Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 06:24 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,438,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
People took the "Black mecca" appellation and blew it up into something it was never meant to convey. The fact of the matter is that when you consider the history of Blacks in this country and how Atlanta was very quick to embrace civil and economic equality for Blacks, it is very laudable and significant. Atlanta thus became a center of Black culture, and rightly so. At one point, it was one of only a handful of cities where Blacks weren't just doing OK for themselves, but they were actually prospering and thriving. Now other cities, such as my own, are joining that club and that's a great thing. But Atlanta has been and continues to recognized as a trailblazer in that era. The historic prosperity of Blacks there evokes a time when Blacks had their own self-sufficient, well-to-do communities (the Black "Wall Streets" in various cities) that were destroyed for one reason or another.
Exactly
None of this can even be denied and nobody has even tried to. Nobody has said that just because blacks can be successful in other places takes any of this away from Atlanta. Nobody said that all blacks will go to Atlanta and become successful.

Quote:
People took the "Black mecca" appellation and blew it up into something it was never meant to convey.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:25 PM

631 posts, read 1,222,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
and yet you keep dragging the horse back into the room so that it can be beat some more.

NOBODY HAS SAID that Atlanta claims to be the black mecca. We are talking perception. Stop getting so defensive and read. Almost every time you'll reply to something it is taken out of proportion or just completely miscomprehended.
A&M bulldog dragged it back up go back and read again sir and you played right back into it again.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
People took the "Black mecca" appellation and blew it up into something it was never meant to convey. The fact of the matter is that when you consider the history of Blacks in this country and how Atlanta, a Southern city, was very quick to embrace civil and economic equality for Blacks, it is very laudable and significant. Atlanta thus became a center of Black culture, and rightly so. At one point, it was one of only a handful of cities where Blacks weren't just doing OK for themselves, but they were actually prospering and thriving. Now other cities, such as my own, are joining that club and that's a great thing. But Atlanta has been and continues to recognized as a trailblazer in that era. The historic prosperity of Blacks there evokes a time when Blacks had their own self-sufficient, well-to-do communities (the Black "Wall Streets" in various cities) that were destroyed for one reason or another. Regardless as to what some think, Atlanta wouldn't be what it is today had it not been for early progressive leadership that caused the city to be a magnet for African Americans. And neither does the city's status as a "Black mecca" preclude other people of other races/ethnicities from moving to the city and doing well for themselves, which they have done and continue to do.

I really hope this sumed up everything for everyone because this post was right on point.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:27 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,782,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Why would I be jealous? I've never said that I was jealous of Atlanta. Why would I be jealous of a city?
Your own words:

"I'm sorry for that y'all. It's just Atlanta is always in the spotlight. Atlanta is growing too much that people tend to forget about Alabama, my homestate. It's all good though. All is good."

You didn't use the word "jealous," but that's exactly what this is.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
A&M bulldog dragged it back up go back and read again sir and you played right back into it again.
1) My comment was in favor of R1070's comment. A&M's motive is obvious, why pay attention to him. I was acknowledging that I felt the same way that R1070 felt, because that is how I feel.

2)The post that you are replying to wasn't even directed to you. That was for chiatldal who replied to my comment.

3)My reply to you, was that you missed my point. Seriously, every post I make you two pick it apart and take it a completely different way.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Exactly
None of this can even be denied and nobody has even tried to. Nobody has said that just because blacks can be successful in other places takes any of this away from Atlanta. Nobody said that all blacks will go to Atlanta and become successful.

You were one of the Main ones who helped blow it out of portion you and your from from Dallas that used to live here must i go back and post all your remarks.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
You were one of the Main ones who helped blow it out of portion you and your from from Dallas that used to live here must i go back and post all your remarks.
Please do so...

you can pull every post I have in this thread. What did I say? That people assume that ATL is the place where black people can automatically make it, yep. Did I say that Atlanta isn't the only place with Civil Rights history?, yep.

I have never made negative comment about Atlanta on this forum, but let some of you tell it I'm a certified ATL Troll who hates the place.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
1) My comment was in favor of R1070's comment. A&M's motive is obvious, why pay attention to him. I was acknowledging that I felt the same way that R1070 felt, because that is how I feel.

2)The post that you are replying to wasn't even directed to you. That was for chiatldal who replied to my comment.

3)My reply to you, was that you missed my point. Seriously, every post I make you two pick it apart and take it a completely different way.
NO sir regardless you chimed in on the outdated topic that we already discussed .Why keep talking about it you made the same points back 100 pages ago , if you know what his reason are for starting things up in the forum about Atlanta. why keep commenting about the same thing

Old 01-14-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
NO sir regardless you chimed in on the outdated topic that we already discussed .Why keep talking about it you made the same points back 100 pages ago , if you know what his reason are for starting things up in the forum about Atlanta. why keep commenting about the same thing
So, how about those Hawks? What have the Mavs been doing lately?

Old 01-14-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Please do so...

you can pull every post I have in this thread. What did I say? That people assume that ATL is the place where black people can automatically make it, yep. Did I say that Atlanta isn't the only place with Civil Rights history?, yep.

I have never made negative comment about Atlanta on this forum, but let some of you tell it I'm a certified ATL Troll who hates the place.

Yes because everywhere there is an Atlanta topic you are right to give your views on Atlanta and usually there never positive you may have a few but not usually good if its against any city from Texas.. The thing we were trying to tell you over and over again was that we know its not the only place that blacks can go to be successful. We were trying to explain too you why this black mecca thing is the way it is and why Atlanta has such and influence on African american culture!!!! But you have not gotten that yet. Nobody here said that this is the only place blacks can be successful. You guys are throwing that in there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City