Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 06:23 AM

3 posts, read 9,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
This is pretty interesting as I love and am very interested specifically in Honolulu and Miami.

I'm curious of your experience with cost of living between the two. From my research, they BOTH seem to have high costs. I think South FLorida is certainly easier if the goal is to be a home-owner - although it isn't exactly cheap there either though.

But renting...they seem kind of similar...did you observe a similar experience? So I have a feeling that if rents aren't too different...than the fact Honolulu requires significantly less gas, might make renting in HNL slightly better off than MIA? Or wouldn't you make a case for that? Are there other factors I'm overlooking here?
Rent in both Honolulu and Miami is expensive. You do pay much more for rent for what you get in space in Hawaii. If you are looking to own a home, then Miami is the way to go, especially right now as housing prices are so low. However, you get so much more than just your rented space in Hawaii. The ocean, mountains and breezes - well you just can't put a price on that! Gas is more expensive, but you don't use that much. Also, the bus system is good and clean..you can get pretty much anywhere or close to it anyway. Let me just say that if you're looking for facts about costs and that is the motivator here, then Miami is cheaper as a whole and easier in a way, but I grew up there. If I had to choose right now, based on all I know, I would choose Honolulu. But, I couldn't live in either place forever! My advice to anyone is, if you have a chance to experience Hawaii then just do it! If you don't like it, then you can always move. But, don't let that opportunity pass you by...you will regret it even if you don't know what you've missed! Once you have lived there, it really does get into you and you always miss it. Just take what you absolutely need; travel light, space is limited and renting a storage unit is going to put you in the poor house! Once you get there you realize you really don't need that much...get back to basics and you'll be fine. Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 05:01 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksotia View Post
I'm in Miami and dreading to move to Honolulu. I like Honolulu but I love love love Miami. Our standard of living will be lower in Hawaii, we have to downsize our condo and pay more! Haven't thought so much about other expenses but for sure will be more as well. According to salary calculator it's about 30% more expensive.

I'm not fond of the whole FL, just Miami and some other big cities in the south. Not so much into beaches or outdoor, but enjoy the warm weather. Haven't encountered critter problems as long as I live here, except for the worms by the pooldeck after rain and some fruit flies in the apartment. I might have seen some baby centipedes at the lobby and neighbors who live in lower levels reported mosquitos, but that's it. Most likely because we live in a brand new building which we can no longer afford in Hawaii.

If I had a choice I'd stay in FL but it's not an option since job is sending us there.
Now that I see you are in Honolulu, any updates since this was posted?

Old 01-03-2012, 02:53 AM

7 posts, read 27,961 times
I'm a FL native, and lived in HI for 4 and a half years. After 6 months in San Diego, I'm considering moving back to HI. If I were to move back to FL, it would be to Sarasota. As far as differences go... I agree with most:

Florida:

Cons: flat, extremely humid, very hot, bigger bugs, snakes, alligators, bull sharks, rednecks, snow birds, hurricanes, extreme conservatives, poor education, crappy waves, lots of crime

Pros: sea shells, pretty beaches, amusement parks, affordable real estate, accessibility, fishing, lakes

Hawaii:

Cons: poorer education, isolated, confined, more expensive food, travel and real estate, some ignorant people, burn outs, humid (not as much as FL)

Pros: gorgeous beaches, perfect waves, clear water, consistent weather, friendly people, multicultural, diverse islands, amazing hiking, outer islands are virtually crime free, laid back, non materialistic, open minded interesting people, lots of free active outdoor activities

I'd recommend watching the news in both places. The news in FL is always about the latest murder, rape, death, poisonous food, etc... The news in Hawaii is much more positive with a focus on community, health and fun.

I visit both places on a regular basis after having lived in both, I can say I personally prefer Hawaii.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandstyle View Post
I'm a FL native, and lived in HI for 4 and a half years. After 6 months in San Diego, I'm considering moving back to HI. If I were to move back to FL, it would be to Sarasota. As far as differences go... I agree with most:

Florida:

Cons: flat, extremely humid, very hot, bigger bugs, snakes, alligators, bull sharks, rednecks, snow birds, hurricanes, extreme conservatives, poor education, crappy waves, lots of crime

Pros: sea shells, pretty beaches, amusement parks, affordable real estate, accessibility, fishing, lakes

Hawaii:

Cons: poorer education, isolated, confined, more expensive food, travel and real estate, some ignorant people, burn outs, humid (not as much as FL)

Pros: gorgeous beaches, perfect waves, clear water, consistent weather, friendly people, multicultural, diverse islands, amazing hiking, outer islands are virtually crime free, laid back, non materialistic, open minded interesting people, lots of free active outdoor activities

I'd recommend watching the news in both places. The news in FL is always about the latest murder, rape, death, poisonous food, etc... The news in Hawaii is much more positive with a focus on community, health and fun.

I visit both places on a regular basis after having lived in both, I can say I personally prefer Hawaii.
Good analysis.

Sarasota did seem the most interesting. An actual town where you can feel community and see walkability

If cost was no factor in a decision, Hawaii all the way!

Old 04-07-2012, 07:18 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benice66 View Post
As a sometime Northerner, living and vacationing in Orlando, (not S. Fla.) , where there is so much to do, we found Hawaii boring. We did the three islands and it was okay but overrated and they certainly didn't have the sparkling, new, georgous hotels that Disneyworld has, even though that's not what you go there for.
I don't understand how one can be bored with HaWOWaii. We have beautiful, clear and warm beaches, lush palms and greenery, surf, diversity, good scenery and lots to do in Honolulu. There may not be as much partying or hype over golf (though we have some of that too), but is that a bad thing? We have povertu and bad education, but Florida has that too, plus drug cartels, cold snaps and overbearing heat and humidity. Hawaii is just warm (though not hot) year round.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:35 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,099 times
Anyone who is bored by Hawaii is going out of their way to be bored.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:16 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I don't understand how one can be bored with HaWOWaii. We have beautiful, clear and warm beaches, lush palms and greenery, surf, diversity, good scenery and lots to do in Honolulu. There may not be as much partying or hype over golf (though we have some of that too), but is that a bad thing? We have povertu and bad education, but Florida has that too, plus drug cartels, cold snaps and overbearing heat and humidity. Hawaii is just warm (though not hot) year round.
You live in San Diego!!

Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 PM

Why do people say Hawaii isn't materialistic? Do you drive on the same roads I do? You see all those luxury cars?

Old 04-09-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Why do people say Hawaii isn't materialistic? Do you drive on the same roads I do? You see all those luxury cars?
I don't think Hawaii, in general, is materialistic.

However, I do think the mainlanders who move to Hawaii, are often very materialistic. Living in Hawaii is just another thing 'to attain' for some of them.

I've always felt that Maui attracted the bulk of them. Being that you're in Maui, you're probably getting a stronger sense of that than anywhere else on the Islands.

Just my opinion though.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I don't think Hawaii, in general, is materialistic.

However, I do think the mainlanders who move to Hawaii, are often very materialistic. Living in Hawaii is just another thing 'to attain' for some of them.

I've always felt that Maui attracted the bulk of them. Being that you're in Maui, you're probably getting a stronger sense of that than anywhere else on the Islands.

Just my opinion though.
I see a LOT of luxury cars with "Maui Built" etc stickers and a local looking person inside. There's usually a custom license plate with the person's nickname too. My landlord's cousin's son has a massive S Class Benz!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City