U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 05:40 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,720,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I thought that jobs were actually leaving here.
Did you just look at the Atlanta bubble on the map or did you happen to notice all of the other red bubbles representing every U.S. city? They have all lost jobs.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:15 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,563,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Did you just look at the Atlanta bubble on the map or did you happen to notice all of the other red bubbles representing every U.S. city? They have all lost jobs.
Even the Texas cities have lost jobs, just not as much as everyone else.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:40 PM

12,195 posts, read 17,459,415 times
What can't understand is if Atlanta is losing jobs, then why are people still moving here in droves?!

Old 01-13-2010, 08:45 PM

4,230 posts, read 8,826,546 times
Quote:
What can't understand is if Atlanta is losing jobs, then why are people still moving here in droves?!
Because they want to go.
People are attracted to Atlanta, so they'll go because that's where they picture themselves being. If something seriously bad happens them I'm sure people will leave, but hopefully that won't be anytime soon.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:50 PM

20,570 posts, read 32,536,311 times
Quote:
It's not like there are no job opportunities in Atlanta; it's a severe decline in opportunities that we're actually talking about. I am hearing about opportunities beginning to open up here and there from friends; some companies that had hiring freezes in 2009 are starting to budget for new positions in 2010. It's a modest change, but a positive one.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:21 PM

I still don't think Atlanta will be the same Atlanta or the Atlanta that we knew it to be in 2005 or 2006 when the area grew by 160,000+. I think we won't see that anymore, and also, I think that this "BLACK MECCA" thing will become corny and fade out. Other southern cities will be top destinations for blacks.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:25 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,720,666 times
Quote:
I still don't think Atlanta will be the same Atlanta or the Atlanta that we knew it to be in 2005 or 2006 when the area grew by 160,000+. I think we won't see that anymore, and also, I think that this "BLACK MECCA" thing will become corny and fade out. Other southern cities will be top destinations for blacks.
This "Black Mecca" thing isn't a new phenomenon. Atlanta has been a mecca for black professionals for 100 years or more.

Atlanta is still the same Atlanta it was in 2005 and 2006. Relocation across the U.S. has slowed down considerably...I'm not sure why you continue to try and single Atlanta out as if this is not true practically everywhere. But keep it up if you wish...it's actually getting funny.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:54 PM

631 posts, read 1,045,737 times
Quote:

Keep, Dreaming, Wishing, Praying, Advertising Posting, its not going to happen buddy. Atlanta is one oif these cities that will have a real strong chance of coming out to the recession very well..... They day blacks are less dominate in this cities will probably be when im 90 years old

Old 01-14-2010, 05:49 AM

For real, I think that Atlanta being a "BLACK MECCA", which is kind of corny, will probably begin to get old and older. I just don't think that Atlanta will grow the same. People here already complain about the traffic and racism, which isn't all that bad in certain areas. Atlanta's reputation is making people have second chances about moving here. I can't speak on Dallas because I haven't been there. Atlanta, now, is starting to get played out. Atlanta will continue to grow, but face it, those days of a 3.0% yearly growth will soon change. I don't the Metro will see any growth like that anytime soon. The competiveness of jobs leave some newcomers and natives without jobs. We all know that Atlanta will recover from the recession, but the recession has put a big wound on Atlanta that will become a scar; people who will move here will see what Atlanta went through during the recession. Honestly, I was the surprise that Atlanta didn't do well in the recession like a few cities in the country. For a city with a growing black population and excessive hype, who would have thought this would have happened.

That's all I'm saying. If you think I'm bashing Atlanta, OH WELL!

Old 01-14-2010, 06:02 AM

20,570 posts, read 32,536,311 times
Quote:
For real, I think that Atlanta being a "BLACK MECCA", which is kind of corny, will probably begin to get old and older. I just don't think that Atlanta will grow the same. People here already complain about the traffic and racism, which isn't all that bad in certain areas. Atlanta's reputation is making people have second chances about moving here. I can't speak on Dallas because I haven't been there. Atlanta, now, is starting to get played out. Atlanta will continue to grow, but face it, those days of a 3.0% yearly growth will soon change. I don't the Metro will see any growth like that anytime soon. The competiveness of jobs leave some newcomers and natives without jobs. We all know that Atlanta will recover from the recession, but the recession has put a big wound on Atlanta that will become a scar; people who will move here will see what Atlanta went through during the recession. Honestly, I was the surprise that Atlanta didn't do well in the recession like a few cities in the country. For a city with a growing black population and excessive hype, who would have thought this would have happened.

That's all I'm saying. If you think I'm bashing Atlanta, OH WELL!
The term 'Black Mecca' feels dated to me, too...not to mention irritating. It implies 'exclusivity', as if other races don't matter to the city.
Do I think that a city whose very identity for 180 years has had everything to do with progress, growth, prosperity and striving to be better is 'permanently scarred' due to a 2-year recession? Absolutely not. Perhaps you have to have lived here for some time to really know what this city is all about. It has never been, and will never be, defeated.
I really think the city's positivity and optimism is what really annoys some posters on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City