U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 01:35 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,242,813 times

Advertisements

I like attending those "Playdates" that are held about every other week here in Atlanta. Those are FUN. They are doing those all over the nation. I know D/FW has Playdate too.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:38 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,242,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Remember that even though the majority of the Buckhead Village bar scene is gone, there are still 30+ bars there. It doesn't compare to the 100+ that used to be there, but they aren't entirely gone.

I was driving down Peachtree the other day and noticed that ESPN Zone closed. . I'm pretty sure that is a result of the economy though.

Oh the stories I could tell from going to Cream, Uranus, and Havana Club to name a few. When I lived in another state, I would take weekend trips quite often up here, check into my hotel and go right out to the village. Fun times

I guess when I see the area now, my frame of reference is based on what "used" to be there. But since this IS Atlanta we're talking about, I should be accustomed to stuff being torn down and replaced on a constant basis, LOL.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:39 PM

13,405 posts, read 19,777,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
My friends in Dallas seem to think the Hip-Hop, R&B and Jazz clubs are better in Atlanta, but then again, I don't think too many places would really "outdo" Atlanta when it comes to those types of clubs (NYC, DC or Miami, and Houston has some pretty good ones). YMMV I guess. Didn't you say that Dallas has a better dance club scene?

What about some chill, laid back lounges and clubs? I'm pushing 30 and I'm getting tired of the whole club "scene" anyhow.
Dallas does offer more for the techno/electronica/dance club goer. But I cant see how Dallas would outdo Atlanta for hip-hop and R&B clubs.

As far as lounges go, its a wash. You can find heaps of them in either city. However, Dallas seems to be a breeding ground for Electronica Lounge music. Groups like Shock of Pleasure and Triprocket fit that bill.

http://www.myspace.com/shockofpleasure

Is that the type of lounge music youre talking about?

Old 12-30-2009, 02:25 PM

563 posts, read 1,134,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I was driving down Peachtree the other day and noticed that ESPN Zone closed. . I'm pretty sure that is a result of the economy though.

Oh the stories I could tell from going to Cream, Uranus, and Havana Club to name a few. When I lived in another state, I would take weekend trips quite often up here, check into my hotel and go right out to the village. Fun times

I guess when I see the area now, my frame of reference is based on what "used" to be there. But since this IS Atlanta we're talking about, I should be accustomed to stuff being torn down and replaced on a constant basis, LOL.

Man those were the days. Truth be told, I grew tired of it during the later days. If it was still there, I would never go. Like another poster said, I'm more into the lounges and laid back spots.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:41 PM

2,809 posts, read 3,992,617 times
Dallas has a great bar scene with several neighborhoods where you can bar hop. The Oak Lawn area has a great gay district with plenty of bars crammed into a small area which is perfect for a night out on the town.

Atlanta used to have a great bar scene until 2003-2004. After that the city just seems a lot more sterile these days. There are still bars here and there and the Crescent strip in midtown is the best in terms of a cohesive bar area.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:47 PM

2,809 posts, read 3,992,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
If our system wasnt reliable then why are 259,000 people riding Marta sounds like alot of people rely on Marta.
Marta isnt as bad as people make it out to be. It does have great ridership numbers and serves the main economic centers of Atlanta. The problem with Marta is the conservative leaders in Georgia who oppose expansion and the stigma Marta has for being "Ghetto". I personally feel Dart has a more diverse ridership and an overall better reception from the public which helps it expand. Marta unfortunately doesn't.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:45 PM

12,026 posts, read 17,214,684 times
The MARTA had an incident where a bipolar ghetto "chick" got stupid on this old lady for no reason.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:21 AM

19,866 posts, read 31,753,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
The MARTA had an incident where a bipolar ghetto "chick" got stupid on this old lady for no reason.
Yes, we are well aware of that internet sensation. What is your point? That this is a hourly occurrence on MARTA? I know that you are not even going to go there.
BTW, the girl and the woman know each other; the latter is a friend of the former's mother. The lady was very compassionate towards the girl after the incident, as she understood that she had the disease and had gone off of her meds.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:44 AM

9,223 posts, read 13,248,761 times
I didn't know that last part. The video and spoof was very funny.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:14 AM

2,851 posts, read 5,337,260 times
Some MARTA pictures I've taken. These are at Five points, Ga Dome, Peachtree Center, Arts Center and Midtown Stations.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City