U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 11:01 PM

2,390 posts, read 1,985,908 times
Does anyone in Dallas know when they will start constructing the structure of the Calatrava bridge? I thought the pieces arrived in late summer/early fall, but haven't heard anything since.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:06 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,297,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Does anyone in Dallas know when they will start constructing the structure of the Calatrava bridge? I thought the pieces arrived in late summer/early fall, but haven't heard anything since.
I think at least one of them is already under construction but I'm not sure. I live in Houston.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:10 PM

2,390 posts, read 1,985,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I think at least one of them is already under construction but I'm not sure. I live in Houston.
Ya, the pieces for the first Calatrava bridge came in but I figured we'd see it being erected by this point. I dunno. Maybe someone has some info on this.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:58 AM

7,874 posts, read 6,632,343 times
Quote:
I've lived in Atlanta and Dallas:

1)Atlanta definitely sprawls more than Dallas.
2)Dallas has a better quality of life (less bums on the street, more cultural amenities, more investment in infrastructure)
3)Atlanta has more trees and such but I think that feature makes Atlanta feel like a smaller city than it is. When you drive down 75 from Cobb you drive through a lot of areas that feel like driving through the woods.
4)Dallas feels like a much safer city to walk around and do things at night.
5)Dallas is a lot more proactive on rail transit and freeway expansion.
6)Atlanta has a much more obvious racial element.
7)Dallas is on a grid street system, very easy to navigate and traffic is not nearly as bad as Atlanta because of this.
8)Dallas has no smoking in bars! that is a huge plus!

* I dont hate Atlanta at all but Dallas is definitely the better choice if the things above are important to you as they are to me.
I understand if your preference is DALLAS.I just do not see why you think because Dallas has begun a LIGHT RAIL system 30 years after Atlanta has built if not nearly as good as a HEAVY RAIL system as Atlanta's,AND is currently ranked 7th in the US in ridership;then how can that be more "proactive"?Same is true with freeway expansion and infrastructure.Atlanta has been in the mist of a billion dollar water/sewer upgrade for at least 5 years.The 5TH,14 TH,and 17th Street Bridges were added/ or rebuilt and widened within the last 6 years.Not to mention the additional ramps added downtown.Dallas is having to spend so much because it has not kept up with the pace of its tremendous growth.Then their is the Beltline.(no need to elaborate on that).The worlds busiest airport
Atlanta is the most wired city in the nation(or at least in the top 5)constantly.
While I'm at it:I should also add that Atlanta has a higher concentration of educated adults, and lower poverty rate.How does that add up to having a "lesser quality of life"?And how can you penalize Atlanta for having more "trees" as if that were a negative thing?
Cultural amenities is a toss up.(even though I really think Atlanta has the slight edge)

Old 01-26-2010, 01:12 AM

631 posts, read 669,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I understand if your preference is DALLAS.I just do not see why you think because Dallas has begun a LIGHT RAIL system 30 years after Atlanta has built if not nearly as good as a HEAVY RAIL system as Atlanta's,AND is currently ranked 7th in the US in ridership;then how can that be more "proactive"?Same is true with freeway expansion and infrastructure.Atlanta has been in the mist of a billion dollar water/sewer upgrade for at least 5 years.The 5TH,14 TH,and 17th Street Bridges were added/ or rebuilt and widened within the last 6 years.Not to mention the additional ramps added downtown.Dallas is having to spend so much because it has not kept up with the pace of its tremendous growth.Then their is the Beltline.(no need to elaborate on that).The worlds busiest airport
Atlanta is the most wired city in the nation(or at least in the top 5)constantly.
While I'm at it:I should also add that Atlanta has a higher concentration of educated adults, and lower poverty rate.How does that add up to having a "lesser quality of life"?And how can you penalize Atlanta for having more "trees" as if that were a negative thing?
Cultural amenities is a toss up.(even though I really think Atlanta has the slight edge)
He really prefers Dallas and has made that evident throughout this thread and thats fine he is entitled to do that. But the way he belittles Atlanta is quite amusing. But he is in a better place now and thats what is most important. According to him everything is better in Dallas. But hey he is entitled too that there is nothing written in stone that it is so we are going to let him have that. So you will be wasting your time if you go back and forth with him.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Do you not have Google? You could have probably had your answer by now.
lol

Old 01-26-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Well, I dont normally do requests, but here I go!

My disclaimer is that these are all exaggerated, so you have to see through that.

I have likened the Texas cities to girls from high school:

Dallas: Dallas was the high school girl that everyone wanted to be. She was very pleasing to look at, the was the captian of the Cheerleading squad, and had guys gwaking at her at every turn. Her boyfriend was the captian of the football team. For all this, she didnt have a whole lot of substance. She would only be friends with girls she thought were worthy of her. She went to a remedial college for the purpose of finding a husband. She married an older rich guy. She is a trophy wife who values appearance over function.

Houston: Houston was the girl in high school who couldnt get a date to save her life. She unattractive and was unkept. However she had alot of substance to her and would be friends with anyone. She hung out around gothic and artsy people who felt shunned by society. She was often the subject of jokes by Dallas and Austin. She went to arts school where she continued to meet others like her. Over the years she got alot more friends and people started to see the person inside who was beautiful. She became a lesbian and lives with her partner.

Austin: Austin was the girl who thought she was different, but was really the same as everyone else. She refused to play sports or try out for cheerleading/dance because she thought she was too good for it. She told everyone how liberal, accepting, pretty, and fun she was, but never walked the walk. She tried to play off the cliches she made for herself. She had two close friends and never hung out with anyone other than them. She went to college and never married because she thought she was too good for the guys she met.

Fort Worth: Dallas' younger sister. She had a good head on her shoulders. She wasnt hot and wasnt ugly (a real 5 out of 10). She was full of substance and character. She was also laid back and not materialistic. She would often encounter Dallas and her friends who would tease, make fun of, and point out to her how she would never meet a guy who would love her. She is best girlfriends with San Antonio. She went to college and married her best friend. She lives very happily, loves her job and loves her family.

San Antonio: Like Fort Worth, San Antonio wasnt beautiful, but was attractive in a plain way. She also had substance and was very laid back. She didnt go to college, but instead spent 5 years in Mexico after High School. Like Fort Worth, she also married her best friend and lived happily ever after.

Now for some others that I cant resist making fun of:

Waco: Went to seminary and started a legal movement to ban sex after marriage because it was immoral.

Tyler/Longview: Had sex with their brothers.

El Paso: Was the ESL student no one could understand.

Amarillo: Skin was so white you would get blind looking at it.

There. Now Ive had my fun!
I especially like the El Paso reference.Its like WTF?LOL

Old 01-26-2010, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Atlanta is a very racial/racist city. I've never in my life seen the animosity between whites and blacks like I have in Atlanta. Other than that, it's a very pretty city and all, but the racial tension there is thick enough to cut with a knife.
That so silly its ridiculous!Anyone agreeing wit this is just playing favorites.Truth is most large American cities are just NOT overwhelmingly racist.So racist you can "cut with a knife".The least you could do is provide a example behind your outlandish remarks as to what gives you such an perception.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I think Plano/Allen and Alpharetta/Roswell would be a more accurate comparison.

Marietta would be part Mesquite with a bit of Garland thrown in and a taste of Sunnyvale.

I could see the Newnan/Waxahachie comparison.

Carrollton/Lewisville/Coppell could be Smyrna/Kennesaw/Acworth

I guess Cedar Hill/DeSoto is Dallas' Lithonia/Stone Mountain?

Still trying to figure out what Atlanta's Arlington/Grand Prairie or Irving would be. I'm leaning towards the Doraville/Chamblee/Brookhaven area of DeKalb being the equivalent to Irving/Valley Ranch. I guess Perimeter Center is our Las Colinas? I'm still also trying to figure out Richardson, because it could just as easily be Brookhaven/Dunwoody/Doraville/Chamblee

There's not really a Ft Worth parallel in Atlanta. DFW is a multipolar region with two dominant cities. Metro Atlanta has one dominant city.
Decatur with less diversity seems like it could be Fort Worth.( a stretch,but possibly)

Old 01-26-2010, 03:21 AM

Quote:
I have heard people refer to the black population in Dallas as "country" but I have met a lot of blacks here from all over the country and they seem to be very well educated great people. Maybe its the "locals" in parts of town I havent ventured to that are the country folk?
It maybe because of idiots like this who represent Dallas even when they go other places:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMjIvXrWeDk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City