U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 12:29 AM

3,012 posts, read 5,081,671 times

Advertisements

Even as a nyer i have to say that list is bogus. LA is a top five world city period
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 12:45 AM
TT1

149 posts, read 375,087 times
LA is OK, but it's several classes below NYC.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:45 AM

13,965 posts, read 21,494,288 times
That list is sketchy.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:20 AM

334 posts, read 904,977 times
Im curious what criteria this list used to determine the rank of each city.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:37 AM

13,965 posts, read 21,494,288 times
Is Chicago and Toronto REALLY that far ahead of LA. I doubt that. This list looks fishy. Is ATL really in the same block as LA?

Old 12-18-2009, 04:44 AM

305 posts, read 654,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
LA has had far more growth in the past 80 years than NYC has. If this trend continues, there will be a point in time when LA surpasses NYC in population and economic output. Probably not by 2050, but very possibly by 2100. This is analagous to NYC eventually passing Philly as the #1 place in America back in the 1800s. Times change.

NYC gets props for being #1 at the present, but LA is #2 with a bullet, and should not be overlooked or belittled like I'm seeing.

PS. before anyone jumps down my throat, I like both for different reasons, and am viewing this from a 3rd person perspective.
Co-sign on this. As a matter of fact, I posted up some evidence of L.A. gaining momentum to NYC or even outright passing NYC in certain urban arenas in the other L.A. vs. NYC thread that got locked.

And that was just the 2000's. No telling what's going to happen in the 2010's. I will say that L.A. will "arrive" in the 2020's, the 2030's at the most.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:44 AM

8,190 posts, read 11,546,928 times
LA is very different from NYC, and I like that.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:04 AM

9,190 posts, read 29,146,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
This thread most likely won't even last much longer.
http://bestsmileys.com/signs5/14.gif (broken link)

Even though the "NY vs LA" thing has been done to death in the past in different variations, I'm leaving this as-is so far, because everyone's being relatively nice (well, compared to what normally happens in here). Let's make a note though - no more NY comparisons to LA threads for a while, ok?

Thanks

Old 12-18-2009, 10:01 AM

5,209 posts, read 6,841,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

Even though the "NY vs LA" thing has been done to death in the past in different variations, I'm leaving this as-is so far, because everyone's being relatively nice (well, compared to what normally happens in here). Let's make a note though - no more NY comparisons to LA threads for a while, ok?

Thanks
Sure thing, Thanks.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:01 AM

305 posts, read 654,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tutti-frutti View Post
Then read on, GaWC - Research Network

GAWC is a research network consisting of scientists from universities and research institutes from many continents and countries so it offers somewhat comprehensive, global outlook.
You can go go the website to find out about criteria used but generally there are five, business engagement, political engagement, cultural exchange, human potential, information exchange.

Foreign Policy magazine, Foreign Policy: The 2008 Global Cities Index published in Washington DC, offers a similar list but offers more details. You can see how LA scores against New York and other global cities. Yes, LA is in the top 10 nevertheless not on the same level as New York. Of course you can disagree with any of those rankings nevertheless there is no ranking that I am aware of that places Los Angeles above or on the same level as new York. New York is usually considered a top global city, offering the most comprehensive urban experience. Maybe you guys should do some reading about New York City?

Take a look to know what made LA score below New York:
Since you constantly quote this list, I want you to defend it as I think it is a bit flaky.

What constitutes "cultural experience"? Per the definition of the ones who have conducted this survey and of your own definition. Better yet, definite all of those categories and why you think the cities who have ranked high in that spot and why L.A. is lacking in it.

We can have a civil discussion on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or