Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 03:32 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,821,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
That sucks. He lost the cool points lol.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:35 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,793,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
That sucks. He lost the cool points lol.
LOL "Now you know everything is brighter and greener in the ATL"

Old 12-17-2009, 03:40 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,440,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Michael Baisden is interesting to listen to depending on what the topic is.
He's on now.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:42 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,793,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
He's on now.
Yes "Grown Folks Radio"

Old 12-17-2009, 03:48 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,412,718 times
Quote:
That's my biggest gripe about Atlanta. Everything tends to be spaced out. Sure they have some dense areas, but most of the area is spread out and mixed in well with wooded areas. The way the roads and highways are set up it can give you the feeling that you're in the middle of nowhere when you're actually not.
I actually think that is a matter of perception. Atlanta (the city and the whole metro) often gives you the feeling you're in the woods or in a very low density area when you're not. Atlanta actually has greater density than Dallas or Denver for instance but driving around Denver often felt like it was overall denser than Atlanta.

Much of this has to do with how incredibly wooded Atlanta is. It full of dense very tall trees that obstruct your view many of the places you go. In Denver I could often see the skyline and spread out urban buildup at distances from town it would be very difficult to see downtown Atlanta from.

Also Atlanta reminds me of Boston in that it is full of narrow winding roads. Both Boston and Atlanta have a very old style layout. Towns out west like Denver and Dallas tend to have straight Boulevards in a grid pattern that are wide.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Yes "Grown Folks Radio"
body shout outs, pole dancing, sexual liberation........ hmm

Old 12-17-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I actually think that is a matter of perception. Atlanta (the city and the whole metro) often gives you the feeling you're in the woods or in a very low density area when you're not. Atlanta actually has greater density than Dallas or Denver for instance but driving around Denver often felt like it was overall denser than Atlanta.
Average density or urban density? If we go by the average population density formula, Atlanta would be denser than New Orleans.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:55 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,726,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post

Much of this has to do with how incredibly wooded Atlanta is. It full of dense very tall trees that obstruct your view many of the places you go. In Denver I could often see the skyline and spread out urban buildup at distances from town it would be very difficult to see downtown Atlanta from.

Also Atlanta reminds me of Boston in that it is full of narrow winding roads. Both Boston and Atlanta have a very old style layout. Towns out west like Denver and Dallas tend to have straight Boulevards in a grid pattern that are wide.
Excellent post.

And don't forget that Atlanta is very hilly, much more than Dallas. Population density statistics don't reflect that. If a metro area is 3,000 square miles and has a population of 3 million, on paper it doesn't seem as densely developed as a metro area of 3 million in 2,000 square miles. But that doesn't take into consideration the topography of an area.

Where Atlanta is relatively flat, it's very densely populated. In areas where Atlanta is hilly, it's not. Frankly, I think it's one of the reasons I like Atlanta so much; all those hills make it a lot more interesting than miles upon miles of flat prairie.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:55 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,225,370 times
Quote:
body shout outs, pole dancing, sexual liberation........ hmm
I think he's stopped talking about going to swingers clubs lately.

I'm no uptight prude by any means, but even I thought that was a bit much to talk about on the radio. I was curious though, they have a big swingers club here in Atlanta. Or so I've heard...*looks around* Does Dallas have one ?

Last edited by grindin; 12-17-2009 at 04:03 PM..

Old 12-17-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Excellent post.

And don't forget that Atlanta is very hilly, much more than Dallas. Population density statistics don't reflect that. If a metro area is 3,000 square miles and has a population of 3 million, on paper it doesn't seem as densely developed as a metro area of 3 million in 2,000 square miles. But that doesn't take into consideration the topography of an area.

Where Atlanta is relatively flat, it's very densely populated. In areas where Atlanta is hilly, it's not. Frankly, I think it's one of the reasons I like Atlanta so much; all those hills make it a lot more interesting than miles upon miles of flat prairie.
Density stats also don't reflect how much of the city is inhabited or inhabitable. If you have a city of 400,000 where the entire populations is crammed into 1/3 of the city vs a city of 400,000 more evenly spread people, the stats will say that the 2nd city is denser when obviously it isn't. Same in a city that has a large boundary. Even though the city may have plenty of open land, the people still may live closer together in the inhabited areas than in a smaller city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City