U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Unread 01-22-2010, 06:33 PM
 
2,530 posts, read 3,352,694 times
Reputation: 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Atlanta's black women are stright. They ain't the best looking and ain't the worst looking.
Man, where in hell were you hanging out? the only other cities I can think of that can touch Atlanta in that category would be DC or NYC. Miami and Houston have their share too.

My friend in Dallas is always lamenting about "Grove Rats" I told him to stop hanging out at Big T's, LOL.

 
Unread 01-22-2010, 06:57 PM
 
9,880 posts, read 9,100,316 times
Reputation: 1963
I think that Allen is kind of like Alpharetta.
 
Unread 01-22-2010, 10:48 PM
 
9,880 posts, read 9,100,316 times
Reputation: 1963
Marietta and Denton or McKinney
Newnan and Waxahachie?
Atlanta and Fort Worth! LOL!
 
Unread 01-22-2010, 11:43 PM
 
2,530 posts, read 3,352,694 times
Reputation: 1172
I think Plano/Allen and Alpharetta/Roswell would be a more accurate comparison.

Marietta would be part Mesquite with a bit of Garland thrown in and a taste of Sunnyvale.

I could see the Newnan/Waxahachie comparison.

Carrollton/Lewisville/Coppell could be Smyrna/Kennesaw/Acworth

I guess Cedar Hill/DeSoto is Dallas' Lithonia/Stone Mountain?

Still trying to figure out what Atlanta's Arlington/Grand Prairie or Irving would be. I'm leaning towards the Doraville/Chamblee/Brookhaven area of DeKalb being the equivalent to Irving/Valley Ranch. I guess Perimeter Center is our Las Colinas? I'm still also trying to figure out Richardson, because it could just as easily be Brookhaven/Dunwoody/Doraville/Chamblee

There's not really a Ft Worth parallel in Atlanta. DFW is a multipolar region with two dominant cities. Metro Atlanta has one dominant city.
 
Unread 01-22-2010, 11:57 PM
 
Location: Greater Houston
3,007 posts, read 5,210,225 times
Reputation: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
There's not really a Ft Worth parallel in Atlanta. DFW is a multipolar region with two dominant cities. Metro Atlanta has one dominant city.
There's Athens but it's probably as far as Houston is to Galveston.
 
Unread 01-23-2010, 12:11 AM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 3,996,102 times
Reputation: 1846
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I think Plano/Allen and Alpharetta/Roswell would be a more accurate comparison.

Marietta would be part Mesquite with a bit of Garland thrown in and a taste of Sunnyvale.

I could see the Newnan/Waxahachie comparison.

Carrollton/Lewisville/Coppell could be Smyrna/Kennesaw/Acworth

I guess Cedar Hill/DeSoto is Dallas' Lithonia/Stone Mountain?
you could say that. accept i'd probably throw a little riverdale or jonesboro in there

Quote:
Still trying to figure out what Atlanta's Arlington/Grand Prairie or Irving would be. I'm leaning towards the Doraville/Chamblee/Brookhaven area of DeKalb being the equivalent to Irving/Valley Ranch. I guess Perimeter Center is our Las Colinas? I'm still also trying to figure out Richardson, because it could just as easily be Brookhaven/Dunwoody/Doraville/Chamblee

There's not really a Ft Worth parallel in Atlanta. DFW is a multipolar region with two dominant cities. Metro Atlanta has one dominant city.
atlanta definitely doesn't have an arlington. i do think that i want to compare addison to sandy springs, though.
 
Unread 01-23-2010, 12:13 AM
 
2,246 posts, read 1,590,883 times
Reputation: 1156
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Marietta and Denton or McKinney
Newnan and Waxahachie?
Atlanta and Fort Worth! LOL!
Smyrna, 49,534 in 16 sq mi
Marietta 67,021 in 21.9 sq mi
Vinings 9,677 in 3.3 sq mi
Fair Oaks 8,443 in 2 sq mi
Mableton 29,733 in 20.8 sq mi
Total 164,408 in 64 sq mi
and
Denton 119,454, 62.3 sq mi or McKinney 121,211 58.5 sq mi

Waxahachie 28,668 41.2 sq mi
and
Newnan 33,293 19.5 sq mi

Atlanta 537,958 132.4 sq mi
Sandy Springs 82,674 39.0 sq mi
Roswell 87,657 41.95 sq mi
Alpharetta 49,903 21.4 sq mi
Belvedere Park 18,945 5.0 sq mi
Candler-McAfee 28,294 7.0 sq mi
North Decatur 15,270 5.0 sq mi
Druid Hills 12,741 5.0 sq mi
Scottdale 9,803 3.5 sq mi
Panthersville 11,791 3.7 sq mi
North Druid Hills 18,852 5.0 sq mi
North Atlanta 38,579 7.8 sq mi
Dunwoody 39,583 12.1 sq mi
Doraville 9,862 3.6 sq mi
East Point 42,940 13.8 sq mi
College Park 20,382 9.7 sq mi
Total 1,025,234 294.65 sq mi
and
FT Worth 703,073 in 298.9 sq mi

Remember the city limits sizes and annexation laws between the two states and MSAs. I added up Neighboring cities and census-designated places into a area close to match the city limits size of the city you
Chosen. Atlanta and FT Worth OK
 
Unread 01-23-2010, 07:12 AM
 
2,530 posts, read 3,352,694 times
Reputation: 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
you could say that. accept i'd probably throw a little riverdale or jonesboro in there
Lancaster and Duncanville?



Quote:
atlanta definitely doesn't have an arlington. i do think that i want to compare addison to sandy springs, though.
Earlier, I compared Sandy Springs equivalent would be Far North Dallas, but I can throw Addison in there too, because Addison is mostly commercial, but has a lot of high-density apartment/condo complexes. Sandy Springs has quite a few developments similar to this down in the Roswell Road/285 area.

Carrollton/Farmers Branch can compare to Marietta/Smyrna a bit, BUT many parts of Marietta/Smyrna are older.

I guess parts of Gwinnett could be our Arlington. Remember, Gwinnett once was the biggest county without public transportation. Arlington is one of the largest cities in the country without public transportation. These are boomburbs that seemingly grew out of nowhere. Lots of different sides to the areas, good and bad.

But Gwinnett has 800k, while Arlington is knocking on 350- 400k. And I'm comparing a county to an incorporated city, so it's not a perfect comparison at all.
 
Unread 01-23-2010, 08:13 AM
 
9,880 posts, read 9,100,316 times
Reputation: 1963
Buford and Rockwall?
 
Unread 01-23-2010, 08:22 AM
 
Location: ATLANTA
199 posts, read 212,601 times
Reputation: 96
LOL..so Best Southwest is akin to Lithonia/Stone Mountain/Riverdale/Jonesboro!?!?! Yuck...

Last edited by Dytdude; 01-23-2010 at 08:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top