Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 09:25 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I don't know. That's why I didn't answer the question. It's just clear to me that the examples given in this thread are much worse than anything I've seen in Youngstown.

IMO, ghettos have lots of grafitti, lots of bars on windows and doors, chain link fences, lots of trash laying around in front of non-abandoned buildings, makeshift memorials to people who have gotten killed, etc. I'm not saying Youngstown doesn't have ghettos. There are Google street views down Glenwood, Market, South, and Belmont Avenues. I'm sure you can see some of Youngstown's worst there. But again, IMO, they aren't as bad as the pictures in this thread.
Hillman st and the area surrounding that might be the worst I've seen in Youngstown, but last few times I was there they had some new houses so it doesn't look as bad as it used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
Has anybody been around the Temple University in N. Philly. Talk about delapated and run down. Needles in the road, trash everywhere, condemed buildings busted windows ect. and rows of it.

was definately a wake up call for a 20 year old from a small New England town.
LOL, I lived in North Philly for a few months, east of Broad st. not far from Temple. That's a really bad area it's considered the "badlands" in North Philly. What a terrible place for a college, it's completely surrounded by ghettos I think west of Temple might be even worse..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 09:57 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
Has anybody been around the Temple University in N. Philly. Talk about delapated and run down. Needles in the road, trash everywhere, condemed buildings busted windows ect. and rows of it.

was definately a wake up call for a 20 year old from a small New England town.
Sounds like York College except its only bad on the South side and not all around it.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:08 AM

902 posts, read 2,786,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Uh... yea they do. Hell I was out in the suburbs of Maryland, beltsville maybe, we're are talking solid ranch homes built in the 70's and 80's, and there were bars on the windows there too.

I love the new wavers who dont even KNOW dc. My parents grew up there and half my family still lives out there. DC no bars on the windows? LOL what do you hang out in NW or the capitol all day?

Try looking around the other 3/4 of the city.
Ummmmmmmmmm No, once again you are wrong. Given a lot of homes in DC have bars on the doors/windows or at least on some, not even close to all the homes have bars on the windows. Also I find it funny that you admit 1/4 of the city does not so therefore it would make my statement true. Lol, but many other sections of the city besides capitol and NW don't have bars either. Plus, you are acting like NW isn't DC when indeed it is and there are no bars on the windows (for the most part) there.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:11 AM

902 posts, read 2,786,904 times
There are even some homes in SE DC Anacostia that don't have any bars on the windows.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:41 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
There are even some homes in SE DC Anacostia that don't have any bars on the windows.
Same here, its kinda mind boggling, that's like begging to be burglarized. Even some apartment buildings have bars on the first floor (and 2nd floor sometimes).

Old 03-30-2010, 03:12 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
A quick thing about window bars (specifically in DC, but true other places): a lot of them were put up during a time when huge chunks of the city were crime infested, and the murder rate was skyricketing from the crack epidemic. Now, you stroll through neighborhoods in DC that are by all rights perfectly safe, yet many of the houses retain the window bars from yesteryear. In some cases, it's simply the PITA factor, in others removing them can actually cause some structural damage.

At any rate, my point is that the presence (or lack of a presence) of window bars does not provide much in the way of meaningful insight into the safety of a particular neighborhood.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:04 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,653 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
A quick thing about window bars (specifically in DC, but true other places): a lot of them were put up during a time when huge chunks of the city were crime infested, and the murder rate was skyricketing from the crack epidemic. Now, you stroll through neighborhoods in DC that are by all rights perfectly safe, yet many of the houses retain the window bars from yesteryear. In some cases, it's simply the PITA factor, in others removing them can actually cause some structural damage.

At any rate, my point is that the presence (or lack of a presence) of window bars does not provide much in the way of meaningful insight into the safety of a particular neighborhood.

IDK I just dont see how neighborhoods in Baltimore can be in such bad shape like the ones on the wire and have no window bars but decent neighborhoods in D.C have bars on majority all the windows(not talking Georgetown nothing like that but NE,NW,SE......I even seen a D.C ice cream truck with reinforced bars on all the window like it was an armored car with money in it

Old 03-30-2010, 07:22 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
Ummmmmmmmmm No, once again you are wrong. Given a lot of homes in DC have bars on the doors/windows or at least on some, not even close to all the homes have bars on the windows. Also I find it funny that you admit 1/4 of the city does not so therefore it would make my statement true. Lol, but many other sections of the city besides capitol and NW don't have bars either. Plus, you are acting like NW isn't DC when indeed it is and there are no bars on the windows (for the most part) there.

1) How am I wrong if you conceded a lot of homes in dc have bars on windows, which is what I elluded to

2) Find in writing where I say that 25% of the city does not have bars.

3) Dont even try tell me about nw dc or dc for that matter. My mother grew up on 16th and upshure(white house on the right corner google map it) in black upper class crestwood(nw), and my dad grew up in ne. My grandfather had a homeless shelter named after him there and he was in charge of arlington national cemetary as his last command.

Sorry but you just are not hip to the scene of DC "go getta"

Old 03-30-2010, 07:24 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,374 times
I'd have to say any one of those rough L.A. neighborhoods. Cities like Compton, Paramount, housing projects like Hawaiian Gardens, Imperial Court, etc. When you see barbed wire wrapped around the street signs, you know it's a ghetto.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:28 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
"Houston we have a problem"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City