Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 01:17 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,922,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
First of all the city of Atlanta doesn’t promote itself as a “Black city”

2nd
The Black Mecca thing is a nick name that come from Atlanta having the 2nd largest black population, Atlanta’s Black population Vs. other cities black population, not how much Blacks dominate Atlanta over other racial background. Whites are the majority and Blacks in Metro Atlanta are demographically minorities dude, but it’s literally New York 1st, Atlanta 2nd, then Chicago 3rd in black population now. Everything your saying is bull because Dallas, Houston, Miami, Los Angles and New York and a few other cities are known for Latin culture and they're seen as Latino cities to Latinos and I’m not one bit discourage to going to these places with knowing that. Atlanta, Chicago, New York and DC are few of the cities that are seen as Black cities to blacks because they have a large population but your discourage is by this? What? what if Portland, Oregon was cool because its a "White City" people do see Portland as a white city welcome to planet earth.

3rd

Polycentrism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is what you should be prompting but not

Ethnocentrism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is what your thinking is going on but not

Xenocentrism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is what your prompting
I agree. I was defending Miami before, but now I must say, Miami promotes it's self as a LATINO city, LA is seen as predominantly Latino, and somewhat(NOT ALOT) promotes it'self as such. Then WHY, WHY, WHY, is it when ATL, CHI, DC, etc is seen as a black/african-american city, people get offended? Double Standard perhaps?

Old 02-07-2010, 01:23 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
First of all the city of Atlanta doesn’t promote itself as a “Black city”

2nd
The Black Mecca thing is a nick name that come from Atlanta having the 2nd largest black population, Atlanta’s Black population Vs. other cities black population, not how much Blacks dominate Atlanta over other racial background. Whites are the majority and Blacks in Metro Atlanta are demographically minorities dude, but it’s literally New York 1st, Atlanta 2nd, then Chicago 3rd in black population now. Everything your saying is bull because Dallas, Houston, Miami, Los Angles and New York and a few other cities are known for Latin culture and they're seen as Latino cities to Latinos and I’m not one bit discourage to going to these places with knowing that. Atlanta, Chicago, New York and DC are few of the cities that are seen as Black cities to blacks because they have a large population but your discourage is by this? What? what if Portland, Oregon was cool because its a "White City" people do see Portland as a white city welcome to planet earth.

3rd

Polycentrism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is what you should be prompting but not

Ethnocentrism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is what your thinking is going on but not

Xenocentrism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is what your prompting
That's great and all, but nothing your saying is going to change people's perceptions of Atlanta. Majority of what is portrayed in the media revolving around Atlanta is black-centric; it could be either a bad or a good thing.

You can't argue with that because that's just how it is. America has had the Black Mecca stuff pushed down their throats about Atlanta that many people in this country do believe Atlanta lacks other minority groups outside of the African American race.

Sorry, but Houston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Miami, and New York are known for more than just a city for Latinos. Each having strong history citing around other minority groups.

You think all of this "Pro Black" image that people keep throwing at Atlanta is crazy because you live there; just like I think it's crazy when people say Houston is boring or lacks attractions. However, I know that these type of things are due to the lack of media or false advertising. No need to get worked up over it; life goes on.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:27 AM

123 posts, read 300,595 times
Dallas is a great city. However I like Atlanta a bit better. I have lived in both cities. Yes dallas has a much better and much cleaner downtown. Actually the skyline in Dallas looks better also. I am almost pretty sure that Dallas downtown district is safer than Atlanta downtown district. Still in all I like Atlanta alot better. There is more culture there. Alot more to do. Better restaurants(my opinion). Better biking trails and outdoorsy stuff to do. I love the fact that I can purchase 3br 3ba townhome in Atlanta in a great neighborhood less than 200K. Atlanta has a much better collegetown feel to it. Nice parks. More pet friendly. Not to mention Atlanta is the Nyc & L.A. of the south!

Old 02-07-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug76 View Post
Dallas is a great city. However I like Atlanta a bit better. I have lived in both cities. Yes dallas has a much better and much cleaner downtown. Actually the skyline in Dallas looks better also. I am almost pretty sure that Dallas downtown district is safer than Atlanta downtown district. Still in all I like Atlanta alot better. There is more culture there. Alot more to do. Better restaurants(my opinion). Better biking trails and outdoorsy stuff to do. I love the fact that I can purchase 3br 3ba townhome in Atlanta in a great neighborhood less than 200K. Atlanta has a much better collegetown feel to it. Nice parks. More pet friendly. Not to mention Atlanta is the Nyc & L.A. of the south!
How is that possible??? NYC and LA are completely different.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
That's great and all, but nothing your saying is going to change people's perceptions of Atlanta. Majority of what is portrayed in the media revolving around Atlanta is black-centric; it could be either a bad or a good thing.

You can't argue with that because that's just how it is. America has had the Black Mecca stuff pushed down their throats about Atlanta that many people in this country do believe Atlanta lacks other minority groups outside of the African American race.

Sorry, but Houston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Miami, and New York are known for more than just a city for Latinos. Each having strong history citing around other minority groups.

You think all of this "Pro Black" image that people keep throwing at Atlanta is crazy because you live there; just like I think it's crazy when people say Houston is boring or lacks attractions. However, I know that these type of things are due to the lack of media or false advertising. No need to get worked up over it; life goes on.
I feel you on this, BUT don't we as Texans constantly try to disprove these stereotypes, the same way he's doing?

Old 02-07-2010, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug76 View Post
I'd give that to Miami. ATL is the NYC, Miami is definitely the LA.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:38 AM

And NYC and LA are VASTLY different.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I feel you on this, BUT don't we as Texans constantly try to disprove these stereotypes, the same way he's doing?
I never said we didn't, but the thing is this has nothing necessarily to do with Atlanta itself pushing out that image, but the media. He's acting as if were blaming Atlanta for it; when in reality it is channels like BET that keeps that Pro Black or Black Power image in our heads.

Someone can come and visit Houston and say it's boring. I actually agreed with someone because Houston isn't a tourist type of city. However, I also knew it was the lack of media attention towards Houston or shining light on the attractions scattered around the Houston metropolitan area.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I never said we didn't, but the thing is this has nothing necessarily to do with Atlanta itself pushing out that image, but the media. He's acting as if were blaming Atlanta for it; when in reality it is channels like BET that keeps that Pro Black or Black Power image in our heads.

Someone can come and visit Houston and say it's boring. I actually agreed with someone because Houston isn't a tourist type of city. However, I also knew it was the lack of media attention towards Houston or shining light on the attractions scattered around the Houston metropolitan area.
Indeed.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:11 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,785,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
No, I actually agree with you. Everywhere in the world has forms of segregation that just how humans and animals are. But I guess what irks me about Atlanta is the promotion as a "Black City". The point I was making is Dallas doesnt say its a "Latino City" which creates a more inviting environment for all races. If you dont live in Atlanta and you hear "Atlantas a black city" how open and accepting of an image does that make it seem to other races? I just find that to be racist. What if Portland, Oregon was cool because its a "White City" I would find that offensive as well.
What official slogan,have you ever heard of Atlanta as a "black city".You have never heard the Mayor or city council member say that.Apparently white people are moving to Atlanta in droves too,So if anybody was turned off then perhaps they have to work that out in their minds.I as a black male can tell you that throughout my life it is often made known to me in one way or another that I am not welcome.If I did not know my history and my sense of belonging I would have allowed those people have what they wanted.
You know as well as a I do is that the meaning by in which people use that slogan is mAINLY because of its past as the "City to Busy to Hate" as coined by fmr Mayor Hartsfield who in deed was white.The slogan most often heard is "black mecca",not black cities which are 2 different meanings.
Mecca def,-(as it is used outside of religious meaning),Any place considered to be a very important place to visit by people with a particular interest;

If any place can be considered a "mecca" in that meaning,then its definately Atlanta. Atlanta is ground zero as the center for Civil Rights.It is the city that birth the leader of the movement that made blacks (and white) realize that we too should have rights for the country we have lived and died defending since Crispus Attucks..

For years black people have been coming to Atlanta to not only visit the King Center but before King was born,came to attend the school where WEB Dubois taught,or when Booker T Washington gave the most important speech ever by a black man to a predominately white audience.

Dallas(more so Houston) is a "Latino Mecca".I think if I put it to a poll most would agree without question.The difference is that black in this country means Africans with roots in only Africa.Blacks in this country are the ONLY ones that use that word to denote that America is our cultural and literal home.The roots were planted here in the beginning.The blacks in Canada or Britain,France are more commonly reffered to as Afro-Carib or African.Blacks were not in England,France or Germany like they were in birth of the U.S.How likely is England with all its diversity among races likely to have a Black prime Minister or a Black Princess or Prince? today.

Thats why I said you are stuck on titles and slogans more than reality.The reality is that this country was built to be for and to the advantage of Europeans.As humans and science have evolved to be more knowledgeable and thoughtful,the ideals have become more inclusive.Yet no matter how much we grow and learn,it is the simplest of man kinds nature to put more weight on all 5 senses individually other than used all together to come up with "common sense".America is a white mecca?Is that racist?By YOUR standard yes.I agree.But I would not stop there.America is also spectacular,forgiving,arrogant,innovative,unique,e tc....

Last edited by afonega1; 02-07-2010 at 02:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City