Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 10:30 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Many people I know that come in from out of town make remarks about whether or not they're in the city yet when they drive into Atlanta due to how the freeways are developed around here. Also, if you go to Washington, DC and drive the infamous Capital Beltway in many parts, you really can't tell that you're passing through a major metropolitan area besides the traffic.

I think one of the biggest differences is that Texas LOVES Frontage roads
. I made a remark in another thread that Dallas and Houston's development and sprawl is more "in your face" than Atlanta's mainly due to the frontage roads. One of the first impressions many people have of a city is what they see on the freeways. It's unfair, but it is what it is I guess. I remember passing through Chicago on the Dan Ryan Expwy and thought I wouldn't like Chicago (give me a break, I was a teenager at the time), but I was gladly proven wrong.

People seem to harp on Dallas and Houston for being "uglier" than Atlanta, but I've always said that Atlanta hides their sprawl behind trees and hills and we're really not that much different when it comes to "ugliness" and sprawl compared to DFW and Houston.

The only stretch of freeway here in ATL that I can think of that has similar frontage roads to Texas is that stretch of I-85 from North Druid Hills Road out to Jimmy Carter Blvd. When you drive up past Spaghetti Junction into Gwinnett County, that is the only part that I could say was similar to a Texas freeway, and compared to many parts of DFW and Houston, it really doesn't look quite as developed. Peachtree Industrial Blvd is another example.

Just my .02
Agreed.
It also, I think, Depends on what you're used to. I'm used to constant development along the highway so Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi cities look normal to me. I'm sure if I grew up in Atlanta then, GA, AL, SC, NC highways would look normal to me.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:38 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Agreed.
It also, I think, Depends on what you're used to. I'm used to constant development along the highway so Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi cities look normal to me. I'm sure if I grew up in Atlanta then, GA, AL, SC, NC highways would look normal to me.
I grew up in San Diego and Mississippi, so when I first moved to Mississippi and visited Texas and Louisiana, the look was different to me. Not bad or good, just different. San Diego has development on the sides of their freeways, but it's actually more "Atlanta-like" in style in many parts. Many parts of SD pass through hills and canyons, so there are some pretty rural looking stretches of highway in the heart of the city.

LA freeways are developed more in the style of what you'd see in Houston or Dallas to an extent.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:02 AM

631 posts, read 1,228,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Trash talking????

The majority of ATLiens have been disagreeing with you and chiatl on this debate. This is an argument your obviously losing and your just upset; it's OK. What IF.....it doesn't matter; your adding another MSA to Atlanta's MSA. Just let it go.
Lol lol I'm upset on a forum lol

Old 12-21-2009, 11:12 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Umm.. That was an outside of the loop shot of Houston and the view of Dallas started off in a very undeveloped area before becoming urban. All Houston freeways look like this, suburban or not. I couldn't find a good suburban Dallas freeway.

Don't blame me.. blame the way Atlanta was developed. AGENDA:smack, I voted for Atlanta, but I have an agenda.

Even an in-perimeter shot of Atlanta would be, you guessed it: PINE TREES, PINES TREES, PINE TREES, SOUND WALL, OCCASIONAL BUILDING, until you get downtown.
Now see If I posted all downtown videos it still wouldn't be fair because you would say "well Atlanta is hilly, or Atlanta has so many trees. Y'all kill me with this defensiveness for no reason crap.

Does this make you feel better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6jCtXvceeI

^Well look at that. It looks almost the same except you can see a skyline.

Here's an even further out suburban Houston scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6MjxRd3z-I
First of all, get over yourself. I could care less if you voted for Atlanta or not.

However, there is a constant subtle put-down theme to almost all of your posts when it comes to anything relating to Atlanta. I call this an agenda. You can call it whatever you choose.

You have made it very clear that you prefer concrete, access roads and visual blight along freeways. So be it. We'll continue to enjoy living in our "City in a forest," thank you very much.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
First of all, get over yourself. I could care less if you voted for Atlanta or not.

However, there is a constant subtle put-down theme to almost all of your posts when it comes to anything relating to Atlanta. I call this an agenda. You can call it whatever you choose.
No, you get over yourself.
I don't put Atlanta down anymore than the Atlantans on this forum put it up. Everything that I post about Atlanta is my Opinion unless I post pictures or other sources to back up my claim. My opinion is not the law. Just because I don't praise Atlanta does not mean I'm putting it down. It's even crazier that even if others agree with me, including people from Atlanta, the same 4 or 5 Atlanta posters will claim I'm bashing Atlanta.

The whole theme throughout this thread is that everyone wants to bash Atlanta and as soon as that argument turns flawed it turns into well it's not fair.. blah blah blaaaah blah. If you go back and read this post had plenty of positive conversation about Atlanta when the "old regulars" from ATL weren't here to boost it up.

Quote:
You have made it very clear that you prefer concrete, access roads and visual blight along freeways. So be it. We'll continue to enjoy living in our "City in a forest," thank you very much.
Once again, nobody said that anything was wrong with your "City in a forest". I mean I did say "to each their own". If I preferred to live in that environment, I'm quite sure I would live in Atlanta or Charlotte.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:40 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
No, you get over yourself.
I don't put Atlanta down anymore than the Atlantans on this forum put it up. Everything that I post about Atlanta is my Opinion unless I post pictures or other sources to back up my claim. My opinion is not the law. Just because I don't praise Atlanta does not mean I'm putting it down. It's even crazier that even if others agree with me, including people from Atlanta, the same 4 or 5 Atlanta posters will claim I'm bashing Atlanta.

The whole theme throughout this thread is that everyone wants to bash Atlanta and as soon as that argument turns flawed it turns into well it's not fair.. blah blah blaaaah blah. If you go back and read this post had plenty of positive conversation about Atlanta when the "old regulars" from ATL weren't here to boost it up.

Once again, nobody said that anything was wrong with your "City in a forest". I mean I did say "to each their own". If I preferred to live in that environment, I'm quite sure I would live in Atlanta or Charlotte.
Blah, blah, blah, blah. We are obviously looking at entirely different threads. Whatever.

Care to point out to me anywhere in this entire thread where I have pulled the "it's not fair" crap? Don't include me in with that bunch, as I am NOT 18 and have no issue with the size of DFW - with or without Ft. Worth.

I stand by my point that you have an obvious chip on your shoulder when it comes to Atlanta. This is my opinion, also not the law. Your comments and remarks notwithstanding, due to your posts in this and other threads, I won't be changing my mind.

You may be able to fool a lot of people here, but I'm not one of them.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:40 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
Lol lol I'm upset on a forum lol
Admitting your problem is a first good step.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Blah, blah, blah, blah. We are obviously looking at entirely different threads. Whatever.

Care to point out to me anywhere in this entire thread where I have pulled the "it's not fair" crap? Don't include me in with that bunch, as I am NOT 18 and have no issue with the size of DFW - with or without Ft. Worth.

I stand by my point that you have an obvious chip on your shoulder when it comes to Atlanta. This is my opinion, also not the law. Your comments and remarks notwithstanding, due to your posts in this and other threads, I won't be changing my mind.

You may be able to fool a lot of people here, but I'm not one of them.
I didn't say you said that either.

I don't have a chip when it comes to Atlanta, I have a chip with people making something out to be more than it is (no matter what or were it is.)

Hey, that's your opinion .

Old 12-21-2009, 11:52 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times

Old 12-21-2009, 12:11 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
You like or not it's call DFW Dallas Fort Worth or the metroplex not Metro Dallas that don't exist people who said that are either ignorant or Dallasite that are trying to dis Fort Worthians. there is no CHEIF PRIMARY CITY in a METROPLEX it's A METROPLEX! Dallas is just the largest one of TWO cities of the DFW metroplex you can't compare Denton to Fort Worth! Denton is a suburb!!! Fort Worth is not! and calling the area Dallas Metro is ignorant and reguardless of how much Dallas is bigger than Fort Worth it's a CITY that contribute to region again it's on pare with Austin, Nashville and Charlotte!

Out side Dallas and FT Worth those are suburbs not cities they are like cities edge cities, FT Worth is not an edge city. As much as yall trying to make Dallas the solo face of a Metroplex it's not. Dallas don't mean DFW Dallas Fort Worth mean DFW that not alot, other wise would we be calling the region D Metro

that not what I'm saying
Im saying that the region is only that big because it's Two cities Fort Worth is not part of Dallas to even make Dallas bigger it part of Dallas Fort Worth and yall trying to use Fort Worth like a suburb that Dallas made. Again what will happen if there was a battle between Seattle and FT Worth, can Fort Worthians say Fort Worth is 6.3 mil? oronly Dallas can use the metroplex, what can FT Worth say to other major cities? this got to be good
You are splitting hairs here. I'm not sure who is trying to discredit Ft. Worth and only use it when it's convenient, but for the sake of this topic since the original topic is "Dallas vs. Atlanta" we have been saying Dallas, where it should be understood that means Dallas, Fort Worth and every other place in between. Dallas and Fort Worth are part of the same metro so if we are going to compare Atlanta (MSA) to Dallas (MSA) then Fort Worth is part of that equation plain and simple. Otherwise we can only compare city limits, so if the OP would like to choose then do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City