I been to
Denver before , but don't know very much about it.
You are right!

Old 03-16-2010, 03:33 PM

293 posts, read 900,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Bellevue has a BIG skyline!
It just went through a development boom, but it's slowing down now.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
It just went through a development boom, but it's slowing down now.
I have never seen a skyline so BIG, for a city that is so small!

Old 03-16-2010, 04:56 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I think most American cities, even mid-sized cites have decent skylines when compared to many international cities of the same size. Even some of our suburbs like Tyson Corners & Clayton, Missouri have skylines.

Chicago stands out to me because she has less than half the population of NYC but her skyline is more or less similar to Manhattan. Some other cities like Toronto, Seattle, Vancouver, Miami and Philadelphia also stand out.

I like Chicago and all but lets be real. Chicago's skyline is not similar to NYC's. Chicago's skyline looks really large because it has some tall buildings compared to it's number of highrises. Most skylines consist of highrises. That being said, NYC has about five times as many highrises as Chicago so how is that comparible. I have been to both many times and nothing against Chicago but if it were similar to NY it would have about three times the highrises for its population. Toronto, which metro wise is half the size of Chicago, has almost twice as many highrises. Chicago looks bigger because it has more taller skyscrapers per highrises. But if you have ever been to both, Toronto feels more similar to NY than chicago does.

It seems like so many are ignoring the obvious. NYC skyline is so dense and massive that it trumps all others in North America. Only Tokyo and Sao Paolo are comparible in the world. NY has close to 6000 highrises. Chicago has a little over 1000.

That being said, besides NY having a massive skyline for its population, other cities I wold choose. I am also considering metro population. Someone mentioned that Nashville was like five or six times the population of Richmond Va, but not when you consider metro. When you consider metro Nashville is quite comparible to Richmod Va. Having said all that:

My picks:

NYC (obvious) can't believe only one person mentioned it.

If Chicago were more similar to NY and as great as everyone is saying it is they would have like three times as many highrises. NY metro is a little over 20 million. chicago is like 10 million. Yet NY has about five times as many highrises not two.

Honolulu, NYC, Calgary, Toronto, Sao Paolo, Tokyo, Miami, are my choices.

In the US only NY really stands out besides Honolulu and Miami. Other cities like Atlanta, Philly, Seattle, and Pittsburgh (which I lived in before) really don't have that big of downtowns when you consider their metro. Metro Atlanta is over four million. Philly is like five yet there downtown compared to their population is not that big. Seattle is sort of overrated to me and so is Pittsburgh. That is not to say that they are not nice looking downtowns, they are just not that big...

Last edited by supermanpansy; 03-16-2010 at 05:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City