U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 03:19 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,766,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
But I have to agree that you can't really generalize about an entire metro based on those observations. You mention 4 suburbs of these two cities out of literally hundreds.

I've always thought of Alpharetta and Plano as contemporaries/"sister cities" of each other though. I can understand the comparison between the two.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:21 PM

15,831 posts, read 20,011,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
that the thing not all of Dallas suburban houses or even houses in Dallas itself are on small lots of land it vary from neighborhood to neighborhood It largely depends on how Wealthy the neighborhood is just like Metro Atlanta. Some Atlanta suburbs like Alpharetta and part of Marrietta are very affluent thus the land lots are bigger but most of Atlanta's suburban houses are on small lots like Dallas yes.
We never said all of them are; we said most of them. Our most affluent neighborhoods are also built on small lots.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Have you ever seen The Great Trinity Forest in Dallas!?!
Heard of it, never seen it. But this is a matter of geography. Dallas straddles the Blackland Prairie/Crosstimbers regions, while Atlanta is in the Piedmont/Appalachian foothills. Different climate, different biomes, different flora and fauna, etc...Just by it lying in a prairie, Dallas will not be anywhere as abundant in trees as Atlanta or even Houston in the forseeable future. Keep in mind I'm not saying that Dallas is "treeless" or "barren". It's just that it's not as green as Atlanta. Had Dallas/Ft. Worth developed just 100 miles to the east, where Tyler and Kilgore are, it would be a different story.

However, perception is reality to many people. People from the Southern California or Arizona will find Dallas to be "greener" than what they're accustomed to, whereas someone like me from Atlanta or someone from the Pacific NW will not find Dallas to be quite as "green". YMMV.

Also, when I did a google search of the Great Trinity Forest, this was the second thing that popped up:

Dallas News - The Great Trinity Forest Ain't So Great - page 1

"Although groves of hardwood forest occur in the area, the larger share of the land is second or third growth dominated by invasive species such as Chinese privet, considered an aggressive weed in much of the Southern United States..."

While the concept sounds great on paper, it sounds like the GTF has a bit of a ways to go...

Last edited by grindin; 01-12-2010 at 03:36 PM..

Old 01-12-2010, 03:35 PM

5,098 posts, read 4,681,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Heard of it, never seen it. But this is a matter of geography. Dallas straddles the Blackland Prairie/Crosstimbers regions, while Atlanta is in the Piedmont/Appalachian foothills. Different climate, different biomes, different flora and fauna, etc...Just by it lying in a prairie, Dallas will not be anywhere as abundant in trees as Atlanta or even Houston in the forseeable future. Keep in mind I'm not saying that Dallas is "treeless" or "barren". It's just that it's not as green as Atlanta. Had Dallas/Ft. Worth developed just 100 miles to the east, where Tyler and Kilgore are, it would be a different story.

Also, when I did a google search of the Great Trinity Forest, this was the second thing that popped up:

"Although groves of hardwood forest occur in the area, the larger share of the land is second or third growth dominated by invasive species such as Chinese privet, considered an aggressive weed in much of the Southern United States..."

While the concept sounds great on paper, it sounds like the GTF has a bit of a ways to go...
take my word for it, the great trinity "forest" isn't anything special compared to the forested land from i-45 to the atlantic coast

Old 01-12-2010, 03:38 PM

3,269 posts, read 5,435,359 times
Quote:
Heard of it, never seen it. But this is a matter of geography. Dallas is on the plains/crosstimbers, while Atlanta is in the Piedmont/Appalachian foothills. Different climate, different biomes, different flora and fauna, etc...Just by it lying in a prairie, Dallas will not be anywhere as abundant in trees as Atlanta or even Houston in the forseeable future. Keep in mind I'm not saying that Dallas is "treeless" or "barren". It's just that it's not as green as Atlanta.

Great Trinity Forest
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...y%20Forest.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIEb9vm-iOA

Old 01-12-2010, 03:41 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,764,550 times
Quote:
I've always thought of Alpharetta and Plano as contemporaries/"sister cities" of each other though. I can understand the comparison between the two.
They may compare favorably, but my point is that you can't use the comparison to make a general statement about Atlanta vs. Dallas. There are hundreds of other suburbs that aren't anything at all like Alpharetta and Plano.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:43 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,764,550 times
The Great Trinity Forest is but one small part of Dallas...ALL of Atlanta is forested - it isn't limited to one section of forested land.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:45 PM

15,831 posts, read 20,011,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
They may compare favorably, but my point is that you can't use the comparison to make a general statement about Atlanta vs. Dallas. There are hundreds of other suburbs that aren't anything at all like Alpharetta and Plano.
yes there is.

I don't think neither Dallas nor Atlanta have diverse suburbs. Don't tell me Plano is unique, because many other suburbs in Dallas look just like it.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:49 PM

10,267 posts, read 11,083,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
yes there is.

I don't think neither Dallas nor Atlanta have diverse suburbs. Don't tell me Plano is unique, because many other suburbs in Dallas look just like it.
Not diverse as in all the burbs look the same?

Old 01-12-2010, 03:49 PM

It seems nice and I applaud the efforts of the people working hard to conserve and preserve the area, but trust me, when you live in a city like Atlanta, Dallas' trees are still going to seem shorter and stubbier in comparison.

You want 'urban forest'? Here's some 'urban forest', LOL:

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4009/p1011284es5.jpg (broken link)

http://www.beforeyoutakethatpill.com...atl_trees3.jpg

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City