U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-15-2010, 10:43 AM
 
2,531 posts, read 5,235,618 times
Reputation: 1261

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Just like it's your fault for not knowing NASA was in Texas.

You ATliens need to calm down and quit acting as if people are bashing your city. The media portrays your city as a haven for blacks or focus most of it's attention of the African American community.

I never said the city wasn't diverse, but it's hard to know this without research because every time Atlanta is in the media; it's most likely something to do with blacks. Now you can take this as either a criticism or me bashing Atlanta, but this is outsiders perspective on Atlanta.

Good Lord, I was 6 years old. I found out later on that Mission Control was in Houston when I was around 8 or 9 y/o. Get over it.

I'll stop "being sensitive" about Atlanta when you stop being "sensitive" about Texas and Houston when people bring them up and you think people are bashing them all the time or stop hijacking threads by bringing them up all the time.

Since I know that'll never happen, I'm not holding my breath...

 
Old 01-15-2010, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,259,609 times
Reputation: 7218
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Dude, the visit comment was in regards to your perceptions of the city. A visit would settle that and you wouldn't have to rely on media for your "expertise".
Omg..... Ok, your right.
 
Old 01-15-2010, 10:45 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 17,525,424 times
Reputation: 2755
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Just like it's your fault for not knowing NASA was in Texas.

You ATliens need to calm down and quit acting as if people are bashing your city. The media portrays your city as a haven for blacks or focus most of it's attention of the African American community.

I never said the city wasn't diverse, but it's hard to know this without research because every time Atlanta is in the media; it's most likely something to do with blacks. Now you can take this as either a criticism or me bashing Atlanta, but this is outsiders perspective on Atlanta.
No, it doesn't. It sounds like you might need to expand your media intake if that's your perception. There is a ton of media about/from Atlanta, and only a reasonable percentage of it is black-oriented. I hate it if this comes across to you as defensive...it's simply people trying to tell you the truth.

So now it isn't just your perspective, but the perspective of outsiders in general? It sounds like you're beginning to speak for everyone, not just for yourself.
 
Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,259,609 times
Reputation: 7218
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I'll stop "being sensitive" about Atlanta when you stop being "sensitive" about Texas and Houston when people bring them up and you think people are bashing them all the time or stop hijacking threads by bringing them up all the time.

I'm not holding my breath...
Do you have proof about me being sensitive about those places?? I only correct BS, but I have spoken many times on Houston's negatives.
 
Old 01-15-2010, 10:47 AM
 
2,531 posts, read 5,235,618 times
Reputation: 1261
Any.damn.way,


Which city has better Strip Clubs? I keed, I keed! Maybe...
 
Old 01-15-2010, 10:50 AM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,763 posts, read 11,464,447 times
Reputation: 5344
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Any.damn.way,


Which city has better Strip Clubs? I keed, I keed! Maybe...
LOL! I think we all know the answer to that...and it's scandalous!

BTW, I think you finally found the golden goose that's going to make Uncle Greg shut this thread down.
 
Old 01-15-2010, 10:51 AM
 
Location: ITP
2,133 posts, read 5,410,536 times
Reputation: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
visit?? Do ya'll even understand the discussion?? We're talking about how the media portrays Atlanta.

Don't bring up that BS about talking about the city of Atlanta, because I'm not even commenting on the city itself. I'm talking about the media surrounding Atlanta and how it appears to outsiders.

Do you ever take any type of criticism without ever thinking someone is bashing the city? Maybe this is the way we see it because we don't live in Atlanta. Lots of people talk about this in Texas and it's seen as either a negative or positive thing.
None of us are refuting the fact that Atlanta is a black mecca; rather we're arguing that Atlanta's appeal to African Americans doesn't allude to some sort of exclusivity or hostility towards non-blacks.

It seems that you and others are arguing that it's a negative for blacks to be attracted to Atlanta or that the city somehow bamboozles other African Americans into moving here out of some sort of false promise of affluence and success.
 
Old 01-15-2010, 10:55 AM
 
2,531 posts, read 5,235,618 times
Reputation: 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
LOL! I think we all know the answer to that...and it's scandalous!

BTW, I think you finally found the golden goose that's going to make Uncle Greg shut this thread down.
I hope not, but we've beaten enough dead horses and went around enough circles here, haven't we?

And yes, the answer is quite "Gold" isn't it?
 
Old 01-15-2010, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,259,609 times
Reputation: 7218
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
None of us are refuting the fact that Atlanta is a black mecca; rather we're arguing that Atlanta's appeal to African Americans doesn't allude to some sort of exclusivity or hostility towards non-blacks.

It seems that you and others are arguing that it's a negative for blacks to be attracted to Atlanta or that the city somehow bamboozles other African Americans into moving here out of some sort of false promise of affluence and success.
I never argued that, but ok.
 
Old 01-15-2010, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,791 posts, read 3,976,629 times
Reputation: 1744
You Atlantans gang up on anyone who says something negative about the city to belittle or dumb them down for thinking what they think, you are just coming off angry and defensive. If you travel outside of Atlanta people will associate Atlanta with blacks. If you do ever hear about Atlanta it is from the hip hop and R&B scene and the black films set there. Yes there may have been films made there like scream but thats not where the movie was to take place and CNN is there but it is not representing Atlanta it is just filmed there. You are acting like these people are crazy for saying the media geared toward Atlanta is African American Centric. Indeed it is. And thats fine, but the unfortunate thing is that makes Atlanta look like its not diverse to people who dont live there and have never been there. When you do visit Atlanta there is a noticibly large black population and white folks too. You dont see much in terms of asians or latinos until you get out in Cobb and Gwinnett counties which most tourists dont visit. They usually stay right in the city which isnt as diverse as the surrounding burbs. People are not crazy or making this up, if you dont live in Atlanta you wont know a lot about it and it is all about word of mouth and perception. And from my experience the perception toward Atlanta is not positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top