U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-15-2009, 01:46 PM

736 posts, read 1,050,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uakron05 View Post
Hi all-

I am new to the board and am considering relocating to Nashville but I want to make sure I do some research. I am also considering Phoenix and Charleston.

I am hoping to get some insight from people who live or have lived in the city, I think it will be more valuable than any stats.

I am from Ohio but I currently live in the WPB area of FL. I moved to FL almost 3 years ago for the weather but after giving FL a chance I don't think it is for me. The worst thing about FL is the people, there are so many mean, rude people here. I think if Ohio was warmer it would be the perfect place to live.

I am 30 and single with no kids so I am looking for a city where I can meet a nice guy with similar interests.

I love to hang out at sports bars rather then clubs, I like dive bars and laid back people. I would love to move to an apartment where I can be within walking distance to some great local bars and live music is important.

One of the things I miss about OH are the parks, I like walking/hiking and FL is flat and not many parks with trails.

I am not to concerned about high-end shopping but I would like a place with a farmers market and a decent mall.

I have been to Nashville 2x before on vacation and had a blast but things are always different in vacation mode.

Thank you for your help

Nashville is ok for visiting for short periods at a time. Alot different living here. We moved here 2 years ago and tried to give it a chance. But we are leaving here for the same reasons you are wanting to leave WPB.
I was born and raised in Fla. Lived in Louisiana then moving to Ca then to TN. TN is like it's in a world of its own.
Phoenix is really nice. Charleston has a lot of charm. Either of these two places I feel would be a great place you'd really enjoy. Hope this helps.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 10:43 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,577,469 times
Neither.

I cant speak for Nashville but I hate Phoenix. I live there. It is overgrown, overpopulated and overbuilt. The only jobs available even in a good economy are low-paying service jobs that dont offer much of a paycheck or a future. Phoenix ranks as the TOP American city for foreclosures, job loss, car theft and air pollution; and AZ is the worst state for education (deplorable schools). And dont even get me started on the oppressive heat that keeps you a prisoner in your own home between late May and the end of OCT. It has the WORST job market of any large city in the US, even worse than Detroit, even the local media is saying that. The only purpose Phoenix serves is being a retirement center in the middle of the desert.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:48 AM

3,285 posts, read 3,982,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Neither.

I cant speak for Nashville but I hate Phoenix. I live there. It is overgrown, overpopulated and overbuilt. The only jobs available even in a good economy are low-paying service jobs that dont offer much of a paycheck or a future. Phoenix ranks as the TOP American city for foreclosures, job loss, car theft and air pollution; and AZ is the worst state for education (deplorable schools). And dont even get me started on the oppressive heat that keeps you a prisoner in your own home between late May and the end of OCT. It has the WORST job market of any large city in the US, even worse than Detroit, even the local media is saying that. The only purpose Phoenix serves is being a retirement center in the middle of the desert.
Yes, we know you hate Phoenix. So when are you going to move out of here?????????????????

For the 2000th time, can we please get a spam button?

Oh, stats please? I want you to PROVE these statements.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:22 AM

2,011 posts, read 2,029,240 times
Lived in PHX all my life. I personally love it. It's not flat at all. It's in a valley surrounded by mountains much bigger than the Appalachians. During the winter and spring the desert is pretty green with awesome wildflowers by march. Six month of the year is some of the best weather in the country, however if you're not used to heat than you'll have a difficult time. I've seen many transplants move here and leave right away because of it. But it's a lifestyle thing. Just like people up north take overcoats and umbrellas for granted, here you always wear shorts and a T-shirt and swim all the time.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:05 PM

736 posts, read 1,050,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Lived in PHX all my life. I personally love it. It's not flat at all. It's in a valley surrounded by mountains much bigger than the Appalachians. During the winter and spring the desert is pretty green with awesome wildflowers by march. Six month of the year is some of the best weather in the country, however if you're not used to heat than you'll have a difficult time. I've seen many transplants move here and leave right away because of it. But it's a lifestyle thing. Just like people up north take overcoats and umbrellas for granted, here you always wear shorts and a T-shirt and swim all the time.
I agree cacto. I love Phoenix. The heat is bad but its a dry heat. It's not like the heat with humidity. I've lived in the humidity states and the dry heat in California, Vegas etc. I'll take the dry heat any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City