U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which Skyline best competes with Charlotte's
Milwaukee 2 4.44%
Austin 12 26.67%
Kansas City 6 13.33%
Louisville 3 6.67%
Cleveland 13 28.89%
Cincinnati 5 11.11%
Other, please specify in post 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-22-2009, 08:26 PM
 
294 posts, read 662,209 times
Reputation: 234

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
In 25+ years, ATL will probably have established that "beltline" system. Furthering the city's limits... ALT will pretty much be Chicago or NY in that amount of time more than likely.

Anyway, Charlotte's weird because it's got a nice sized skyline, but it's so rural and suburban outside of that small center core. Too much land area and too little substance to really compare it to any of the city's listed in the poll... Too vastly different.
Maybe comprable to... Jacksonville?...
I love Atlanta. Used to live there. But to say it will be like Chicago and NYC in that amount of time is stretching things a little bit too far, don't you think? The way they were built will never be duplicated in this country again.

 
Old 12-22-2009, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 11,694,611 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladt View Post
I love Atlanta. Used to live there. But to say it will be like Chicago and NYC in that amount of time is stretching things a little bit too far, don't you think? The way they were built will never be duplicated in this country again.
+1
 
Old 12-22-2009, 08:32 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 11,751,069 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
okay lets talk figures here bud,

High Point City limits pop:
101,835
Charleston City Limits pop
118,492

High Point Area
95.1 sq mi
Charleston Area
178.1 sq mi

So Density wise we win and technically smashing yall, yall are at more than 3/4s more than us nearly double in space!
Charleston also has water and marshland upon which it cannot build, so you have to take that into consideration also. In terms of where it counts, which is downtown, Charleston has it all over High Point, and probably even Charlotte, in terms of density. Just don't compare High Point and Charleston, it's not a fair fight at all. And city limits are very arbitrary. Charlotte has a larger city population than Miami, Atlanta, DC, and Boston, but that doesn't really mean much.

And I'm not sure what you mean when you say "y'all," since I'm not from Charleston.

Quote:
Also as far as skyline wise HP would beat Charleston maybe not Columbia they have more height on us.
Neither city has much of a skyline, but Charleston has height limits downtown which is why the tallest structures are church steeples and the buildings within the vicinity of MUSC. So that's a moot point.

Quote:
And you say that SC has us except Raleigh and Charlotte wise its WAAAYYY more than that.
Who is "us"? You live in Cross, SC; I live in Charlotte, NC. LOL!

Quote:
All other cities I am about to list are bigger than both Columbia and Charleston, Charlotte 7X's Bigger Raleigh 4X's Bigger Greensboro nearly 3Xs bigger Winston-Salem 2X's as big Fayetteville 2X's bigger Wilmington as big as Charleston and so many more that is in or bigger than both Columbia's and Charlestons league!
Firstly, SC cities have small city populations because they can't annex surrounding land as freely as NC cities. When you look at metro areas (MSA), Columbia is larger than Greensboro, and Charleston and Greenville are larger than all the rest of those.

Quote:
btw the whole video was a joke and thats all thats too it and it seems that the only thing you can find wrong with my video is that damn Bruster's oh well big whoopie doo!! NORTH CAROLINA IS BETTER AND WILL ALWAYS BE BETTER THAN SC AND THAT IS ALL THATS TO IT!
Well if that's the case, being that you live in SC and I live in NC, I win.

Quote:
And also to add about me picking on your home state you obviously like North Carolina more. . . . Your residing in a NORTH CAROLINA CITY 7X's bigger than ANY CITY IN SOUTH CAROLINA!!
It's not about states, it's about cities/metro areas. I like the city of Charlotte (even though there are other places that seem to suit me better, and I'm looking into them), but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in NC, not because they are bad places, but because they don't really appeal to me as places to live. Same goes for my home state. There are plenty of places in SC I surely would not want to live, like Cross. If I leave Charlotte, I'm off to DC or Atlanta or some place like that. It sure won't be the grand and glorious High Point!

At any rate, like we were saying before, you don't live in Charlotte, have never lived in Charlotte, and really have no connection to Charlotte beyond just a few visits. This is why that silly statement of yours about Charlotte's and Atlanta's skyline basically being equal shouldn't be taken as a reflection on the residents of Charlotte, because you have no connection to this city. Just because you're from NC originally doesn't mean you have a connection to the city of Charlotte in particular.
 
Old 12-22-2009, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Chicago
693 posts, read 657,464 times
Reputation: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladt View Post
I love Atlanta. Used to live there. But to say it will be like Chicago and NYC in that amount of time is stretching things a little bit too far, don't you think? The way they were built will never be duplicated in this country again.
Lookin at it... 25 years maybe a stretch... Maybe it was jealousy that got me :P... But ATL is the major node of southern/southeastern cities, like NY is still the major node city of of northern/northeastern. development of course is slower down here, but you never know. When the older generation of "keep it how it was," dissolves, things may change drastically.
 
Old 12-23-2009, 01:22 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
12,853 posts, read 18,251,821 times
Reputation: 6543
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
What have you been smoking, and did you give some of that to JJG?

Atlanta a Chicago or NYC in 25+years? Even if Chicago or NYC WERE FROZEN IN TIME for 100 years, ATL wouldnt even be on their heels, ok?

If you think CLT is more comparable to Jacksonville, you really don't know much about it, do you?

And JJG, do you actually think that Austin is better than CLT? Oh well, your opinion....
Damn, you just make it seem like Austin's skyline is THAT bad. It's not just my opinion, obviously. It wouldn't even be on the list, don't you think?
Besides, Austin's not done with their skyline yet. Just to give you an idea....

 
Old 12-23-2009, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Pasadena
883 posts, read 1,911,988 times
Reputation: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Damn, you just make it seem like Austin's skyline is THAT bad. It's not just my opinion, obviously. It wouldn't even be on the list, don't you think?
Besides, Austin's not done with their skyline yet. Just to give you an idea....
I live in Texas, so you dont need to tell me anything about Austin's future plans, because i am well aware of them...and whatever is not currently u/c or already completed right now is just a proposal in that image...

Besides, if Austin does end up looking like that, then most people will never view it from that angle, because in reality Austin's skyline is really long with a lot of gaps, but that image makes it seem as if all the towers are close to each other.
 
Old 12-23-2009, 03:45 PM
 
1,964 posts, read 5,624,261 times
Reputation: 1268
Charlotte skyline is only one street (Tryon). Outside that street there is nothing that even looks like a city. Nice buildings, and an OK picture taken from certain angles, but not much of skyline.
 
Old 12-23-2009, 04:58 PM
 
573 posts, read 1,153,719 times
Reputation: 315
I think places like Nashville and Kansas City could catch up to Charlotte skyline with one or two tall buildings. These cities already have good density.
 
Old 12-23-2009, 05:23 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 11,751,069 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Charlotte skyline is only one street (Tryon). Outside that street there is nothing that even looks like a city. Nice buildings, and an OK picture taken from certain angles, but not much of skyline.
A lot of the towers are indeed clustered along Tryon, but College and Church streets, which run parallel to Tryon to the east and west respectively, also contain a nice number of towers. You probably only think our skyline consists of one street because our tallest towers are mainly oriented in a north-south fashion, but your assessment still would not be accurate. Furthermore, there are other highrises that don't even show up in many of the typical skyline shots.



In this shot I took a few months back, starting from the left, Duke Energy Center is on S. Tryon, the Westin is on S. College, there's 400 S. Tryon, Three Wachovia which occupies space lengthwise between S. Tryon and S. College, Carillon with the pointed top is on W. Trade, the Vue (with the crane, and has recently topped out) is on W. 5th St, Two Wachovia on S. College, One Wachovia on S. College, BOA Plaza on Tryon, BOA Corporate Center on Tryon, and NASCAR Plaza on S. Caldwell.

And these aerials shows that your statement about our skyline only consisting of one street is not true:


http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3313/...d62acff0d9.jpg


http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2482/...158dc08bc2.jpg


http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3413/...65f391d542.jpg
 
Old 12-23-2009, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
300 posts, read 774,244 times
Reputation: 147
I always though that Detroit was fairly comparable to Charlotte in terms of the skyline. However it's no doubt that in the near future Charlotte will grow to well beyond Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top