Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 06:08 PM

965 posts, read 1,884,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Jasper and Vidor are a good 6 or 7 hour drive from Dallas. In most places, they would be in two different states. I think the poster was just wanted to bash Texas and throughout two towns who are known for being racist. I've never heard anyone describe Dallas as racist. All the Latinos and Asians who are flooding into the region don't seem to think so.
1) Asians are often stereotyped as being a "model-minority" and are pretty high on the racial totem pole in many areas, so their presence doesn't unnerve most people.

2) while there is a growing anti-Latin sentiment in many areas due to the issues of illegal immigration (which is unfair to the Latinos that were actually born in this country), they're more often tolerated because peope think of them as "cheap labor that do the jobs that Americans won't do"

3) The black population of Dallas is stagnant or declining depending on what source you read. Hmmm, I wonder why

Next...

Old 01-05-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Dallas is the opposite of what you are describing. Ive never heard about Dallas in those terms. Especially since Dallas isnt conservative. Statistically its the 32nd most liberal city in the US. It also votes democrat pretty often and is a gay friendly place.
Yes, but you're describing the city itself, not the surrounding metropolitan area, which is closer to the truth than most people care to admit.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:18 PM

Any excuse to justify you're own bigoted attitudes! :rollseyes: That seems to be quite popular to point out what "the blacks" do by the peope who aspire t turn this site into "stormfront lite."

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Thats ok, Atlanta has racism against whites and hispanics.
City Hall had a huge painting when you first walked in and it said "Its ok to hate white people". This last mayoral election it came down to a white candidate vs a black candidate, the black voters who supported the white candidate were being harassed and the white candidate had to have Atlanta police keep an eye on things. Also, the prominent black colleges in Atlanta had professors send out mass marketing against having a white mayor. If you research legal records/cases, there are current and recent lawsuits of white govt employees being fired in certain areas because they didnt fit the culture and black employees replaced them. All of this is within the last year. The mayor of Atlanta also went to a convention in DC for mayors of rapidly gentrifying cities and she spoke of how upsetting it was that Atlanta may have a white majority if trends continue. This is disgraceful and embarassing. I ran from Atlanta as fast as I could! White people are not the only racists and I was made very aware of this when I moved to Atlanta. The racial tensions in Atlanta are caused by blacks and white struggling for power, the blacks do tend to have more pull there and it bothers the white people. If you go into the Atlanta forum almost every topic turns into black vs white. I couldnt stand it anymore. I am glad to live somewhere now that lets people be whatever they want and not look at the color of someones skin as is done in the southeast.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:37 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
Quote:
Thats ok, Atlanta has racism against whites and hispanics.

Quote:
City Hall had a huge painting when you first walked in and it said "Its ok to hate white people".
Perhaps you should actually do a little research on this subject. It was a political piece of art....not meant to be taken literally. It also didn't say "it is ok to hate white people", it said "Politically, it's ok to hate the white man." If you took a second, you'd understand the deeper meaning behind that statement. If you can't, then read the words of Alvaro Alvillar, the man who made the piece of art here:

Big Hollywood » Blog Archive » ‘POLITICALLY ITS OK TO HATE THE WHITE MAN’

Quote:
This last mayoral election it came down to a white candidate vs a black candidate, the black voters who supported the white candidate were being harassed and the white candidate had to have Atlanta police keep an eye on things.
That was nothing more than nonsense. No one was ever under serious threat and it was mostly Norwood supporters whining. I say whining since having a yard sign stolen isn't "intimidation".

Quote:
Also, the prominent black colleges in Atlanta had professors send out mass marketing against having a white mayor.
It was two professors working on their own, not a paper endorsed by the AUC.

Was Atlanta's 'black mayor first' memo racist - or just blunt? / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

Quote:
If you research legal records/cases, there are current and recent lawsuits of white govt employees being fired in certain areas because they didnt fit the culture and black employees replaced them. All of this is within the last year. The mayor of Atlanta also went to a convention in DC for mayors of rapidly gentrifying cities and she spoke of how upsetting it was that Atlanta may have a white majority if trends continue. This is disgraceful and embarassing. I ran from Atlanta as fast as I could! White people are not the only racists and I was made very aware of this when I moved to Atlanta. The racial tensions in Atlanta are caused by blacks and white struggling for power, the blacks do tend to have more pull there and it bothers the white people. If you go into the Atlanta forum almost every topic turns into black vs white. I couldnt stand it anymore. I am glad to live somewhere now that lets people be whatever they want and not look at the color of someones skin as is done in the southeast.
As for the rest of this paranoid rant, all I can say is "Glad you left Atlanta!"

Old 01-05-2010, 06:38 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
1) Asians are often stereotyped as being a "model-minority" and are pretty high on the racial totem pole in many areas, so their presence doesn't unnerve most people.

2) while there is a growing anti-Latin sentiment in many areas due to the issues of illegal immigration (which is unfair to the Latinos that were actually born in this country), they're more often tolerated because peope think of them as "cheap labor that do the jobs that Americans won't do"

3) The black population of Dallas is stagnant or declining depending on what source you read. Hmmm, I wonder why

Next...
To the same degree the, white population is almost as stagnant.

In a 5 year time frame, DFW is projected to get 603,000 new residents. Of those, only 37,000 are projected to be white. The projections show more new Asian residents than that.

Another thing is DFW is becoming less white faster than any other Metro area in the US:

CSAs by Non-Hispanic Whites as a Percentage of the Total Population, 2008
Minneapolis-St Paul-St Cloud, MN-WI 82.4%...2,935,653
Boston-Manchester-Nashua, MA-RI-NH 79.5%...6,003,963
Cleveland-Akron-Elyria, OH 76.2%...2,202,548
Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia, WA 73.2%...2,994,406
Detroit-Warren-Flint, MI 70.0%...3,751,117
Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD 67.7%...4,332,178
Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ 58.6%...2,510,423
Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI 56.4%...5,531,148
Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV 55.6%...4,616,198
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL 54.0%...3,091,629
New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA 53.6%...11,875,453
San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA 50.6%...1,520,331
Dallas-Ft Worth, TX 50.5%...3,551,117
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA 45.5%...3,351,099
Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX 42.6%...2,484,336
Miami-Ft Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL 37.7%...2,044,501
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA 34.9%...6,218,518

Here's 2007 again for comparison's sake
(Non Hispanic) White Population, 2007
New York 11,833,581...53% of total population
Los Angeles 6,270,784...35% of total population
Boston 6,010,426...80% of total population
Chicago 5,540,307...56% of total population
Washington DC 4,621,574...56% of total population
Philadelphia 4,352,021...68% of total population
Detroit 3,792,716...70% of total population
Dallas 3,517,567...54% of total population
San Francisco 3,342,077...46% of total population
Atlanta 3,066,245...54% of total population
Houston 2,474,677...43% of total population
Miami 2,065,413...38% of total population

If you will note from the table DFW went from being 54% white to 50.5% white in only one year. Thats a huge decrease.

DFW Metropolitan Area Demographics

Old 01-05-2010, 06:51 PM

One more thing:

Quote:
No but I dont think other cultures feel the same way about it as blacks do and they tend to stay away from areas such as Atlantic Station or people that comment about Lenox Square being "Ghetto".

Courtesy of Galounger from a thread in the Atlanta forum (check out that post for what Atlantic Station is really like)

Old 01-05-2010, 06:52 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times
I am too and thanks for the confirmation. People there make excuses for this behavior which is completely sickening . Anyone whos says there are not racial issues across the board in Atlanta are lying. I have heard that " its not racism its just a discussion" bull. Whatever someone wants to call it, its inappropriate. Having political propaganda such as that "hate white people" has no place in a city govt building and it looks a bit fishy when that city hall is predominantly African American, I'm sure if the tables were turned the discussion would be going a little differently. And thanks for calling my statement a "paranoid rant" yes, I made all of that stuff up, none of it took place. It is all paranoia. Each thing I mentioned you can google and find info about. I guess since its negative press on Atlanta you guys will just dismiss it as paranoia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

Perhaps you should actually do a little research on this subject. It was a political piece of art....not meant to be taken literally. It also didn't say "it is ok to hate white people", it said "Politically, it's ok to hate the white man." If you took a second, you'd understand the deeper meaning behind that statement. If you can't, then read the words of Alvaro Alvillar, the man who made the piece of art here:

Big Hollywood » Blog Archive » ‘POLITICALLY ITS OK TO HATE THE WHITE MAN’

That was nothing more than nonsense. No one was ever under serious threat and it was mostly Norwood supporters whining. I say whining since having a yard sign stolen isn't "intimidation".

It was two professors working on their own, not a paper endorsed by the AUC.

Was Atlanta's 'black mayor first' memo racist - or just blunt? / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

As for the rest of this paranoid rant, all I can say is "Glad you left Atlanta!"

Old 01-05-2010, 06:57 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,607,837 times
Hey, I got a great discussion idea, let's discuss which city is more racist Atlanta or Dallas Seriously, it's probably best if we just move on to a different and less heated issue unless we just want this thread closed. This all started when one blanket statement was made by a jilted forumer and people are feeding into it. Don't give him/her what he/she wants. Let it die.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Well i'm glad to see overweight people feel comfortable in Atlantic Station too! lol

Ignore list time!

Old 01-05-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
Hey, I got a great discussion idea, let's discuss which city is more racist Atlanta or Dallas Seriously, it's probably best if we just move on to a different and less heated issue unless we just want this thread closed. This all started when one blanket statement was made by a jilted forumer and people are feeding into it. Don't give him/her what he/she wants. Let it die.
I agree. Without a doubt, both Dallas and Atlanta are pretty progressive when it comes "race relations".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City