Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 10:57 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFriendlyGod View Post
Like I just said: why y'alls hating on northern europe?

Also, while I do see the Mediterranean influence in Los Angeles architecture, if you go to a Mediterranean city like Barcelona or Genova you see that architecture built very dense and tall and close in to narrow streets. The squat (but pretty) and spacious houses in L.A. feel more like Australia than Europe to me!
I'm not hating on Northern Europe, I just think people have this ONE image of Europe through the eyes of Northern France and the UK. Maybe I'm wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, my old neighborhood, Pacific Palisades from this vantage point looks a lot like somewhere in Europe.

Exactly. Europe is BIG, but people just keep thinking about it from and Urbanized city planning point. "LA=Freeways and sprawl, so it can't POSSIBLY look like Paris and London." That's how people are thinking. There not telling the OVERALL picture here. I think they BOTH look European but from a different standpoint. This question is hard to answer. It's like asking "Which European city looks more North American." North America is a BIG, BIG, BIG, continent. The USA is a BIG country with many different climates. THEN you got BIG, BIG, Canada to the North, and BIG, BIG Mexico to the South.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
San Francisco, San Diego, Sacramento, Fresno as well. Eureka's borderline - at the boundary between Med and Marine West Coast.
Yeah I totally forgot about NorCal. SF has the density and architecture of European cities, AND the climate of a Mediterranean one. LA has the architecture in places like Rodeo Drive also

Old 12-10-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
NYC has a lot in common with London. It is more British, while LA may have more of a Spanish influence.
Exactly!

Old 12-10-2009, 11:14 PM

I'm not hating on NY, I'm just trying to think outside the box for a bit. At 1st glance people would think about NYC without giving it a little thought.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:44 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I'm not hating on Northern Europe, I just think people have this ONE image of Europe through the eyes of Northern France and the UK. Maybe I'm wrong?
+1

Ur totally 100% right.

Hell if I were on LAs Convention and Visitors Bureau, I would push to call SoCal's coast "The American Riviera".

Channel Islands, California

Catalina Island, California
http://www.anaheimoc.org/client_upload/images/catalina---avalonscenic.JPG (broken link)

Malibu, California

Palos Verdes Estates, California

Redondo Beach, California

Laguna Beach, California
http://scottandrewthompson.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/Heisler_Park_Laguna_Bch.129104443_large.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by 18Montclair; 12-11-2009 at 12:53 AM..

Old 12-11-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
+1

Ur totally 100% right.

Hell if I were on LAs Convention and Visitors Bureau, I would push to call SoCal's coast "The American Riviera".

Channel Islands, California

Catalina Island, California

Malibu, California

Palos Verdes Estates, California

Redondo Beach, California

Laguna Beach, California
Man SoCal is beautiful. Those pics are similar to that of parts of Southern France, Greece, Southern Italy and the rest of the Mediterranean.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:10 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,320 times
Quote:
Actually its your fault for not seeing millions of years of mediterrenean-like nature in Los Angeles.

And it seems that in 2009, the influence NYC has over Europe is greater than vice versa.
Sorry a mediterrenean climate, which only covers southern Europe is not the same as having a European influence. La looks like typical auto centric suburbia USA once you leave the coast. Move on.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:56 AM

305 posts, read 771,379 times
I noticed a recurring theme in this thread.

European centric = good.

Not European centric = I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole.

Some things that are European centric are not always good and not everything that's not European centric is bad. Some of you need to lighten up.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:38 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Sorry a mediterrenean climate, which only covers southern Europe is not the same as having a European influence. La looks like typical auto centric suburbia USA once you leave the coast. Move on.
southern europe does resemble socal in a few instances. i spent time in Marbella, Spain and it reminded me a lot of Laguna Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City