U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which has the better nightlife?
LA 101 60.12%
Chicago 67 39.88%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2009, 01:19 AM
 
594 posts, read 985,998 times
Reputation: 286

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mayor of Mil-Town View Post
"Get yer fancy dancin' shoes on Helen. We're packin up the kids tonight and headin into Chicago to do some clubbin'!"
That is a hilarious image!

 
Old 12-13-2009, 01:32 AM
 
Location: Chicago
10,096 posts, read 4,762,062 times
Reputation: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Chicago nightlife is kind of a dud for young out of control people, but it is fantastic for adults and families.
Wrigleyville? Doesn't get any more young and out of control probably anyplace else in the country.

I prefer the Wicker Park and Underground House scene though.
 
Old 12-13-2009, 01:51 AM
 
Location: Franklin WI and also Milwaukee
83 posts, read 18,262 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Wrigleyville? Doesn't get any more young and out of control probably anyplace else in the country.

"Hey grandma? Better roll up yer window now..we got ourselves a group of them OUT OF CONTROL yuppies comin' up the street!"
 
Old 12-13-2009, 02:06 AM
 
Location: Winnetka, IL & Rolling Hills, CA
1,273 posts, read 2,772,103 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Wrigleyville? Doesn't get any more young and out of control probably anyplace else in the country.

I prefer the Wicker Park and Underground House scene though.
Most Wrigleyville folks from what I have experienced are in their 30's and 40's. In LA and elsewhere you find many more graduate school students and late 20's people having fun. Chicago seems to attract an older single adult crowd than most cities.

Chicago was rated #1 city for men by AskMen.com
 
Old 12-13-2009, 02:16 AM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,395 posts, read 14,714,805 times
Reputation: 5328
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Most Wrigleyville folks from what I have experienced are in their 30's and 40's. In LA and elsewhere you find many more graduate school students and late 20's people having fun. Chicago seems to attract an older single adult crowd than most cities.

Chicago was rated #1 city for men by AskMen.com
30s and 40s in wrigleyville uhhhh ...negative. its right down the street from depaul..
have to disagree with u on all points sorry.
 
Old 12-13-2009, 02:27 AM
 
Location: Franklin WI and also Milwaukee
83 posts, read 18,262 times
Reputation: 25
Wrigleyville? Is that really considered nightlife now? Chicago can offer much better than that I'm sure
 
Old 12-13-2009, 02:37 AM
 
Location: Winnetka, IL & Rolling Hills, CA
1,273 posts, read 2,772,103 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
30s and 40s in wrigleyville uhhhh ...negative. its right down the street from depaul..
have to disagree with u on all points sorry.
From my experience DePaul undergraduate students tend to congregate around the Lincoln Park area. Wrigleyville is actually north of Lakeview, which is not even close to walking distance from DePaul.

There are actually a lot of families living in Wrigleyville.
 
Old 12-13-2009, 02:45 AM
 
Location: West Hollywood
1,944 posts, read 2,606,195 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Chicago nightlife is kind of a dud for young out of control people, but it is fantastic for adults and families.
I definitely disagree. Chicagoans are out of control, and the nightlife definitely fits the out of control crowd.

Bring a family to much of the city at night and you're in for trouble.

Why do you think so many people complain about Chicago being full of drunken yuppies, frat types, and hipsters?

It is the exact opposite of what you are saying in my opinion.
 
Old 12-13-2009, 02:50 AM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,395 posts, read 14,714,805 times
Reputation: 5328
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
From my experience DePaul undergraduate students tend to congregate around the Lincoln Park area. Wrigleyville is actually north of Lakeview, which is not even close to walking distance from DePaul.

There are actually a lot of families living in Wrigleyville.
erm...they live in wrigleyville too trust me, its more in their price range. plenty of families in lincolnpark as well... not sure what you are arguing about wrigleyville is usually a young crowd , 20s, no doubt is going to be the bulk.
walking distance? i'm not sure what your definition of walking distance is but its 1.7 miles from depaul campus to clark/addison... not very far.

i agree with nafster on this, you are off on what you are saying, esp that its an older city... i'm just not buying it. yeah they have it too but there is a huge young presence all through the city, you have depaul in lp/lv colombia and uillinois-chicago downtown and others, northwestern and loyola on the far north/rogers park and uchicago on the south side...

people in chicago probably drink more than any other big city i've seen easily...
i think it was voted #1 binge drinking city not too long ago...
that whole chi-milwaukee area is #1 that i have experienced at least, I can't keep up.

not sure if i've ever seen "families" out much for nights on the town except at navy pier or grant park..
 
Old 12-13-2009, 03:25 AM
 
594 posts, read 985,998 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
erm...they live in wrigleyville too trust me, its more in their price range. plenty of families in lincolnpark as well... not sure what you are arguing about wrigleyville is usually a young crowd , 20s, no doubt is going to be the bulk.
walking distance? i'm not sure what your definition of walking distance is but its 1.7 miles from depaul campus to clark/addison... not very far.

i agree with nafster on this, you are off on what you are saying, esp that its an older city... i'm just not buying it. yeah they have it too but there is a huge young presence all through the city, you have depaul in lp/lv colombia and uillinois-chicago downtown and others, northwestern and loyola on the far north/rogers park and uchicago on the south side...

people in chicago probably drink more than any other big city i've seen easily...
i think it was voted #1 binge drinking city not too long ago...
that whole chi-milwaukee area is #1 that i have experienced at least, I can't keep up.

not sure if i've ever seen "families" out much for nights on the town except at navy pier or grant park..
People drink heavy but that doesnt make the nightlife great--its a fun shot and a beer town--outstanding place to get drunk in the evening with some friendly folks. Don't get me wrong, I had a blast drinking at dive bars in Ukranian Village and other places, but its not what I would call "great nightlife". Even the main nightlife strips (like Damen/North/Milwaukee or Rush/Division) PALE in comparison to nightlife hubs in NYC, LA or Miami, and are more comparable to cities like San Francisco, DC, and Boston (i.e. Second Tier)--although I actually think some of those cities have more cutting edge and diverse nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:00 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top