U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 06:49 AM

9,909 posts, read 9,756,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlock2513 View Post
I'd rather live in Atlanta than Dallas.....Atlanta seems to have much more life at night than Dallas can dream of...
Never been to Uptown, Knox-Henderson, Lower Greenville, or Oaklawn have you?

Im not saying Dallas has a better nightlife, but as someone who has partyed hard in both cities, I would call it a tie. Atlanta does have better hip-hop clubs and Dallas has better electronic/techno and dance clubs.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
You love to leave out the large African American population that Dallas has as if it doesnt exist. You do realize Dallas is still a top 5 destination for African Americans to live and work. White culture is the most dominant culture in DFW. Most of DFW suburbs are overwhelmingly white. Most of the political power in DFW is still controlled by blacks and whites. Long time DFW residents will tell you that. Hispanic numbers and influence is at all time high. Within the next 20 years if current growth continues they will make up the majority of DFW population. Politically it still remains to be seen just how much of a force the hispanic community will be. There are plenty of examples across the country where being the majority does not necessary means more power or influence. Forest Hill, Texas is a perfect example of a majority black community that has elected a white mayor for years. Another example is Compton, California a city that is majority hispanic but the majority of the elected officals are African American.
The African-American in DFW is stagnant and the city of Dallas is actually losing African-Americans by the truckload. In their place, come twice as many hispanics. Over 80% of DFW's growth is Hispanic.

I wouldnt call African-American culture dead in Dallas, but Dallas is going through what LA went through in the early 90's. African-Americans are leaving the city of Dallas and fleeing to other suburbs outside the city. In their place, people from Mexico and El Salvador are coming in.

Atlanta is an African-American super Mecca. Its the place to be (along with DC) for middle/upper class African Americans. Dallas just cant compete on that level. Comparing Atlanta's Black community to Dallas is like comparing Dallas' Hispanic community to Atlanta.

You do raise a good point about the people who run the cities. Gardena, California used to be a city where all the Japanese came to in the LA area. Now, almost no Japanese live there, yet the city council and mayor are still Japanese. You still see that trend in Texas.

Another funny thing is that DFW is gaing more Asians than either white or black new residents. DFW is at a point no one 20 years ago thought it would be at.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Soul View Post
Atlanta does have a racial tension. Just go to the Atlanta thread and you will see every thread change into a black and white issue.
I wouldnt call Atlanta a hotbed of racism, but race and issues relating to race seem to play a larger role in the community than it does in Dallas.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:10 AM

12,455 posts, read 17,926,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Soul View Post
Atlanta does have a racial tension. Just go to the Atlanta thread and you will see every thread change into a black and white issue.
Don't make the mistake of confusing the posts of a few malcontents on this forum with the hearts and minds of an entire city.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:35 AM

745 posts, read 991,404 times
I voted for Atlanta for the sole reason that I dont like the cowboys. LOLOL

Falcons all day

Old 12-15-2009, 07:56 AM

9,112 posts, read 20,406,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Don't make the mistake of confusing the posts of a few malcontents on this forum with the hearts and minds of an entire city.
Agreed. Someone earlier mentioned that "whites can handle" in a city that is run by a predominately black government. Well, Atlanta has had a predominately black government for what - 30 years? Yet, there are whites here, and as a matter of fact, the number of whites moving to Atlanta has been outnumbering blacks 2-to-1 for some time. I would doubt if all whites are afraid of black government this would be the case.

Yes, racism exists (on both sides), which showed a bit during the recent Mayoral election when it appears most white voters voted for the white candidate, and black voters voted for the black candidate. The white candidate lost by less than 800 votes, which also highlights the changing demographic of the area, too. It's still the "deep south" even though it's a metropolitan and diverse area - there still is some underlying racial tension here. But it's also not the stereotype of men in white robes marching through Atlanta's downtown that oddly some people still think happens, either.

I've known a couple of folks who lived in Dallas and have not heard of any tensions in that area beyond typical political squabbling. A common complaint however is in some areas a lack of trees - as though if they want to build a house there they cut everything green down on a full acre to do it. While here, they will try at least in many spots to preserve trees in a new development (most times).

Old 12-15-2009, 08:04 AM

15,832 posts, read 18,424,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
The African-American in DFW is stagnant and the city of Dallas is actually losing African-Americans by the truckload. In their place, come twice as many hispanics. Over 80% of DFW's growth is Hispanic.

I wouldnt call African-American culture dead in Dallas, but Dallas is going through what LA went through in the early 90's. African-Americans are leaving the city of Dallas and fleeing to other suburbs outside the city. In their place, people from Mexico and El Salvador are coming in.

Atlanta is an African-American super Mecca. Its the place to be (along with DC) for middle/upper class African Americans. Dallas just cant compete on that level. Comparing Atlanta's Black community to Dallas is like comparing Dallas' Hispanic community to Atlanta.

You do raise a good point about the people who run the cities. Gardena, California used to be a city where all the Japanese came to in the LA area. Now, almost no Japanese live there, yet the city council and mayor are still Japanese. You still see that trend in Texas.

Another funny thing is that DFW is gaing more Asians than either white or black new residents. DFW is at a point no one 20 years ago thought it would be at.
Not really; Dallas is close to reaching 900k blacks within the metro area. It's not like Dallas is Seattle or Portland. Dallas has a very vibrant black community and big enough one to make an impact on the black community in America.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:41 AM

3,555 posts, read 3,942,157 times
Somebody just kill this thread now. Seriously!!!!

Old 12-15-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Not really; Dallas is close to reaching 900k blacks within the metro area. It's not like Dallas is Seattle or Portland. Dallas has a very vibrant black community and big enough one to make an impact on the black community in America.
Dallas does have a very vibrant black community. I in no way meant to imply that it didnt. But DFW's black population growth seems to be at a standstill:

http://www.dallas-ecodev.org/images/dallas_data/oed_fact/OED_Demographics.pdf (broken link)

Old 12-15-2009, 09:04 AM

218 posts, read 225,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Which city is better when it comes to things to do, culture, affordablity, jobs, and good lifestyle?
I've only spent a short amount of time in Dallas, but based on that time I feel the cities have a similar vibes in the areas mentioned. That probably contributes to the poll being at 50/50 at this moment.

One difference though: I have never felt heat as unbearable as it was when *I* was in Dallas. You can pull out all of the the weather stats in the world; it won't change the difference I felt.

I like both cities! (so I won't vote and break the tie)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City