Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 12:31 AM

517 posts, read 1,313,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Wait your colleague just said "Cal"? I'm sorry but I've never heard of "Cal" either but then you say Cal-Berkeley then I was like "ah." So just to be devil's advocate someone who isn't from the Bay area isn't going to know what "Cal" is.
It's a pretty well known fact through out the nation that Cal stands for University of California Berkeley, it's not some secret lingo we use in the Bay Area. Not sure if you are into college football but when the play they are simply referred to as "Cal" on a national level.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 04:48 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,753,377 times
Washington, DC
Los Angeles (away from the beach and ghetto communities, but many of the surrounding suburbs are more laid-back)
Seattle (haven't been there and would love to visit, but have met enough people from there to think that perhaps it really is that snobby)

And, for two surprises:
Louisville, KY (although much of the city west of Bardstown Rd. has more down-to-earth folks)
Lexington, KY (spend a week there and see what I mean)

Old 12-23-2009, 07:54 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,208,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
It's a pretty well known fact through out the nation that Cal stands for University of California Berkeley, it's not some secret lingo we use in the Bay Area. Not sure if you are into college football but when the play they are simply referred to as "Cal" on a national level.

No don't follow football. I know there's a big college in Berkeley, CA but the nickname is new to me. What else can I say? I learned something new.

My point was that someone never hearing of Cal is not a sign of east coast elitism. It may mean that the person isn't into college football or doesn't keep up with lingo.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:57 AM

23,319 posts, read 43,781,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
No don't follow football. I know there's a big college in Berkeley, CA but the nickname is new to me. What else can I say? I learned something new.

My point was that someone never hearing of Cal is not a sign of east coast elitism. It may mean that the person isn't into college football or doesn't keep up with lingo.
I only know because my (CA-born) DH walks around with a Cal ball cap on most weekends.
Oh, well, at least he doesn't wear it backwards.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:32 PM

133 posts, read 417,904 times
Las Vegas (Henderson area) , although it's all an act because most people that are actually from there pretend to be rich and from SOcal when their houses are all rentals and they wear discounted Affliction attire from the strip lol.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:40 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,848,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dance_or_REBEL View Post
Las Vegas (Henderson area) , although it's all an act because most people that are actually from there pretend to be rich and from SOcal when their houses are all rentals and they wear discounted Affliction attire from the strip lol.

Which is surprising, because Henderson is middle class. When I looked into buying a house in Las Vegas metro area, Seven Hills and especially Lake Las Vegas seemed to be the most expensive area of the metro.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:17 AM

11 posts, read 10,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Manhattan takes the cake. Too many plutocrats with time to kill and money to burn. A good deal of the snobby socalites in Manhattan are not even from manhattan, some not even from the US. Most native new yorkers are a lot more down to earth, blunt, and "in your face". You just have to go to brooklyn, staten island, and queens... places they have been pushed out to. working-lower class in its roots. Kind of like putting lipstick on a pig.
Like Kanye West who left Chicago for Manhattan? I don't think Manhattan is snobby, I think it is refined.
Why does it matter where people are from? Are we supposed to ignore Sting just because he is not a native New Yorker?

Like I said I think Manhattan is not as snobby as it is refined and cultured.
You want real snobbery go to suburbs and smaller cities (like Chicago) where the nuveau-riche show off their Mercedes, Bimmers and manicured lawns...

I don't have a problem with the socialites and the rich and famous living their livestyles. That's not snobbery, they live the lifestyle they can afford but can't stand the snobby *******s pretending they are somthing they are not. Ask anybody in the service industry, the rich and famous act well and tip well, you get most s..t from those who are not used to people serving them and have to show off their importance all the time...

Last edited by response; 12-24-2009 at 10:39 AM..

Old 12-24-2009, 10:28 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,129,963 times
I hate to say it but I have lived there, so I will say it. Pittsburgh is a bit snobby and snoody in many areas. I don't hate Pittsburgh, but that was my biggest drawback when living there was the people. Most of my friends were from somewhere else. The girls all act like their special, when in reality, they were the least attractive for a big city that I had ever lived in. That city honestly just does not have alot of attractive girls. And I am surprised no one has said so. I know I will get flack from the Pittsburghers for this but it is true. Not trying to bash Pitt either, but compared to so many other cities that I have lived in or have spent a considerable amount of time in, this is the case. I was very unimpressed with the dating situation in the burgh'.

I liked Pittsburgh for a lot of reasons when I lived there. The people actually were not one of them. That's not to say that there arent' any nice people in Pittsburgh. I just didn't get that overall feel there. For big cities there club scene and everything else is fairly quiet. It's more of a small corner bar within the neighborhood type place. Not a great city for nightlife.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:24 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,443,809 times
Sarasota, my current location......people are generally unfriendly here...we've been voted "meanest" city on numerous occassions and when it rains many of our residents drown...LOL.(noses too high up in the air).

Old 02-13-2010, 11:03 AM

18 posts, read 68,366 times
Default Lexington, KY SUCKS

My wife and I live in Lexington, KY and we absolutely cannot wait to move. This city is by FAR the snobbiest place we've ever lived. People most of the time won't talk to you or even acknowledge you because you aren't worth their time. Most of them go to Southland Christian Church and truly believe they are above everyone else because where they attend services...(If you've lived here any amount of time, you would know what I mean) If you are not from KY, you are considered an outsider and will NEVER be accepted.

This attitude is also expressed by some of the most inconsiderate drivers who feel they can run red lights and pull out in front of you. They will do their best to pretend they didn't see you...the people here are FAKE.

As for the driving situation, I'm from NY, so that truly speaks volumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City