Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:09 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times

Advertisements

I was just thinking about how these two towns compare.

Raleigh reminds me of Austin, but I can't put my finger on why.

They are similar in size.

Raleigh 400k city, 1.7 metro (including Durham)
Austin 760k city, 1.7 metro

Austin's skyline even resembled Raleigh before the building boom there in the past several years transformed the skyline. But I beleive Raleigh also could have skyling changing towers going up, correct me if I'm wrong there.

Both areas seem to be quickly rising up in the ranks.

Anyway, Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 10:16 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I was just thinking about how these two towns compare.

Raleigh reminds me of Austin, but I can't put my finger on why.

They are similar in size.

Raleigh 400k city, 1.7 metro (including Durham)
Austin 760k city, 1.7 metro

Austin's skyline even resembled Raleigh before the building boom there in the past several years transformed the skyline. But I beleive Raleigh also could have skyling changing towers going up, correct me if I'm wrong there.

Both areas seem to be quickly rising up in the ranks.

Anyway, Any thoughts?
They are very similar. Both are college towns. Both are state capitals. Both metros have a quirky arts scene. Both are liberal cities. Both are generally large areas, but aren't the largest in the state. Both have an abundance of outdoor activities.

The biggest stand out difference is the culture. Raleigh is more Mid-Atlantic/Southeastern culture. While Austin is a mixture Southern/Southwest.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:33 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,828 times
I think they are very different. Austin seems more lively. Raleigh doesn't feel like a city at all.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:02 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
I think they are very different. Austin seems more lively. Raleigh doesn't feel like a city at all.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Austin (in some ways) feels more "city-like" than Charlotte (let alone Raleigh). University of Texas near downtown has helped Austin BIG TIME! I think UT's enrollment is close to 50,000. That's a nice boost to ANY downtown population if you ask me.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:20 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
I think Austin in its feel could be similiar to Raleigh-Durham. The difference is that Raleigh-Durham is multi-modle where as Austin is the kingpin. As far as UT being downtown, NCSU is also downtown Raleigh, but NCSU is way smaller. The educational prestige I give Raleigh-Durham the nudge. Austin=one college 50k students, RDU= 3 colleges, and close to 60k students. Let's not even look at endowment. But perhaps this comparison is not bad. I do believe Austin could be more city like than Charlotte as well so it is more urban, IMO that RDU. But RDUs economic engine exists in its research at RTP and not necessarily in downtown. Austin has more CBD presence. I guess that's all I have for now. But I agree that Austin and Raleigh are similiar. Austin is bigger and more urban, Raleigh has several nodes so that should also be kept in mind.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:37 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Austin (in some ways) feels more "city-like" than Charlotte (let alone Raleigh). University of Texas near downtown has helped Austin BIG TIME! I think UT's enrollment is close to 50,000. That's a nice boost to ANY downtown population if you ask me.
Really? I never thought of Austin as being more "urban" than Charlotte. I agree about UT. I don't think place like The Drag (Guadalupe) would be what they are today without UT. Also, the campus is very urban for the most part and really, UT Campus is one of the most densely populated "neighborhoods" in Texas.

Oh and if you consider all of colleges in Austin, I believe it's somewhere around 80,000.

Last edited by wpmeads; 12-09-2009 at 09:47 PM..

Old 12-09-2009, 09:41 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
In addition to the similarities already mentioned, both economies are heavily dependent on technology industries. As for NCSU, it's the largest university that North Carolina has to offer. At over 30,000 students, it's even larger than UNC in Chapel Hill.
I had a temporary assignment in Texas 13 years ago and consider Raleigh my hometown. Even back when when I "lived" in Houston for 6 months, Austin was the only city in the state of Texas that I visited that "felt" familiar to me. For me, the two areas are built on very similar foundations. Culturally they are influenced by their respective states, regions and surroundings but many of the similarities are pretty striking. They each even have a signifcantly sized burb adjacent to it (Round Rock and Cary).
As for the "urbanity", just watch what happens in Raleigh in the coming few years. To imagine what will happen, carefully consider what has happened in the last few... it's an indicator.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:47 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
In addition to the similarities already mentioned, both economies are heavily dependent on technology industries. As for NCSU, it's the largest university that North Carolina has to offer. At over 30,000 students, it's even larger than UNC in Chapel Hill.
I had a temporary assignment in Texas 13 years ago and consider Raleigh my hometown. Even back when when I "lived" in Houston for 6 months, Austin was the only city in the state of Texas that I visited that "felt" familiar to me. For me, the two areas are built on very similar foundations. Culturally they are influenced by their respective states, regions and surroundings but many of the similarities are pretty striking. They each even have a signifcantly sized burb adjacent to it (Round Rock and Cary).
As for the "urbanity", just watch what happens in Raleigh in the coming few years. To imagine what will happen, carefully consider what has happened in the last few... it's an indicator.
Thanks for the views, especially since oyou know both areas.

I think it is safe to say that Raleigh is definitely adding tons of residents, but IMO that still doesn't say anything about the urbanity changing. This growth could be in the suburban parts of Raleigh and in surrounding communities. Can you, as Raleigh citizen comment on this urban development. Not trying to be a smart but, but I am just wondering. I am not necessarily impressed by percentage growth because I don't think this tells the whole story. Other factors such as numerical growth and, for lack of a better term, development growth (i.e. infrastructure) is important. this is not knock on Raleigh, just trying to see evidence and data.

BTW, both of these areas are the fastest growing areas in the nation. Interesting indeed. Good comparison.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:09 PM

oh crap...I just wrote a really long response and accidentally deleted it while looking for a link to add to the post. It's too late now to recreate and I need to get to bed. I'll try tomorrow. In the meantime, here's at least the link I was going to paste in my response.
City of Raleigh | The Rebirth Of Downtown Raleigh (http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_210_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/news/public/News-PubAff-The_Rebirth_Of_Downtown_-20080903-17104534.html - broken link)

Old 12-09-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post

Oh and if you consider all of colleges in Austin, I believe it's somewhere around 80,000.
I have heard that, in total, the number of college students in the Triangle area tops 100,000. This includes several smaller colleges in addition to the three major universities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City