Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 11:32 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Where do you get this stuff from?
How is Atlanta in the least favorite catagory when it is the fastest growing city in shear numbers. More people moved to Atlanta than all these citys despite the lower population.
There's a difference between people desiring to move somewhere and moving somewhere because it offers job opportunities. Either way, it's just the opinion of a group of people surveyed at a travel website...nothing scientific about it.

Quote:
Really, is it this hard to see that NY is jealous of LA.
You have NYer's cheerleading NY, and LA has people from diffrent cities around the nation backing LA
I don't see it at all. This thread was created as a way to attack New York City...just because they're defending themselves doesn't mean they're jealous.

Let me replace the OP with Atlanta and tell me how you would probably react:

I often run into Atlantans and once they learn that I am from City X, they often have to boast and prove to me how great Atlanta is. I find that this happens constantly. Is it just an inferiority complex Atlantans have, or do they just have tremendous pride in their city?

It's rare that I'll encounter
City X'er bashing Atlanta...maybe because we don't have those kinds of hangups?

You showed instant irritability at the survey showing Atlanta as one of America's least favorite cities...something tell me if someone had directed this thread towards Atlanta, you would react similarly to the New Yorkers have.

The purpose of the thread was to rile up New Yorkers, and it worked.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:38 AM

98 posts, read 172,061 times
Prepare? How does it work for cities like Tel Aviv and Ulster, genius? How did it work for London and Madrid? You think 9/11 could be prevent how come it was not prevented in Madrid and London? You can't prepare and prevent it. If it was possible there would be no attacks in Israel after so many years of war...
Hurricanes as devastating as can be do not come out of nowhere, neither did Katrina which was observed long before it hit New Orleans. There is time for preparations and evacuation, not so much in case of a terrorist attack, not to mention that you simply CAN'T evacuate a 9M city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
BTW, it's "levees" not "levies"

The best way to "prepare" for a terrorist attack is to have good intelligence and prevent the act form happening in the first place. That SHOULD have been the case to prevent 9/11. And besides, it's obvious that you've never lived in a city that's had to deal with a hurricane. Ask Miami why they just didn't build levees to prevent the disasters of Hurricane Andrew or few years before Katrina when Florida was hit by four hurricanes in the same year? Or how about the destruction cause to the Texas coast during Ike? I don't know if you've been to Galveston, but they have a huge seawall and all of the coast all house are all on stilts to "prevent" damages to the town, and yet Ike completely decimated Galveston and the Texas coast anyway. Do you think we just didn't build enough levees? New Orleans is in a unique situation because the city is basically in bowl bellow see level and that's why the levees braking where so devastating. There are somethings like terrorist attacks and natural disasters that you can't really prepare for.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:40 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
There's a difference between people desiring to move somewhere and moving somewhere because it offers job opportunities. Either way, it's just the opinion of a group of people surveyed at a travel website...nothing scientific about it.

I don't see it at all. This thread was created as a way to attack New York City...just because they're defending themselves doesn't mean they're jealous.

I often run into Atlantans and once they learn that I am from City X, they often have to boast and prove to me how great Atlanta is. I find that this happens constantly. Is it just an inferiority complex Atlantans have, or do they just have tremendous pride in their city?

It's rare that I'll encounter
City X'er bashing Atlanta...maybe because we don't have those kinds of hangups?

You showed instant irritability at the survey showing Atlanta as one of America's least favorite cities...something tell me if someone had directed this thread towards Atlanta, you would react similarly to the New Yorkers have.

haha! I love this! I tried toe rep you, but it said I need to spread it around.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:45 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Did you just imply that weather is predictable? Seriously?! First off, you can make the argument that you can prepare for a hurricane...though the only thing you can really do is run for your life and hope for the best. But an earthquake?! I just don't even know how to respond to that. Tell the people of Sri Lanka, Malaysia, and Indonesia about how predictable an earthquake is.

You say terrorists are worse because "they're fanatics with no respect for their own lives". You do realize that hurricanes and earthquakes don't spare anyone, right? They aren't a living being, therefore they don't have any compassion for life or property.

I'm not saying terrorists aren't horrible...but you're off base by claiming that they're somehow worse than a natural disaster.

Right! Now you're beginning to understand. They're both horrible situations, and it's basically impossible to make a case that one is worse than the other...oh wait, then you say this:

So there's no threat of another hurricane hitting New Orleans again?

Sure, I can agree with that. It was a great job by the city of New York to bounce back from the psychological effects of being the target of a horrible attack. But you can't honestly sit there and say that it was any worse than what happened in the Gulf...

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link
I agree. Those pics show WHOLE blocks of a SMALLER city then NYC. NYC is a BIG city. New Orleans is smaller, and the hurricane destroyed a GREAT amount of the city. Hurricane Katrina can be EASILY compared to September 11th. 1,096 people died in Louisiana alone.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:51 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
I'm from Los Angeles and have never been to New York. I want to go but not to deal with any of the people or to live there. I want to go to do the tourist thing. I want to see the statue of liberty, Ellis island, the New York library, the Gughenheim (hope I spelled that right), grand central station, central park, see a play on broadway etc.

The city is always made to look beautiful in the movies but I've heard that's not the case. I don't EVER have a problem with a city, but the people tend to be what ruins a city. I've been to Chicago and, though the city was amazing, the people sucked balls. The people I stayed with and the neighborhood where they lived were great but the folks downtown were pretty bad.

Many of the east coasters who come to L.A. go out of their way to identify themselves as east coasters, especially New Yorkers, and will announce it within the first five minutes of a conversation. Nothing wrong with that but they usually do it in the form of a criticism of L.A. If L.A. is that bad, then why are you here?

We have what we have and you have what you have. Intimidated? I doubt that New Yorkers are intimidated by L.A. just as I'm sure that us folks from L.A. (especially the neighborhood I grew up in) are not intimidated by New York. They're just places and the people vary greatly depending on the area where they live; just like any other city in the U.S. and the world.
Alot of transplants from NYC do that to ALOT of places they go to. It's like when they announce that they're from New York City, it's supposed to be the BIGGEST announcement EVER!!!! WOW!!! How proud you must be.LOL. There is nothing wrong with pride, it's the ARROGANCE associated with it. They are not mythical gods.LOL. But from what I heard, the New Yorkers that are still living there, seem to be humble, and don't really think much about "Being from New York".

Old 12-14-2009, 11:55 AM

98 posts, read 172,061 times
Maybe they just simply state where they are from but your inferiority complex and resulting resentment makes you hear them make " the BIGGEST announcement EVER"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Alot of transplants from NYC do that to ALOT of places they go to. It's like when they announce that they're from New York City, it's supposed to be the BIGGEST announcement EVER!!!! WOW!!! How proud you must be.LOL. There is nothing wrong with pride, it's the ARROGANCE associated with it. They are not mythical gods.LOL. But from what I heard, the New Yorkers that are still living there, seem to be humble, and don't really think much about "Being from New York".

Old 12-14-2009, 11:58 AM

725 posts, read 1,510,910 times
Quote:

It's rare that I'll encounter City X'er bashing Atlanta...maybe because we don't have those kinds of hangups?

I see your point. I can see how this can be bait for those NYer's briming with pride. There are threads up and down this site bashing ATL so we had our share and we know all to well.

There is one diffrence...

I see no problem with a city putting themselves up especially a city as great as New York... I just don't like when one has to put another city down to do it. Atlanta is normally in the latter category, so we just have to disprove myths. New York seems to be in a constant quest for supremicy.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:00 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
I see your point. I can see how this can be bait for those NYer's briming with pride. There are threads up and down this site bashing ATL so we had our share and we know all to well.

There is one diffrence...

I see no problem with a city putting themselves up especially a city as great as New York... I just don't like when one has to put another city down to do it. Atlanta is normally in the latter category, so we just have to disprove myths. New York seems to be in a constant quest for supremicy.
That's why its seems like a city like LA could be intimidating

Old 12-14-2009, 12:00 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
Quote:
Mark Wahlberg is from Boston...

Haha, I certainly wouldn't call New York City boring...maybe those LA'ers are just too intimidated to go out so they don't have anything to write about
That is lame, man

Old 12-14-2009, 12:03 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
^^ I agree that people are often putting down cities like Atlanta...along with Houston, Dallas, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City