U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Bronx versus Northern NJ
New Jersey 24 70.59%
Bronx 10 29.41%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 12:40 PM

2,705 posts, read 7,063,820 times

Advertisements

Hanging your hat on Hip Hop music is a bit silly. For one, most people over the age of 30 can't stand that genre of "music".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 12:40 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,531,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
and when did the record come out?

oh ok. again, hip hop started in the bronx and would have blown up regardless if there was a sugar hill gang or not. we have kool herc to thank who was born in jamaica and resided in where?

the bronx.
So Hip hop started in the Bronx, but the guy who started it all hailed from Jamaica... That just made your argument even weaker.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:43 PM

155 posts, read 133,900 times
Quote:
as a person from queens, there is no def jam without there being a bronx. there is no:

run dmc
rakim
ll cool j
big daddy kane
jay
pun (obviously)
big
pac
snoop
dre
eminem
kanye west
50 cent
etc.

without the bronx.

New Jersey's Frank Sinatra has more talent in his pinky than any of the rappers you posted.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:48 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,414,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
So Hip hop started in the Bronx, but the guy who started it all hailed from Jamaica... That just made your argument even weaker.
its common knowledge that a lot of nyers are originally from other countries. thats what makes us us.

and the creation of hip hop alone solidifies this argument as far as cultural significance. when you have ppl from your borough that are responsible for russian kids breakdancing and you have ppl that went from the slums of the bx, dancing on the street for dollars to performing in front of the queen of england...i mean come on.

instead of making a big deal about not liking hip hop, which i get, you don't like it...why not post something that northern nj is known for besides piggy backing off of nyc??

as for the beloved frank, i don't hear any nyers singing about jersey city being so great.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:49 PM

The Bronx gave us Hip hop while NJ gave us baseball...

Google < Click if your in denial.

Think of your beloved Yankees!
They would of never existed if the birth of baseball in NJ never occurred.

This should be fun...
I wish I thought of this sooner!

Old 12-23-2009, 12:52 PM
eek

thats all fine and dandy but statistically speaking who runs baseball? 27 championships:

the NEW YORK YANKEES.
http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/53/68/full/1258.gif (broken link)

and nj has how many again?

Old 12-23-2009, 12:55 PM

155 posts, read 133,900 times
Quote:
as for the beloved frank, i don't hear any nyers singing about jersey city being so great.
Who besides you cares about the Bronx, Manhattan is what people care about. I guarantee you that New Jersey has more tourists than the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, or Staten Island.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:55 PM
eek

Quote:
The Bronx gave us Hip hop while NJ gave us baseball...

Google < Click if your in denial.

Think of your beloved Yankees!
They would of never existed if the birth of baseball in NJ never occurred.

This should be fun...
I wish I thought of this sooner!
actually thats just the first recorded game. if you look further you will see that baseball is thought to be created by the english and that the first baseball field was created in ny. so...

this should be fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyPhanatic View Post
Who besides you cares about the Bronx, Manhattan is what people care about. I guarantee you that New Jersey has more tourists than the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, or Staten Island.
the thread is about the bronx vs northern nj. can't move goal posts. the OP cares about the bronx a lot, apparently.

i'm just following the topic.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
thats all fine and dandy but statistically speaking who runs baseball? 27 championships:

and nj has how many again?
The point it that none of this would of never happened if the birthplace of baseball never happened... Thank you Jersey

Besides, "statistically" speaking, the Bronx isn't dominating Hip-hop anymore the way the south is.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:01 PM
eek

Quote:
The point it that none of this would of never happened if the birthplace of baseball never happened... Thank you Jersey

Besides, "statistically" speaking, the Bronx isn't dominating Hip-hop anymore the way the south is.
first off that birthplace thing is debatable. second the game that was recorded had a ny team in it. so obviously the ny team knew how to play in order to be a team and in order to be recorded. so...

secondly, the bronx doesn't have to dominate hip hop CULTURE anymore. at least it dominated at one time.

when did jersey dominate baseball. when. go ahead, i'll wait for an answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City