U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which skyline is more appealing to you?
Nashville 90 59.21%
Louisville 62 40.79%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-23-2009, 12:44 AM
 
Location: Ohio
904 posts, read 923,649 times
Reputation: 1107
I went with Louisville. For me, I think the Louisville skyline looks great from all angles. Nashville's skyline is only appealing to me from certain angles. On some angles it just looks really boring and not very big (for a "skyline").

Also, for anyone who cares, here's what Louisville's skyline will look like in a year or two. Well, I don't know when the new skyscraper will be finished, but the new downtown arena (on very far left) opens Fall of 2010. Here's the link: http://www.propertysource.com/contro...ena%20text.JPG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2009, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
1,988 posts, read 4,548,619 times
Reputation: 595
I chose Louisville for the height (from pictures). Nashville's "batman building" gets honorable mention IMO because I think the design is cool and whenever I see it I know it is a picture of Nashville. Only the domed building does that for me for Louisville but it is much less unique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2009, 06:21 AM
 
9,018 posts, read 21,152,849 times
Reputation: 5794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
I chose Louisville for the height (from pictures). Nashville's "batman building" gets honorable mention IMO because I think the design is cool and whenever I see it I know it is a picture of Nashville. Only the domed building does that for me for Louisville but it is much less unique.
Louisville's skyline does not have more height than Nashville's.

Downtown Nashville's 10 tallest buildings and their height:
  1. AT&T Building - 188m
  2. Fifth Third Center - 149m
  3. Snodgrass Tower - 138m
  4. The Pinnacle - 127m
  5. L&C Tower - 125m
  6. Nashville CityCenter - 123m
  7. James K. Polk Building - 119m
  8. Renaissance Nashville - 117m
  9. Viridian - 115m
  10. One Nashville Place - 109m
    TOTAL - 1310m

Downtown Louisville's 10 tallest buildings and their height:
  1. Aegon Center - 167m
  2. National City Tower - 156m
  3. PNC Plaza - 128m
  4. Humana Building - 127m
  5. B&W Tower - 111m
  6. Meidinger Tower - 111m
  7. Waterfront Plaza 1 - 104m
  8. Waterfront Plaza 2 - 104m
  9. E ON US Center - 100m
  10. Galt House - 99m
    TOTAL - 1207m

In addition, the 25 tallest buildings in Nashville are all taller than 60m (about 200 feet). Louisville has 19 buildings taller than 60m.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2009, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Ohio
904 posts, read 923,649 times
Reputation: 1107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Louisville's skyline does not have more height than Nashville's.

Downtown Nashville's 10 tallest buildings and their height:
  1. AT&T Building - 188m
  2. Fifth Third Center - 149m
  3. Snodgrass Tower - 138m
  4. The Pinnacle - 127m
  5. L&C Tower - 125m
  6. Nashville CityCenter - 123m
  7. James K. Polk Building - 119m
  8. Renaissance Nashville - 117m
  9. Viridian - 115m
  10. One Nashville Place - 109m
    TOTAL - 1310m

Downtown Louisville's 10 tallest buildings and their height:
  1. Aegon Center - 167m
  2. National City Tower - 156m
  3. PNC Plaza - 128m
  4. Humana Building - 127m
  5. B&W Tower - 111m
  6. Meidinger Tower - 111m
  7. Waterfront Plaza 1 - 104m
  8. Waterfront Plaza 2 - 104m
  9. E ON US Center - 100m
  10. Galt House - 99m
    TOTAL - 1207m

In addition, the 25 tallest buildings in Nashville are all taller than 60m (about 200 feet). Louisville has 19 buildings taller than 60m.
I'm not doubting your numbers at all, but for some reason Louisville's does seem taller in the pictures, which is why I voted for Louisville. Interesting though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2009, 09:30 AM
 
9,018 posts, read 21,152,849 times
Reputation: 5794
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I'm not doubting your numbers at all, but for some reason Louisville's does seem taller in the pictures, which is why I voted for Louisville. Interesting though.
I think it's because downtown Nashville is very hilly, and Nashville's tallest building is at the bottom of the hill towards the riverfront while shorter buildings are uphill and appear taller from a distance. In the end this makes Nashville's skyline look as if most of the high-rises are about the same height without any one building dominating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2009, 04:27 PM
 
Location: (Lyndon) Louisville KY USA
5,642 posts, read 12,677,931 times
Reputation: 3603
Nashville's is better from a distance but I like the way Louisville's is so dense along the river front - it has a less impressive feel coming from the south and west.

L'ville from the south



From the north (best view)



From the west



From the east

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2009, 09:32 PM
 
9,018 posts, read 21,152,849 times
Reputation: 5794
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Nashville's is better from a distance but I like the way Louisville's is so dense along the river front - it has a less impressive feel coming from the south and west.

L'ville from the south



From the north (best view)



From the west



From the east
I like those pics, particularly the first one. It reminds me a lot of the Memphis skyline (although I like Louisville's better). Still, I think Louisville and Memphis have a lot more in common than Louisville and Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2009, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Blue Ash, Ohio (Cincinnati)
2,794 posts, read 3,381,748 times
Reputation: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I went with Louisville. For me, I think the Louisville skyline looks great from all angles. Nashville's skyline is only appealing to me from certain angles. On some angles it just looks really boring and not very big (for a "skyline").

Also, for anyone who cares, here's what Louisville's skyline will look like in a year or two. Well, I don't know when the new skyscraper will be finished, but the new downtown arena (on very far left) opens Fall of 2010. Here's the link: http://www.propertysource.com/contro...ena%20text.JPG

I do not know if Museum Plaza is going to get built. It has been stalled out for about two years. Anyway, that thing is ugly and would put a huge damper on Louisville's skyline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2009, 09:23 PM
 
Location: San Diego, Ca
740 posts, read 1,019,533 times
Reputation: 561
Louisville's is much better. Nashville looks great at a distance but is dirty/old up close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2009, 12:02 AM
 
4,471 posts, read 4,743,041 times
Reputation: 1096
I like the density of Louisville although Nashville has some nice archtiecture. I agree with a poster in that Louisville appears to be taller. This basically a battle of the villes. Bring on Jockson in Florida and the battle is really going. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top