U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 01:53 AM
TT1 TT1 started this thread

151 posts, read 79,956 times
Default NorCal vs SoCal?

Is there a rivalry between these two regions? I know lots of people from LA and SF areas and the people in SF seem to have such a negative opinion of Los Angeles

I always hear things like "I would rather die than live in LA", snide remarks and looks of disgust when mentioning LA. It never fails. The only city the people I know from SF seem to love is NYC and [insert European city]

On the other hand, the people I know in SoCal seem to have no opinion at all of NorCal. It's just...there, it's much too far/doesn't even exists to them, they know very little about it and don't care.

Is this real?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 02:05 AM

24,925 posts, read 31,755,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
I've heard things like "I would rather die than live in LA" many times, snide remarks and looks of disgust when I mention LA. It never fails. The only city the people I know from SF seem to love is NYC.
By now people know that SF has many smug and snobby folks. Its hardly a surprise. And they arent that way only towards LA-but everywhere.

Quote:
On the other hand, the people I know in SoCal seem to have no opinion at all of NorCal. It's just...there, it's much too far/doesn't even exists to them, they know very little about it and don't care.
Southern Californians are like that about everywhere. Their region is so big and important and is the focus of so much attention that they really don't give any other place a second thought. NY is much the same way.

If you see there is a small irony in that the way its perceived these 2 places view one another is actually how they view everywhere else too.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:08 AM

1,273 posts, read 2,719,897 times
There is a rivalry, but both regions have their positives and negatives. For me, even having lived in both places, it is hard for me to decide which one is better.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:14 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,699,266 times
Quote:
Is there a rivalry between these two regions? I know lots of people from LA and SF areas and the people in SF seem to have such a negative opinion of Los Angeles

I've heard things like "I would rather die than live in LA" many times and "Ew" when I mention LA. The only city the people I know from the Bay Area seem to care for is like NYC.

On the other hand, the people I know in SoCal seem to have no opinion at all of NorCal. It's just...there, it doesn't even exists to them and they know very little about it and don't care.

Are my observations true?
I was born and raised in Northern California (and THANK YOU for calling it NorCal and not 'NoCal'). As a lifelong resident of Northern California...I can say that I like many parts of Southern California, but not LA. I love the Channel Islands, Santa Barbara, San Diego, the hills around San Diego, Anza-Borrego, Joshua Tree, and many other spots in SoCal. LA is just...wrong to me. I grew up in a small town in Northern California, weekend trips were to the City, and long vacations were to San Diego. LA is just too spread out, with too many people. I get lost just driving on the Freeways down there, let alone the streets in town. Don't take this the wrong way, but when I'm in downtown Los Angeles, I know that I can go 50 miles in any direction (besides West), and be lost in a suburban hell. That drives me crazy.

Also, SoCal steals our water, and turned one of the United States' greatest natural wonders (the Owens Valley) into an arid, alkali desert (they take the water before it enters the Owens river, which causes the valley to dry up and precipitates dust storms; it's an ecological tragedy). Currently, they're (those beacons of wisdom in Sacramento) planning on flooding hundreds of farms in the Central Valley so that they can build a peripheral canal to SoCal, so that they (Southern Californians) can have more of our water (which is in short supply in the current drought). It sucks, but I think that if Southern California needs more water, they should start desalinization en mass. We can't afford to send them more water, but as their population grows, they're going to need a lot more of it.

Also, if you're talking about natural beauty, Southern California can't hold a candle to Northern California. Like I said, there are many places in SoCal that I love, but if you use the traditional dividing line of the Tehachapi mountains, Northern California is the clear winner. We have Yosemite, the Redwoods, Death Valley, all of the Sierra Nevada, SF, etc.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:17 AM

1,273 posts, read 2,719,897 times
Please. California wouldn't be California without both Northern and Southern California.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:11 AM

2,685 posts, read 3,752,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Please. California wouldn't be California without both Northern and Southern California.
Wow..I can't believe someone who isn't a California native actually said this! Bravo

California without EITHER of its halves wouldn't be California, since each side greatly influences each other (even if either side doesn't really admit it). Its hard for many to think that the Bay Area can influence LA (since LA is 3 times as large), but there's this newfangled invention called the internet and new media which is making SOMEWHAT of an impact in Hollywood. I dunno..just throwing that out there. And LA obviously influences the Bay through the media. Both areas have a chokehold in the California government, which is why non-LA/SF Bay Californians are pretty angry.

Let's begin by asking "what do you mean by Northern and Southern California?" Where is the dividing line? Is it 35'45'28 N? (Or San Luis Obispo, Kern, and San Bernardino County Lines) Is it just north of the Tehachapis? Do you mean geographic Northern and Southern California, with a line going at 37'13'47 N?

Of course, this ignores a HUGE fact that a huge section of the in-between areas refer to themselves as Central California, the rural, farming, and generally scenic part of the state away from the crowds? People in Fresno or in San Luis Obispo generally identify themselves as Central California more than any strict North-South affiliation. Where do people in Mono and Inyo County fit, since they're better connected with SoCal than with points west?

People from Sacramento and San Diego (the smaller metro areas in their respective parts of the state) don't generally subscribe to the LA-SF rivalry because they've got their own things going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
By now people know that SF has many smug and snobby folks. Its hardly a surprise. And they arent that way only towards LA-but everywhere.

Southern Californians are like that about everywhere. Their region is so big and important and is the focus of so much attention that they really don't give any other place a second thought. NY is much the same way.

If you see there is a small irony in that the way its perceived these 2 places view one another is actually how they view everywhere else too.
I generally agree with this. People in LA are barely even aware of Orange County, never mind another part of the state that is 400 miles away from them.

People in SF Bay Area are the biggest homers ever, and talk down everywhere, with LA being no different in this regard.

All in this, while out of staters try to figure out what's going on, bothering people like me by asking if San Francisco and Los Angeles are right next to each other. I smile as I tell them that its a 15 minute drive from each other and walk off into the night

Old 12-25-2009, 11:13 AM

9,125 posts, read 21,174,203 times
Not to be picky (well, yes, I do)... but for future reference, since this is state-specific and about California only, it belongs in the California room hence the room sticky: What To Post In This Room (and - NOT). READ BEFORE POSTING ****

I'll leave it, but don't hold me responsible if it's moved later.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:28 PM

10,257 posts, read 13,412,655 times
Quote:

I always hear things like "I would rather die than live in LA", snide remarks and looks of disgust when mentioning LA. It never fails. The only city the people I know from SF seem to love is NYC and [insert European city]

Is this real?
This is a pretty good/accurate description from my experiences having grown up in NorCal and living in SoCal for 8+ years now. There is a rivalry but Northern Californians seem to take it more seriously than Southern Californians.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:20 PM

117 posts, read 208,054 times
California isn't California without both of them! It would break my heart if either one left the state!

Last edited by Cali Kidd951; 12-25-2009 at 04:29 PM..

Old 12-25-2009, 04:41 PM

5,477 posts, read 7,294,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Not to be picky (well, yes, I do)... but for future reference, since this is state-specific and about California only, it belongs in the California room hence the room sticky: What To Post In This Room (and - NOT). READ BEFORE POSTING ****

I'll leave it, but don't hold me responsible if it's moved later.
I'm enjoying it because it reminds me of the Dallas/Houston rivalry.

People outside both states see a rivalry but within the cities themselves the people don't really care about the other city at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City