Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 11:35 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,760,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by one more thing View Post
Yeah I went there 18 months ago, that's when I invited them to visit Philly. Bastrop is Very rural, "drive-thru liquors and guns" country. It's also very close to Austin. This all has zero bearing on their ability to judge a city's vibrancy.
I am not saying they are not able to judge vibrancy, but having visited Bastrop don't you see how big a change the move from Bastrop to Philly would be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 11:43 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,245,372 times
Quote:
They worked at a top-rated luxury resort. So what. They knew Houston. They are both from Texas. One worked in NYC and also Rome (Italy) for a while. You know nothing about them so stop guessing.
Well, like I said, they probably weren't particularly fond of Texas to begin with. I still maintain that they likely don't know Houston as well as they claim. They could be telling you anything.

Now, if they were simply describing downtown as a bunch of glass towers, I could see their point, but to describe all of the city that way is simply an unfair assertion, especially coming from two small towners.

And Austin is a "joke of a city"? Who talks like that? If Texans don't like something, they call it "lame". Lol.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:45 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,760,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I still maintain that they likely don't know Houston as well as they claim. They could be telling you anything.
They probably drove past on I10

Old 11-27-2011, 11:47 AM

13,940 posts, read 14,806,353 times
Quote:
For all the reasons so-called Philly 'homers' keep bringing up. That's the whole point, Philly is that great. It certainly outclasses Rome in many categories, and NYC is close enough. The food scene in Philly is one of the top in the nation, cost of living is good. Not too tough to understand. When discussing downtown vs. downtown, Philly's league is SF, Chicago & Boston. Houston is a step below. The real point is that Philly is a great place to advance your career if you are a chef and that's what worked for them.
Name 1 Catagory that Philly outclasses Rome (italy is assume)?

Old 11-27-2011, 11:47 AM

84 posts, read 93,842 times
Total culture shock for the female, she's never visited a northeast city. But she loves it, absolutely loves it. If you love food, Philly is absolutely a great choice. Philly's port is not as big as Houston or L.A. or Newark, but it is the #1 port for perishable items in the U.S.A.

I don't think most people can relate to what it's like to lose your home to a natural disaster. It creates urgency, but it also creates a moment of freedom. I am simply relaying the experiences of people I know, I am not judging them. I am only pointing out that they love Philly, found jobs right away, and in their opinion Philly - Center City to be precise is more urban and vibrant than downtown Houston. I think most people who have spent a decent amount of time in both cities would agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I am not saying they are not able to judge vibrancy, but having visited Bastrop don't you see how big a change the move from Bastrop to Philly would be?

Old 11-27-2011, 11:48 AM

84 posts, read 93,842 times
GDP - Philly's is more than double Rome's

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
name 1 catagory that philly outclasses rome (italy is assume)?

Old 11-27-2011, 11:50 AM

13,940 posts, read 14,806,353 times
Quote:
GDP - Philly's is more than double Rome's
But Rome Outclasses Philly in
History
Impact on the World
Culture
Vibrancy
Food
ect.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:51 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,773,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Dallas and Houston are horrible. Especially for cities of their size. The department stores close at 6. That ought to tell you how dead they are.
In Houston's case, the nightlife areas are in districts a few miles outside of downtown. That's why. But, I'm sure you omit this fact on purpose, in your effort to portray the city as dead as part of your constant bashing.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:54 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,893,359 times
Atlanta downtown is over hype and people make it seem like atl pop 400,000 residents with a suburban metro of 5 million have a downtown that very weak with a hole in the view lol.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:54 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,245,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Exactly. People who can afford to live in places like New York, Rome, and Philly, and love what these type of cities offer, in terms of urbanity, don't settle on a place like Bastrop, even if it is for work. These folks are weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City