U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:58 PM

9,129 posts, read 21,709,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
GA GA GOO GOO Santa,I am just a little kiddy. I am offended by you calling us little kiddies,as we are adults.
Shhhhhh... don't fidget or I'll have to put more Vodka in your sippy-cup to calm you down! Roll with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 11:13 PM

9,258 posts, read 11,859,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
The holiday season doesn't just revolve around December 25th, remember.

Well yeah, actually it does. Christmas is why all those people are running around out there spending money and why Michigan Ave. and State St. are all lit up. The other holidays are minor and the most important of them, Thanksgiving, is long over.

Elvis's Birthday is coming up though.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:31 PM

13,339 posts, read 13,516,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I'm not a practicing Christian but I say "Merry Christmas" because I resent that a religious holiday has been transformed into a secular buying frenzy. I suppose that saying "Merry Christmas" is my way of protesting corporate culture.

If we are celebrating something other than Christmas then we need a proper name for whatever it is we're celebrating. Like "Happy Spend Your Money Day". Or "Happy Don't Offend Any Potential Customers Day".
That's deep.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I think retail employees shouldn't HAVE to say happy holidays like some companys require. It's a fact that the large majority of the us celebrates Christmas, which means the large majority of retail coustomers celebrate Christmas. So since most of the people who support a store celebrate Christmas they should say merry Christmas. And merry Christmas is a positive gesture whether you celebrate it or not, it's simply saying have a good day, I don't get offended when people say happy honuka to me on honuka. No ones trying to convert anyone, were simply just trying to celebrate our holiday like everyother holiday. Just because a small fraction of people in the us don't celebrate Christmas doesn't mean we should stop celebrating OUR biggest holiday to the full extent.
Exactly.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:33 PM

2,778 posts, read 5,476,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Well yeah, actually it does. Christmas is why all those people are running around out there spending money and why Michigan Ave. and State St. are all lit up. The other holidays are minor and the most important of them, Thanksgiving, is long over.

Elvis's Birthday is coming up though.
I agree. Jewish holidays, although no less valid, are held entirely within the community. The only Muslim holiday around this time is Ramadan and Eid, and that's almost two months finished by the time December 1st arrives. Even Chanukah is moving backwards. Next year it finishes December 5th, I believe.

And even then, it's Christmas that has the traditions of even having a "holiday season": stores lit up, streets decorated, lights and that godawful music.

I hate the holiday season as much as any other single girl, but I'm hard pressed to think of any real reason why it isn't the Christmas season. It's the only holiday to actually popularize the mannerisms and behavior observed after Thanksgiving and before the 25th.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
The holiday season doesn't just revolve around December 25th, remember. We have Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, New Years, among others spread out over 2+ months.

In Atlanta we don't have tightly clumped neighborhoods of predominately similar nationalities like NYC, Chicago, or Toronto do. Folks are more mixed here into various neighborhoods. We have no little Italy or Chinatown, etc., but there are some neighborhoods where you do find more folks of a particular type than others. Around the top-side "Perimeter Mall" area for example, you're much more likely to have Jewish customers than you are Arbor Place mall on the more blue collar West metro side, etc.

So personally, for me, "Happy Holidays" isn't so much about political correctness, it's just about saving time and clumping it all into one greeting with the idea of, "Pick yours out and that's what I meant".
Why can't one, just say both. If you're Jewish and I say Merry Christmas, just reply to me with Happy Hanukkah. Or if you're an Atheist, and I tell you Merry Christmas, just reply with Happy Holidays.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:37 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,828,154 times
Quote:
The holiday season doesn't just revolve around December 25th, remember. We have Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, New Years, among others spread out over 2+ months.

In Atlanta we don't have tightly clumped neighborhoods of predominately similar nationalities like NYC, Chicago, or Toronto do. Folks are more mixed here into various neighborhoods. We have no little Italy or Chinatown, etc., but there are some neighborhoods where you do find more folks of a particular type than others. Around the top-side "Perimeter Mall" area for example, you're much more likely to have Jewish customers than you are Arbor Place mall on the more blue collar West metro side, etc.

So personally, for me, "Happy Holidays" isn't so much about political correctness, it's just about saving time and clumping it all into one greeting with the idea of, "Pick yours out and that's what I meant".
I get what your saying, and i agree that saying happy holidays is a easy way to clump all the holidays together to greet people during this time of the year. But i don't think its right that some companies forbid their employees to say merry Christmas to their customers. Even though over 75% of the customers celebrate Christmas... It doesnt matter if some people don't celebrate Christmas, saying merry Christmas around Christmas time shouldn't offend anyone.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:15 AM

3,773 posts, read 6,987,248 times
Next we are going to being hearing "Happy Larry Csonka Day", it is just a matter of time.One of the greatest fullbacks ever born on Dec. 25th,but hardly comparable to Christ. But hey he will just get clumped in there with the rest of the holidays.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:08 AM

12,876 posts, read 19,571,159 times
Quote:
Shhhhhh... don't fidget or I'll have to put more Vodka in your sippy-cup to calm you down! Roll with it.
I always knew you'd make a great dad, AG.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:43 AM

4,214 posts, read 6,169,054 times
With only a week to go, I expect to hear "Merry Christmas" almost exclusively around here.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City