Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 11:49 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
But whether people like it or not, Atlanta serves as the regional hub/center of the Southeast, where most black people in this country live, therefore it is perceived to be a more attractive choice (since people are on here misinterpreting posts, please note that I am saying "perceived" and not what is).
I can also mention that Atlanta is a center of black education as well. You have Morehouse, Spelman, Clark Atlanta, Morris Brown (whom I hope can get it together).
I agree that Atlanta has become a black mecca, but to say that it's because the southeast is where the most black people live (btw aren't the majority of blacks in Mississippi and Louisiana)? Be real. Atlanta is a black mecca because it is constantly advertised in the black community as such. One thing that Georgia/Atlanta does a good job at is promoting themselves. Whenever something on t.v. that's filmed in Georgia goes off they have that big Georgia peach logo after the credits. Mainstream media always portrays Atlanta in black music, television, and movies. To an extent it's almost as if Atlanta is forced down your throat.
Atlanta is constantly sold as the city that the black man/woman can go and be successful, where the African American can achieve it whatever they aspire. Eventually it will become oversaturated if it already isn't.

As far as being an education center, Atlanta is well known for it's HBCU's but the "grandeur" of these especially CAU and MB are regionalized just like any other HBCU. Spelman and Morehouse get more recognition, but many of the students who were sold on the ideology of becoming a "Morehouse Man" at one time have been replaced by kids who saw movies like "Drumline", "ATL", and " Stomp the Yard" and got caught up in the hype.

If other cities were marketed to the same effect, they would have similar growth patterns.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:00 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I agree that Atlanta has become a black mecca, but to say that it's because the southeast is where the most black people live? Be real. Atlanta is a black mecca because it is constantly advertised in the black community as such. One thing that Georgia/Atlanta does a good job at is promoting themselves. Whenever something on t.v. that's filmed in Georgia goes off they have that big Georgia peach logo after the credits. Mainstream media always portrays Atlanta in black music, television, and movies. To an extent it's almost as if Atlanta is forced down your throat.
Atlanta is constantly sold as the city that the black man/woman can go and be successful, where the African American can achieve it whatever they aspire. Eventually it will become oversaturated if it already isn't.

As far as being an education center, Atlanta is well known for it's HBCU's but the "grandeur" of these especially CAU and MB are regionalized just like any other HBCU. Spelman and Morehouse get more recognition, but many of the students who were sold on the ideology of becoming a "Morehouse Man" at one time have been replaced by kids who saw movies like "Drumline", "ATL", and " Stomp the Yard" and got caught up in the hype.

If other cities were marketed to the same effect, they would have similar growth patterns.

I was NOT saying that

Atlanta is a regional hub of business, education, commerce and transportation in the Southeast, so in numbers (not percentages), it's going to draw more people than your Charlottes and Nashvilles in the region. Due to the history of the Civil Rights Movement and the Black Middle Class that have migrated here, it draws a lot of African-American people here. There are many reasons for this, many of which were explained ad nauseum in previous posts and threads, so why bother going through that again. Google It!

I consider Miami a "hispanic mecca" even if say Chicago has more Hispanics in numbers.

San Francisco is known as a "gay mecca," but I bet there are other cities with larger gay populations in number, perhaps even percentage, but SF is the most prominent and well known. There are plenty of other cities that have large gay populations, but SF is perceived to be more gay-friendly than many cities.

But I will agree that Atlanta does get a HUGE amount of hype that it doesn't necessarily live up to in real life. I can understand that causes resentment from other places. That being said, I like the place.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
I was NOT saying that
My bad, I took "But whether people like it or not, Atlanta serves as the regional hub/center of the Southeast, where most black people in this country live, therefore it is perceived to be a more attractive choice" for face value.

Quote:
Atlanta is a regional hub of business, education, commerce and transportation in the Southeast, so in numbers (not percentages), it's going to draw more people than your Charlottes and Nashvilles in the region. Due to the history of the Civil Rights Movement and the Black Middle Class that have migrated here, it draws a lot of African-American people here. There are many reasons for this, many of which were explained ad nauseum in previous posts and threads, so why bother going through that again. Google It!
Wouldn't all of that give off the impression that Atlanta is the place to be for the African American?

Quote:
I consider Miami a "hispanic mecca" even if say Chicago has more Hispanics in numbers.

San Francisco is known as a "gay mecca," but I bet there are other cities with larger gay populations in number, perhaps even percentage, but SF is the most prominent and well known. There are plenty of other cities that have large gay populations, but SF is perceived to be more gay-friendly than many cities.
You lost me here ^.

Quote:
But I will agree that Atlanta does get a HUGE amount of hype that it doesn't necessarily live up to in real life. I can understand that causes resentment from other places. That being said, I like the place.

Not trying to bash or take anything from Atlanta, Just trying to point out that it's not the black mecca just because most blacks live in the live in the southeast. I was trying to point out that marketing plays a large roll in the black migration to Atlanta. The only other cities marketed en masse are New York, Los Angeles, and Miami and they are marketed in a more subliminal way since they are the most common backdrops in mainstream media versus direct marketing.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:09 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:

Dallas does have better shopping though. But hey, we have Bloomingdales and H&M!
Why must you be so cruel?

Old 12-16-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
My bad, I took "But whether people like it or not, Atlanta serves as the regional hub/center of the Southeast, where most black people in this country live, therefore it is perceived to be a more attractive choice" for face value.

Wouldn't all of that give off the impression that Atlanta is the place to be for the African American?
All I'm saying is that there are historical, geographical and other reasons for why Atlanta is perceived to be a "black Mecca"

Quote:
You lost me here ^.
Just as Atlanta is not the only 'game in town' for the black middle class to thrive, San Francisco is not the 'only game in town' for GLBT seeking a city that is more accepting in spite of perceptions to the contrary. My sleeping pill induced attempt at trying to make an analogy.

Quote:
Not trying to bash or take anything from Atlanta, Just trying to point out that it's not the black mecca just because most blacks live in the live in the southeast. I was trying to point out that marketing plays a large roll in the black migration to Atlanta. The only other cities marketed en masse are New York, Los Angeles, and Miami and they are marketed in a more subliminal way since they are the most common backdrops in mainstream media versus direct marketing.

Last edited by grindin; 12-16-2009 at 12:32 AM..

Old 12-16-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Why must you be so cruel?
One of my friends that recently relocated to Houston from Atlanta has lamented about the lack of H&M in Houston. I don't really like their clothes, so it really doesn't matter to me. I think Dallas is getting their first H&M next year. An H&M in The Galleria or Rice Village would be really cool though

Last edited by grindin; 12-16-2009 at 12:54 AM..

Old 12-16-2009, 12:34 AM

I guess I didn't break it down good enough. When I mentioned Atlanta being the place you can make it and the Morehouse Man, etc. I was trying to allude to the middle, racial history, etc. giving Atlanta the image as the place where the African American can make it big. We basically said the same thing there, you just elaborated more on it. Those were the original cause of that increase in blacks in that area, but in recent times heavy marketing has moved in place of that IMO.

Like you said, Atlanta is not the only game in town. There are many cities where blacks are successful, it's just that Atlanta is known for that.

FWIW I was the 2nd person to vote in this poll and I voted for Atlanta.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
I guess I didn't break it down good enough. When I mentioned Atlanta being the place you can make it and the Morehouse Man, etc. I was trying to allude to the middle, racial history, etc. giving Atlanta the image as the place where the African American can make it big. We basically said the same thing there, you just elaborated more on it. Those were the original cause of that increase in blacks in that area, but in recent times heavy marketing has moved in place of that IMO.

Like you said, Atlanta is not the only game in town. There are many cities where blacks are successful, it's just that Atlanta is known for that.

FWIW I was the 2nd person to vote in this poll and I voted for Atlanta.
I think we're saying the same thing, just in different ways. Inwemt off on a tangent and wrote essays, that's all. I'll smack myself for that.

I voted for Atlanta as well, but I wouldn't hesitate to move to Dallas if the right offer came along.

Back on topic - What grocery store in Dallas is the equivalent to Publix? If I do move from Atlanta, I'll definitely miss that store. I hear HEB is actually going to start opening stores in the metroplex soon (I know they own Central Market in the are).

Old 12-16-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
What grocery store in Dallas is the equivalent to Publix? If I do move from Atlanta, I'll definitely miss that store. I hear HEB is actually going to start opening stores in the metroplex soon (I know they own Central Market in the are).
Probably Kroger or Tom Thumb.

HEB Plus is the best affordable grocery store that I've ever been in. I wish we had them here.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:50 AM

737 posts, read 1,176,965 times
Quote:

Back on topic - What grocery store in Dallas is the equivalent to Publix? If I do move from Atlanta, I'll definitely miss that store. I hear HEB is actually going to start opening stores in the metroplex soon (I know they own Central Market in the are).
Central Market is great! There are 4 of them in DFW one in Dallas, Fort Worth, Plano and Southlake. I'd much rather see more Central Market stores pop up than HEB.

Edit: Yes CM is my favorite grocery store!

Last edited by CityPerson09; 12-16-2009 at 03:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City