U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 12:15 PM

9,910 posts, read 9,749,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Dallas has hit number 1# in crime per capita a year in this decade Atlanta has not, Dallas has got better but over all Atlanta was safer.
Thats not the way it is now:

Atlanta is the 18th most dangerous city in the US.
Dallas is the 47th most dangerous city in the US.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2009...9_Rank_Rev.pdf

Old 12-20-2009, 12:22 PM

3,555 posts, read 3,939,852 times
Fort Worth is 150th most dangerous cities. Pretty good

Old 12-20-2009, 12:23 PM

2,390 posts, read 1,986,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Thats not the way it is now:

Atlanta is the 18th most dangerous city in the US.
Dallas is the 47th most dangerous city in the US.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2009...9_Rank_Rev.pdf
Dallas is the 2nd highest crime rate for cities over 1 million, after San Antonio. but there are not very many cities that large in the U.S.

Overall, the crime rate in Dallas isnt as high as a lot of other cities in this country. And even if it is, the perception that its safer is pretty high here.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:32 PM

1,366 posts, read 1,429,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
We been though this already and someone even came with a US census link. Dallas with out FT worth, a Metro Dallas would be a million people less than Metro Atlanta. Only Dallas and FT Worth together in a metroplex is larger Than metro Atlanta, with out FT Worth NO.

The thing that irritates me with this argument is this. If you want to compare city to city that's fine, or if you prefer MSA to MSA that's fine too. But you can't just cut part of one MSA off cause it has a 2 large cities in its metro. It's all or none, point blank. For ease of argument's sake why does everyone not just assume when were talking Dallas we mean Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington/Plano/Richardson/Denton metro. It's not like people are on here sayin "Well, if Atlanta didn't have all those unincorporated towns it wouldn't be as big." Well that's pretty obvious. And choosing not to believe they're one metro is just ignorant.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:35 PM

3,555 posts, read 3,939,852 times
I am one of those individuals that feel that poverty equals a high crime rate. "Its just like a child who is craving for a Hershey bar. He has no money to buy a hershey bar. He really wants this hershey bar so his only alternative is to steal the hershey bar. Imagine being out on the street hungry and don't have a dime in your pocket are you gone starve to death or are you gone sale drugs to feed yourself. People make the statement get a job that simple. Its not that simple for many americans and if people concentrated on finding ways to help people gain some stabilty in there very lives than crime overall will decline.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:45 PM
JJG

9,502 posts, read 9,121,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Fort Worth is 150th most dangerous cities. Pretty good
Yeah. Just too bad for Dallas that that has nothing to do with them....

Just jawin' folks.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:50 PM

15,832 posts, read 18,414,882 times
I see it like this based on the people I've met from each of these cities. Blacks from Dallas are more loud, blunt, laid-back and more sociable than people from Atlanta (this is why you'll hear people call Dallas country). From lots (not all) of the people that I've met from Atlanta; they were more chill, less sociable and more distant (kind of similar to black Houstonians). I agree with Kdogg because that's how people from Atlanta really are.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:51 PM

8,190 posts, read 5,704,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Every huge city has bad neighborhoods. It is just more in your face in Atlanta. You just dont see this nearly as often in Dallas. In Atlanta you have to go all they up to Buckhead to have the same feeling you would in areas near Downtown Dallas such as Uptown and East Dallas and feel very safe walking at night and such. There is nowhere in the main areas of Dallas that is anything like Five Points in Atlanta or that area behind the Peachtree/Pine shelter. If these areas exist they are off the beaten path and do not affect tourism and business as it does in Atlanta. You people act like i'm just making this up to be argumentative. When outsiders where polled in Atlanta by the Chamber of Commerce this was their top complaint. This is simply not as much of an issue in Dallas. Sorry to tell you.
This is true, but there doesn't appear to be any sort of after-hours activity in downtown Dallas. It seems that the after-hours activity is confined to certain other nodes and neighborhoods and not downtown.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:53 PM

8,190 posts, read 5,704,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I see it like this based on the people I've met from each of these cities. Blacks from Dallas are more loud, blunt, laid-back and more sociable than people from Atlanta (this is why you'll hear people call Dallas country). From lots (not all) of the people that I've met from Atlanta; they were more chill, less sociable and more distant (kind of similar to black Houstonians). I agree with Kdogg because that's how people from Atlanta really are.
I've actually found native Atlantans and those who were mostly raised in the area to be quite friendly and down to earth. Of course, it seems pretty rare that I run across them in the first place, LOL.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:54 PM

7,732 posts, read 6,715,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I agree with Kdogg because that's how people from Atlanta really are.
Just curious, but exactly what part of what he said are you agreeing with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City