Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 09:40 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i don't remember ever saying that there were no hispanic elected officials in metro atlanta. i was saying that BLACK MAYORS are not out of the ordinary in dfw. can the same be said of hispanics in atlanta

the point is, you're getting all bent out of shape over nothing, because once again, i was only trying to prove that hispanics don't have the same presence over there as blacks have in dallas. do you disagree with that?

and then you're gonna try and tell me i don't know atlanta. please. the average american wouldn't even be able to tell you where buford hwy is, let alone the demographics that surround. so don't tell me i don't know anything about atlanta. and my comments about the mexican restaurants was my opinion, so deal with it

and FYI, hispanic influence in places like dallas and houston (and most areas east of i-45) does not go back hundreds of years. it only goes back to the early 20th century. so now who's making ignorant and uninformed statements?
No, we don't have any Hispanic Mayors here. We have State Legislators and Senators. Different setup here than the many, many incorporated suburbs of the Metroplex.

I've only changed planes at DFW, so I'm not qualified to speak to anything very specific about the area. Perhaps you should try the same.

Buford Hwy is known nationally to foodies, and has been for quite some time. Try again.

Wrong about the Hispanic influence in Dallas & Houston. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Texas used to BE Mexico?

It's pretty clear you have no idea of what you're talking about here. But keep going if it makes you feel better to minimalize the Latin influence in Atlanta.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
nobody was saying otherwise, so that's a moot point
Um, yes. You were very MUCH saying otherwise.

Taco Cabana? Really?

Old 01-04-2010, 09:43 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Ummm, wouldn't "the early 20th century" be at least 100 years ago? *shrugs*
last i checked ONE hundred and HUNDREDS were not the same

Old 01-04-2010, 09:48 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
No, we don't have any Hispanic Mayors here. We have State Legislators and Senators. Different setup here than the many, many incorporated suburbs of the Metroplex.

I've only changed planes at DFW, so I'm not qualified to speak to anything very specific about the area. Perhaps you should try the same.

Buford Hwy is known nationally to foodies, and has been for quite some time. Try again.
i said the average american. not foodies

Quote:
Wrong about the Hispanic influence in Dallas & Houston. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Texas used to BE Mexico?

It's pretty clear you have no idea of what you're talking about here. But keep going if it makes you feel better to minimalize the Latin influence in Atlanta.
yes texas used to be mexico. but guess what? after they lost the war, the mexicans left and didn't return til the 1900s. before then, dallas and houston were black and white...with no mexican restaurants

keep em comin buddy. i can do this all day

Old 01-04-2010, 09:48 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
last i checked ONE hundred and HUNDREDS were not the same
I mean really, we can argue about silly little semantics all day if we must. Besides, I think johnatl was referring to Texas overall, not just Dallas and Houston. It goes without saying that historically, Texas overall has a much more connected history with Mexico than Georgia does. Dallas and Houston were small to mid-sized cities back in the early 20th century, but as they became the large regional metropolises they are today, the Latino population grew there much earlier than they did Atlanta. I think we're all trying to say similar things, just going a different way of saying them, so lets move on.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:49 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I honestly believe that people are going to be SHOCKED with the upcoming Census results. SHOCKED.

I have seen estimates that blow that 400,000 figure totally out of the water.
The key word in my posts was "Mexican", I never said Latino or Hispanic. If we are talking Latino or Hispainc, I belive the figure is closer to just under 600,000.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:50 AM

316 posts, read 654,729 times
Hahaha get this dude out of here. First off we have a ton of Brazilian restaurants right on Peachtree street in Buckhead. I know for a fact that Taco Cabana is right of of Piedmont. I also know that Taco Cabana is big in Texas because I past them all the time while I'm out there. I have seen them in DFW, Houston, and San Antonio. Oh I forgot one more thing, I even see them in rural towns, I saw one in Schertz near San Antonio off of I-10. Taco Cabana is like McDonalds in Texas, plenty of them. So that's one restaurant that both cities have.

Also we have several chains in Atlanta. We have On the Border, Pappasitos, and many others. I have seen plenty of authentic Mexican restaurants right in Forest Park, south of town. Now have I eaten at any of the authentic restaurants in that area, No, but we do have them. I also know that we don't have near as many Mexican restaurants as Texas due to the Hispanic population there, but we do have them. Lastly I heard that El Paso had some of the best Mexican food in Texas. Now that might be wrong because I don't live there, that's just what I heard from others.

I also know that Atlanta has plenty of delicious Jamaican restaurants. Pretty much Atlanta, DFW, and Houston has everything that anyone can want in a city. IMHO

Old 01-04-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:

yes texas used to be mexico. but guess what? after they lost the war, the mexicans left and didn't return til the 1900s. before then, dallas and houston were black and white...with no mexican restaurants

Just stop. You've been proven wrong, badly.

At this point you're just embarrassing yourself.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:55 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:

Actually, many of the Mexicans were often killed and intimidated into being driven out after the war. But to say that all the Mexicans left would be a falsehood.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:56 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
As for the Latino population of D/FW, it consists mainly of Latinos of Mexican descent, correct? Are there a large amount of Cubans, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, etc. in the area?

I think Houston has the largest Central American population in Texas though, right?
To an extent. DFW has alot of Salvadorans and Hondurans as well. But while DFW's Mexican population has always been large, other central American residents didnt start coming here until about 20 years ago. The Salvadoran population here exploded in the last 15 years.

But yes, Houston does have the largest central American population.

Its funny to look at Houston and DFW's Mexican populations side by side. Metro Houston has about 50,000 more Mexicans overall, but DFW has about 50,000 more Mexicans that were born in Mexico. To me that says that the Mexican community in Houston is more established and the Mexican community in DFW exploded faster more recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City