Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 02:12 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Well no, NYC didn't lose that much population in the 70s, and many of those who left stayed in NYS. NY's out-migration of the 1970s had more to do with the rapid decline of Upstate's industrial base during that decade. Scores of corporate industrial HQs relocated South or abroad, while manufacturing plants closed or relocated from places like Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and a host of smaller manufacturing cities and towns.
Sad, but true........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 02:37 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J._in_L.A. View Post
They're just not American citizens.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:12 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,383,617 times
I'm all for letting California's population growth slow, since infrastructure here is extremely bad. Let the infrastructure catch up to the population, before letting more people live here. Most of Southern California is in a drought, and the LAST thing we need is more people. Northern California is also losing plenty of farmland in the Central Valley to suburban sprawl (and we are talking about DENSE suburban sprawl).

With growth, comes plenty of issues. There needs to be a better thought out process about how California should grow.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:16 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I can't recall having differing opinions... I'm thankful for Prop 13 each and every day... even though it means I pay more in taxes than my elderly long-term neighbors.

Proposition 13 was the reaction and not the cause of California's problems...

My property tax bill is based on the Prop 13 1% and then adds nearly 20 separate assessments and charges making my effective rate closer to 1.5%

Until recently, the probability of voters in my city passing measures in excess of Prop 13 limits was very high... school measures almost always pass and school construction bonds no longer require Prop 13 super-majority of 2/3... schools need only 55%.

Having attended countless city council meetings where projects good for the tax base become mired in debate until the project dies is not uncommon...

The NUMMI Plant was denied repeatedly in it's application to expand on land it owned for expansion... now the plant is closing and the Bay Area is loosing thousands of jobs along with it.

California Diesel Regulations have forced small mom and pop excavating and trucking companies to close... never before can I recall existing, well maintained equipment being regulated into oblivion...

A very good friend is calling it quits after 27 years in the business... he cannot justify buying new earth moving equipment that he may be forced to retire... as he is being forced to do with 1990's excuvator and backhoe... this equipment has many useful years and now nealy worthless due to regulation.

Prop 13 has a process to raise taxes... it sets the bar at 2/3 voter approval... I'm thankful Prop 13 allows my neighbors and myself some stability when it comes to property taxes
I mostly agree-however the lack of revenue is part of the reason why we have annual budget shortfalls that the media splashes all over for everyone to see.

And much, if not all of that shortfall could be remedied if we had property taxes similar to uh, Texas. LOL

I don't mind people who have lived in their homes paying lower prop taxes-that's actually admirable. But its really too low in many, many cases.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:38 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Well no, NYC didn't lose that much population in the 70s, and many of those who left stayed in NYS. NY's out-migration of the 1970s had more to do with the rapid decline of Upstate's industrial base during that decade. Scores of corporate industrial HQs relocated South or abroad, while manufacturing plants closed or relocated from places like Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and a host of smaller manufacturing cities and towns.
Are you sure about that?

During the 70's New York City lost 823,223 people. During that same time period New York State lost 678,895 people. Seeing that NYC actually lost more people than the state as a whole, I would think NYC had a fairly large contribution to the fact that NYS lost during that period.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:43 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Are you sure about that?

During the 70's New York City lost 823,223 people. During that same time period New York State lost 678,895 people. Seeing that NYC actually lost more people than the state as a whole, I would think NYC had a fairly large contribution to the fact that NYS lost during that period.
Question is though, how many moved out of the boroughs, and just went elsewhere in the NYC metro area (excluding Jersey)? The Hudson Valley region between NYC and Albany has been growing for quite some time, not to mention parts of Long Island.

I believe out migration percentage wise was much greater in Upstate New York. But as far as raw numbers, I see what you are saying.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:22 PM

631 posts, read 1,228,266 times
Default States that lost the most residents

States that lost the most residents

California

New York

Michigan

Illinios

Ohio

biggest-losers-where-americans-are-not-moving: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate/article/108478/biggest-losers-where-americans-are-not-moving - broken link)

Old 12-26-2009, 05:29 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,125 times
Weird, I just made a thread concerning the new population projections.

For states like Illinois and Ohio, they have yet to see a decline in their populations. They have just had slow growth rates for most of the census updates. Their populations are not declining because they are seeing a bigger off set of people such as births, immigration, and from the people that are moving in.

Only three states declined in population, and they were Michigan, Rhode Island and Maine.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:52 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
Not NY in general but Downstate NY's population is rising.

That's a beautiful pic they have of Long Island too.

They're showing very prominent parts of the "loser states" which makes it seem like those parts are losing people when they're really not.
Not many states ever lose population because of the birth less the deaths.

If you have 200,000 births a year and 100,000 deaths and your population is only growing by 50,000 a year then there are more people leaving the state than entering.

This has been going on in NY for quite some time.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:03 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL63 View Post
More envy from someone who lives in the boondocks.

New York City/Downstate NY and Upstate New York are two entirely separate things. The vast majority of New York State's population loss come from upstate cities such as Albany, Buffalo, Rochester have lost extraordinary amounts of people. Secondly, this list is about about Americans and where they moved. Americans aren't everybody.

But yes, numerically NYC's population has gained the most (from a mixture of immigration + domestic + births) and Los Angeles is also somewhere at the top. States like New York, California, New Jersey, Illinois are all international magnets with high turnover rates.

Big Apple, Southern cities tops in growth - USATODAY.com
NYC has gained about 150,000 population since 2005

NYC averages 125,000 or so births a year and about 55,000 deaths.
Just from births minus deaths NYC should be averaging a gain of about 70,000 people a year.

The average gain over the last 4 years has been half that.

That means more people are moving out than moving in.

Try some facts instead of accusing anyone that does not post positives about NY of being jealous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City