U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-20-2009, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Funky Town, Texas
4,000 posts, read 6,922,636 times
Reputation: 1932

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Like it or not, the area is called Metro Dallas because Dallas is the chief primary city in that metro. Fort Worth is not a suburb but it is the secondary city in that metro. Fort Worth is basically the town while Dallas is basically the city in the metroplex. I do understand both arguments. But most people will continue to call the entire area Dallas because Dallas is the dominate city in that region. Does it make it right? Don't know but it is what it is. Besides, many suburbs in Tarrant owe their existence to Dallas moreso than Fort Worth. Same with most if not all of Denton County. Dallas pull is much more evident and broad than Fort Worth's.
I disagree 100% and no Fort Worth native would agree with such nonsense. How do you call the 17th largest city in the U.S. a town. Please have you looked at Fort Worth growth since 2000. Than you have the audacity to call Fort Worth a secondary city but yet the airport is called DFW. It has out grew Dallas by a larger margin every single year . Dallas don't own North Texas. I get so sick of some Dallasites feeling that they can add Fort Worth to the equation anytime they want and than dog it out at the same time calling it a country cowtown. Fort Worth Tarrant County is booming and Dallas ain't booming. As far as I am concern Dallas should be thankful for Fort Worth because it would not have the same clout without it.

 
Old 12-20-2009, 07:00 PM
 
2,531 posts, read 5,321,556 times
Reputation: 1263
"Real Housewives of Atlanta" is HARDLY representative of the city of Atlanta itself. One radio DJ here jokingly refers to it as "Real Housewives Of Duluth" Most of the cast members on the show live in suburban Duluth or Johns Creek. No respectable "Buckhead Betty" or "Donna Dunwoody" in their rght mind would go on that show.

All these crazy stereotypes of Atlanta. SMH. Dallas is often stereotyped as being superficial, materialistic, home of the "30K millionaire", overly conservative, and racist. Of course, I know these stereotypes are not true.
 
Old 12-20-2009, 07:45 PM
 
4,229 posts, read 4,115,677 times
Reputation: 3185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Like it or not, the area is called Metro Dallas because Dallas is the chief primary city in that metro. Fort Worth is not a suburb but it is the secondary city in that metro. Fort Worth is basically the town while Dallas is basically the city in the metroplex. I do understand both arguments. But most people will continue to call the entire area Dallas because Dallas is the dominate city in that region. Does it make it right? Don't know but it is what it is. Besides, many suburbs in Tarrant owe their existence to Dallas moreso than Fort Worth. Same with most if not all of Denton County. Dallas pull is much more evident and broad than Fort Worth's.
You like or not it's call DFW Dallas Fort Worth or the metroplex not Metro Dallas that don't exist people who said that are either ignorant or Dallasite that are trying to dis Fort Worthians. there is no CHEIF PRIMARY CITY in a METROPLEX it's A METROPLEX! Dallas is just the largest one of TWO cities of the DFW metroplex you can't compare Denton to Fort Worth! Denton is a suburb!!! Fort Worth is not! and calling the area Dallas Metro is ignorant and reguardless of how much Dallas is bigger than Fort Worth it's a CITY that contribute to region again it's on pare with Austin, Nashville and Charlotte!

Quote:
but for sake of argument when people say Dallas they mean DFW metro. Otherwise we'd be having to credit a plethora of cities in the metro all day long
Out side Dallas and FT Worth those are suburbs not cities they are like cities edge cities, FT Worth is not an edge city. As much as yall trying to make Dallas the solo face of a Metroplex it's not. Dallas don't mean DFW Dallas Fort Worth mean DFW that not alot, other wise would we be calling the region D Metro

Quote:
but Dallas is only that big because Fort Worth is part of the metro too
that not what I'm saying
Im saying that the region is only that big because it's Two cities Fort Worth is not part of Dallas to even make Dallas bigger it part of Dallas Fort Worth and yall trying to use Fort Worth like a suburb that Dallas made. Again what will happen if there was a battle between Seattle and FT Worth, can Fort Worthians say Fort Worth is 6.3 mil? oronly Dallas can use the metroplex, what can FT Worth say to other major cities? this got to be good
 
Old 12-20-2009, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,209 posts, read 25,902,249 times
Reputation: 8963
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I disagree 100% and no Fort Worth native would agree with such nonsense. How do you call the 17th largest city in the U.S. a town. Please have you looked at Fort Worth growth since 2000. Than you have the audacity to call Fort Worth a secondary city but yet the airport is called DFW. It has out grew Dallas by a larger margin every single year . Dallas don't own North Texas. I get so sick of some Dallasites feeling that they can add Fort Worth to the equation anytime they want and than dog it out at the same time calling it a country cowtown. Fort Worth Tarrant County is booming and Dallas ain't booming. As far as I am concern Dallas should be thankful for Fort Worth because it would not have the same clout without it.
1. You misunderstood what I meant when I say town. Dallas is seen as the BIG CITY in the region. Not only do outsiders consider it the Big City of the Metroplex, but so do other Texans. Not Dallas fault nor is it Fort Worth fault. The same city-town concept is used in the Bay Area as well. San Francisco is known as the city and Oakland is known as the town. Bay Area folks will tell you this.

2. It is the secondary city of the Metroplex. Dallas is the primary city. It's by far the largest city with the largest transportation network with the largest GDP. It also has the largest economy in the region and has more fortune 500 companies as well. Calling Fort Worth the secondary city in the region is no diss to Fort Worth. But it simply is second to Fort Worth in just about everything to Dallas in the region. When people fly to DFW, they just simply say they are flying to Dallas. It's the most known city in the region. Not Dallas fault that Fort Worth does not market it's name.

3. To say Dallas is not booming shows that you are disregarding the amount of development ongoing in Uptown, Downtown, various neighborhoods around new DART stations, and more. Fort Worth's growing population, while great, is mostly suburban growth while Dallas is way more urban than Fort Worth and becoming more dense than Fort Worth. Fort Worth is doing what Dallas did 40 years ago and Fort Worth will slow down once they run out of room which is inevitable.

I'm not dissing Fort Worth at all. I have no reason to. But just like Minneapolis, San Francisco, Seattle, and Miami, Dallas is seen as the primary and by far the most important and popular city of the region and this is why you will here it being called Metro Dallas. Again, that's not Dallas fault. Blame your own city for putting it's name out there.
 
Old 12-20-2009, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,209 posts, read 25,902,249 times
Reputation: 8963
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
You like or not it's call DFW Dallas Fort Worth or the metroplex not Metro Dallas that don't exist people who said that are either ignorant or Dallasite that are trying to dis Fort Worthians. there is no CHEIF PRIMARY CITY in a METROPLEX it's A METROPLEX! Dallas is just the largest one of TWO cities of the DFW metroplex you can't compare Denton to Fort Worth! Denton is a suburb!!! Fort Worth is not! and calling the area Dallas Metro is ignorant and reguardless of how much Dallas is bigger than Fort Worth it's a CITY that contribute to region again it's on pare with Austin, Nashville and Charlotte!

I know what it's called. But you misunderstood my point. If you ask most Joe's from another region especially overseas that they live in Fort Worth or are going to Fort Worth, they will look at you with a blank stare. For example, Fort Worth is practically unknown here in DC. Hell, people will say "oh that's by Dallas, right?" It is what it is. Even most people on here will call it metro Dallas. It is because of familiarity and the fact that Fort Worth is simply unknown. I never called Fort Worth a suburb. Copy and paste where I did. I called TARRANT county a suburb. As it is mostly suburban.'

And when did I compare Denton to Fort Worth. You took that entire comment out of context and you're putting words in my mouth. I said Dallas has more pull in the metro than Fort Worth does and it's true as Denton County is in the Dallas-Irving-Plano PMSA and Denton County is right above Tarrant County.
 
Old 12-20-2009, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 11,765,771 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I know what it's called. But you misunderstood my point. If you ask most Joe's from another region especially overseas that they live in Fort Worth or are going to Fort Worth, they will look at you with a blank stare. For example, Fort Worth is practically unknown here in DC. Hell, people will say "oh that's by Dallas, right?" It is what it is. Even most people on here will call it metro Dallas. It is because of familiarity and the fact that Fort Worth is simply unknown. I never called Fort Worth a suburb. Copy and paste where I did. I called TARRANT county a suburb. As it is mostly suburban.'

And when did I compare Denton to Fort Worth. You took that entire comment out of context and you're putting words in my mouth. I said Dallas has more pull in the metro than Fort Worth does and it's true as Denton County is in the Dallas-Irving-Plano PMSA and Denton County is right above Tarrant County.
This is absolutely true. All over the country, "Dallas" basically translates into the entire Metroplex for just about everyone. It is what it is.

It certainly takes nothing away from Ft. Worth at all. Most average Americans don't know much about geography.
 
Old 12-20-2009, 09:05 PM
 
4,229 posts, read 4,115,677 times
Reputation: 3185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I know what it's called. But you misunderstood my point. If you ask most Joe's from another region especially overseas that they live in Fort Worth or are going to Fort Worth, they will look at you with a blank stare. For example, Fort Worth is practically unknown here in DC. Hell, people will say "oh that's by Dallas, right?" It is what it is. Even most people on here will call it metro Dallas. It is because of familiarity and the fact that Fort Worth is simply unknown. I never called Fort Worth a suburb. Copy and paste where I did. I called TARRANT county a suburb. As it is mostly suburban.'

And when did I compare Denton to Fort Worth. You took that entire comment out of context and you're putting words in my mouth. I said Dallas has more pull in the metro than Fort Worth does and it's true as Denton County is in the Dallas-Irving-Plano PMSA and Denton County is right above Tarrant County.
!m getting a kick out of how your trying to put a major US City in the closet and trying to make Dallas look better. And your right on point there two type of people that call the region Dallas Metro big head Dallasites and people who are ignorant about Fort worth, Again I'm a ex Fort Worth resident I stayed there for a few years and they didn't call the region Metro Dallas but the DFW metroplex.

the top 4 counties
Dallas county 2,366,511
Tarrant County 1,717,435
Collin County 762,010
Denton County is 612,357
You can't accept there are two core counties and two major cities as long as your calling it Metro Dallas your calling FT Worth a suburb everything else is a straw man. Reguardless of how much more people Recongnize Dallas and it's a larger city, Dosen't change the fact that FT Worth is a city up to pare with Austin, Charlotte and etc. Again, can Fort Worthian say there metro is 6.3 mil! if there was a Seattle vs FT Worth thread?
 
Old 12-20-2009, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,784,428 times
Reputation: 7238
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
!m getting a kick out of how your trying to put a major US City in the closet and trying to make Dallas look better. And your right on point there two type of people that call the region Dallas Metro big head Dallasites and people who are ignorant about Fort worth, Again I'm a ex Fort Worth resident I stayed there for a few years and they didn't call the region Metro Dallas but the DFW metroplex.

the top 4 counties
Dallas county 2,366,511
Tarrant County 1,717,435
Collin County 762,010
Denton County is 612,357
You can't accept there are two core counties and two major cities as long as your calling it Metro Dallas your calling FT Worth a suburb everything else is a straw man. Reguardless of how much more people Recongnize Dallas and it's a larger city, Dosen't change the fact that FT Worth is a city up to pare with Austin, Charlotte and etc. Again, can Fort Worthian say there metro is 6.3 mil! if there was a Seattle vs FT Worth thread?
Yes because it's part of metro area of 6.3 million people.
 
Old 12-20-2009, 09:31 PM
 
4,229 posts, read 4,115,677 times
Reputation: 3185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yes because it's part of metro area of 6.3 million people.
so FT Worth is bigger than seattle huh? it's 6.3 mil
 
Old 12-20-2009, 09:32 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 8,872,651 times
Reputation: 1398
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
!m getting a kick out of how your trying to put a major US City in the closet and trying to make Dallas look better. And your right on point there two type of people that call the region Dallas Metro big head Dallasites and people who are ignorant about Fort worth, Again I'm a ex Fort Worth resident I stayed there for a few years and they didn't call the region Metro Dallas but the DFW metroplex.

the top 4 counties
Dallas county 2,366,511
Tarrant County 1,717,435
Collin County 762,010
Denton County is 612,357
You can't accept there are two core counties and two major cities as long as your calling it Metro Dallas your calling FT Worth a suburb everything else is a straw man. Reguardless of how much more people Recongnize Dallas and it's a larger city, Dosen't change the fact that FT Worth is a city up to pare with Austin, Charlotte and etc. Again, can Fort Worthian say there metro is 6.3 mil! if there was a Seattle vs FT Worth thread?
The horse is dead..

Metro Atlanta -> 5 Mil
DFW Metroplex -> 6 Mil
Dallas Metro Div. -> 4 Mil
Ft. Worth Metro Div -> 2 Mil?

He's right though. Dallas and Ft Worth maybe 2 core cities in the Dallas area, but outside of Texas the average person is going to think of that area as simply Dallas or not care to begin with. Just like the average person not from Atlanta is more than likely going to think of Cobb, Gwinnett, Clayton, Douglass, DeKalb, etc. as all Atlanta. That's with any city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top