Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 09:38 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Yea what ever you say. You joined here in December. You have not even been here a month. Find me one post where some from Chicago says, Chicago is the center of the Universe, or "we are better because our median income is higher" (bay area).
Aside from being wealthier, we're also better because we're more highly educated, more cosmopolitan and sophisticated, astoundingly more diverse, with an incredibly dynamic economy and we're blessed with a natural setting and weather that is beyond exquisite.

The list goes on and on...

Seriously, Can you blame us?

*loljk*

Old 12-16-2009, 10:18 AM

10 posts, read 6,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Find me one post where some from Chicago says, Chicago is the center of the Universe

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a post from any city that claims to be the center of the Universe. Chicago does its fair share of bashing and posturing. You ain't innocent.
Chicago is the Windy City. Nicknamed that because of some of its political history. But it continues to stick, because Chicagoans generally have big mouths. If you are going to have a reputation as having a big mouth you need to be able to accept that others might have an even bigger mouth.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:28 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,511,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
One recent example was when Atlanteans were getting mad at skyline comparisons.

One thread was DT ATLANTA vs CBD CHARLOTTE, and they were getting mad about how it wasn't fair that only DT was included for ATL, and how ATL crushes CLT, etc. And i think their were also debating how BoA was in Midtown, but some said it was in Downtown, and one poster at that point got very arrogant and condescending.

Another was SEATTLE and ATL, comparing DT SEATTLE vs DT ATLANTA, and BELLEVUE vs BUCKHEAD, it was a simple skyline comparison, that got turned into an argument over how unfair it was that SEA used a suburb, while ATL didnt. Consequently, i think it got locked.

And these are just skyline comparisons.

I think the real problem is that Atlanteans think/know they are an important city in the US(and they are), and even as far as saying they're an international city. And since their so important, we should be experts on ATL. So when someone makes a false statement, they get all nasty. This gets confused with being very defensive, and can come across as being superior, but in reality THE SITUATION does not mean that. Because any resident of any city, might get a little defensive, but its the fact that Atlanteans think that we should be experts on their city, that makes me think they have an inferiority(either/or)superiority complex . Atlanteans' are the only (tier 2,3 city, depending on your def.) that comes across as being both defensive AND nasty.

*Not saying all Atlanteans are like this,btw(just 99% of them) jk
Yeah, not saying all Atlanteans are like this either..

But I've had the misfortune of p***ing off some Atlanteans on here as well. I made a comment on a thread regarding potential locations for future Olympics that if a mid-sized city in the US like Atlanta with a sizable crime problem (at the time leading up to the Olympics) could hold the Olympics there are plenty of worthy world-class cities(like Rio De Janeiro in 2016) in the rest of the globe that could potentially be Olympic host cities. Immediately the responses came out..Rio De Janeiro is a third-world cesspool, Atlanta is a world-class city that was more qualified for the Olympics than most of the world, Atlanta never had a crime problem, and so on… Followed by one Atlanta poster who attacked me personally for being from Portland...

Atlanta's a great city..But many of the posters on here representing their city get a tad over-defensive. I don't get the same sense from Houston or Dallas or Chicago posters. People from New York and San Francisco have superiority complexes, but that's to be expected.

This just on CityData though, I've never had any bad expiriences with any from Atlanta or in Atlanta in real life ever.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:57 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,096,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yeah, not saying all Atlanteans are like this either..

But I've had the misfortune of p***ing off some Atlanteans on here as well. I made a comment on a thread regarding potential locations for future Olympics that if a mid-sized city in the US like Atlanta with a sizable crime problem (at the time leading up to the Olympics) could hold the Olympics there are plenty of worthy world-class cities(like Rio De Janeiro in 2016) in the rest of the globe that could potentially be Olympic host cities. Immediately the responses came out..Rio De Janeiro is a third-world cesspool, Atlanta is a world-class city that was more qualified for the Olympics than most of the world, Atlanta never had a crime problem, and so on… Followed by one Atlanta poster who attacked me personally for being from Portland...

Atlanta's a great city..But many of the posters on here representing their city get a tad over-defensive. I don't get the same sense from Houston or Dallas or Chicago posters. People from New York and San Francisco have superiority complexes, but that's to be expected.

This just on CityData though, I've never had any bad expiriences with any from Atlanta or in Atlanta in real life ever.
umm you basically said Atlanta wasn't a city worthy of hosting the olymipics, it's not a world city and there cities that can. You put Atlantans on the defense about are we good enough that's not a superior complex in fact any poster from a city that you call a world city who agrees with you now they have superior complex! If Atlantans were on the offense and said were the the best city in the world to hold the olymipics then that would be a superior complex. Yall just want Atlantans to have a superior complex so bad even after yall just voted Atlanta 3rd for inferior complex

Old 12-16-2009, 02:01 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,479,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
umm you basically said Atlanta wasn't a city worthy of hosting the olymipics, it's not a world city and there cities that can. You put Atlantans on the defense about are we good enough that's not a superior complex in fact any poster from a city that you call a world city who agrees with you now they have superior complex! If Atlantans were on the offense and said were the the best city in the world to hold the olymipics then that would be a superior complex. Yall just want Atlantans to have a superior complex so bad even after yall just voted Atlanta 3rd for inferior complex
Please, everything puts a certain # of Atlantans on defense. Give it a rest.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:56 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
In much the same way that everything good about Atlanta puts some people on the offense. Just go ahead and admit you have a REAL problem with Atlanta - probably due to the fact that thousands of evacuees from your city ended up staying in Atlanta permanently...they simply liked it better.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
In much the same way that everything good about Atlanta puts some people on the offense. Just go ahead and admit you have a REAL problem with Atlanta - probably due to the fact that thousands of evacuees from your city ended up staying in Atlanta permanently...they simply liked it better.
If I had a problem with Atlanta I wouldn't vote for it or take up for it on other threads. Every post that I have made in this thread has been to back up my OP that only you and few other ATL posters object to, hmm. That's becoming a trend. You also love dragging my city into these little ATL squabbles, I must be on to someting. Go kick rocks..

Old 12-16-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
so............. what does that got to do with a superior complex? which is a city that always on the offense? You just proved how Atlanta doesn't have superior complex, good looking out tho

Old 12-16-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
so............. what does that got to do with a superior complex? which is a city that always on the offense? You just proved how Atlanta doesn't have superior complex, good looking out tho

Quote:
Based on people I've met:

New York - To an extent I can see how if NYC is what you're used to, no other city in the U.S. will compare n terms of density, size, and business. But, it annoys the hell out of me how many New Yorkers and even more New York transplants swear up and down that it's the greatest city on Earth and look down on other places.

Austin - From my understanding Austin has a lot of things going for it right now, but when it get's to the point where they start to compare it to Portland, New Orleans, etc. and even looking down on cities like Dallas and Houston it becomes a little too much. The look on those I met faces were priceless when they realized the buzz about Austin wasn't anywhere near as big outside of TX as it is there. Also from speaking with friends and family in Houston and Dallas, it doesn't get too much of buzz there either.

Atlanta? - With this one I'm not sure if it's an inferiority complex or a superiority one, but when I talk about Atlanta with people from Atlanta the conversation always takes a "Well, Atlanta has ______ or "Atlanta is ______." Sometimes it comes across as trying to prove that Atlanta dominates the south and everywhere else is just a hick town, while more often it sounds as if there trying to prove that Atlanta can hold it's own. I always get a "See, what I've got!!!" or "Look what I can do." vibe from ATL, as if they're trying to not only convince, but convice themselves as well.

^ all of the above is my personal opinion so please spare the "NYC is the best PERIOD" and "Atlanta vs. _________" threads.

^There you go.. This is where I stood, it's where I stand, and it is where I will be standing.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
^There you go.. This is where I stood, it's where I stand, and it is where I will be standing.

Quote:
Atlanta? - With this one I'm not sure if it's an inferiority complex or a superiority one, but when I talk about Atlanta with people from Atlanta the conversation always takes a "Well, Atlanta has ______ or "Atlanta is ______." Sometimes it comes across as trying to prove that Atlanta dominates the south and everywhere else is just a hick town, while more often it sounds as if there trying to prove that Atlanta can hold it's own. I always get a "See, what I've got!!!" or "Look what I can do." vibe from ATL, as if they're trying to not only convince, but convice themselves as well.
Your not even sure what you statement is. For the million time Atlanta was voted 3rd on the inferiority complex poll and what you just describe was closer a inferiority complex which we have already been bash on that thread the right thread, this is a superiority complex thread and the wrong thread, because Atlanta is still brought up! is why Atlantans think your trying to be funny.

Anyway superior complexes my opinion
Northeast and Northwest and Cali cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.