U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 08:34 PM

8 posts, read 22,489 times

Advertisements

So,which of the three is the best(food,demography,skyline,economy,weather,
crime,traffic).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 09:04 AM

4,037 posts, read 7,871,091 times
I love DC but the traffic is horrible. DC has the best job market but the highest cost of living out of the 3. I'm going to guess that DC is the most diverse out of the 3 and of course there aren't any buildings over 13 stories in the DC city limits. But I think that's kinda superficial though.

Out of the 7 DC is tops in 3 of the categories. Crime is relative depending on where in DC you are. The traffic is the worst. Food is relative too. While there isn't much in stuff native to DC like a Philly cheesesteak there are restaurants for just about every nationality. Several Afghan, Peruvian, Ethiopian, Korean, Vietmanese, Lebanese restaurants. They're opening a Ghanian restaurant on 14th street so plenty o f food in DC.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:08 AM

21,038 posts, read 33,024,993 times
Philadelphia, because of its' more centralized location.
Just set me down in Chestnut Hill and I'll be a happy camper.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:14 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,417,863 times
There is no abstract best. All three are great cities. You need to figure out what you desire, and also probably visit each, then formulate some conclusion. For me, I would rate it as Boston>Philadelphia>DC.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:55 AM

4,945 posts, read 8,283,358 times
Terrence,

Not being from DC, I can understand that you don't know that DC does have a native food. It's not as popular as the Philly Cheesesteak but you can get it all over the city.

Chicken wings & Mumbo Urban Dictionary: Mumbo Sauce

Half Smoke Half-smoke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, DC, Philly, Boston.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:07 AM

7,377 posts, read 15,350,252 times
Boston>DC>Philly. I think Boston has the densest, most in-tact urban feel of the three although it's the smallest. I lived just outside of DC (Kensington, MD) for a while and wouldn't leave Boston to go back to the DC area unless I absolutely had to. I prefer Boston's winters and CERTAINLY prefer Boston's summers to DC or Philly. Food is a tossup because all three cities are great.

Public transit is better in Boston IMHO. The Metro's great in DC, but it sort of plays the role of both the commuter rail AND subway while Boston has both of those things. Boston's is a much more extensive network. DC get's the cleanliness award though, Metro's cleaner than any American network I've ever been on.

Boston's not as diverse as the other two, but that doesn't mean it's not diverse. Washington seemed better suited towards diversity.

Philly has the roughest go of it economically. Boston has healthcare and education which still remain strong even through the tough economic times. Washington is the seat of the Federal Gov't so there are tons of jobs related to that (either actual government jobs or independent contractors) and it remains strong.

Skylines don't mean anything to me. Boston has the best urban feel of the three, yet its skyline isn't nearly as good as Philly. Washington is beautiful and has nothing over 13 stories. I don't care for this category one bit... it says very little about how a city functions.

Boston's the best for crime, but I don't think the others are terrible. DC gets a bad rap, but I felt that if I wasn't involved with anything criminal, I wouldn't be in trouble. Same with Philly. Crime wouldn't keep me away from any of these cities.

Traffic sucks in all three. Boston has the best public transit so I take Boston, but driving in Boston sucked worse than driving in Philly or DC in my opinion.

Great cities, I still choose Boston.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:43 AM

6,967 posts, read 17,790,585 times
can't go wrong with all 3 imo

you should check them out for yourself. they're only a couple of hours drive from one another...

Last edited by john_starks; 12-23-2009 at 10:55 AM..

Old 12-23-2009, 11:18 AM

4,278 posts, read 7,212,446 times
Agreed with everyone here that all three are great picks, although there are distinct differences in terms of the categories you've chosen. Trying to be as objective as possible:

- As noted before, DC has the most modern and efficient transportation system in the country, yet Boston and Philadelphia's systems are more comprehensive (more suburban coverage). I'd give the edge to Boston for having more subway coverage and somewhat more modernized than Philly, however.

- Ranking a skyline, in my opinion, is kind of superficial and useless, although I'd rate Philly as the clear winner there.

- Crime-wise, Boston is the safest overall, yet there are plenty of neighborhoods within DC and Philly that are very safe and pretty isolated from the areas of violent crime that drive up the overall city crime rates.

- I believe DC is more diverse, with Philadelphia and Boston following, respectively, although all have a pretty cosmopolitan feel.

- Economically, DC is always seen as more resilient for having a very high concentration of government jobs, yet Boston and Philly are no light-weights when it comes to their strengths in higher education and pharmaceuticals, respectively. Boston is also very strong in biotech, whereas higher ed. and healthcare play a significant role in Philly, too. I think a good indicator of strengths of each city is looking at the unemployment rate for each city's respective MSA:

As of October 2009

Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area: 6.3%

Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH Metropolitan NECTA: 7.9%

Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD Metropolitan Statistical Area: 8.8%

All are well below the national average of 9.5%.

- Traffic-wise, the Beltway (495) in DC will truly test your sanity on any given day of the week, although none are absolutely perfect. A tie for Philly and Boston, with DC far and away being the worst.

- In terms of weather, I'd choose Philly to avoid the strong humidity of DC and relatively harsh winters of Boston.

- The restaurant scenes are top-notch in all three cities, although I'd give Philly the edge for street food.

Another key factor is cost-of-living, which definitely makes Philly the bargain of the East Coast

Last edited by Duderino; 12-23-2009 at 11:39 AM..

Old 12-23-2009, 11:50 AM

4,037 posts, read 7,871,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Terrence,

Not being from DC, I can understand that you don't know that DC does have a native food. It's not as popular as the Philly Cheesesteak but you can get it all over the city.

Chicken wings & Mumbo Urban Dictionary: Mumbo Sauce

Half Smoke Half-smoke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, DC, Philly, Boston.
No I knew I had heard something about mumbo sauce. I ate at Ben's Chilli Bowl once but just got a regular chilli dog versus a half smoke I guess they'd serve it there I'm out of the loop.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:39 AM

5 posts, read 7,927 times
Center City Philadelphia does it for me. For scale, walkability, diversity, and raw energy, Boston or DC have nothing to compare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City