U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:10 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,112,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not trying to shift the topic here. But I saw a group of Detroit posters claiming that Metro Detroit is better than Metro Philly. Just wondering the reasoning??
After visiting many major US cities and their metros I honestly have yet to find a metro area that compares to Chester, Delaware, Bucks, Montgomery counties, South Jersey and Delaware. New York/Connecticut and Boston are the only other metros that are like and on par with Philadelphia IMO.
So...who cares if they think that it's their opinion not the end of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 08:54 AM

725 posts, read 963,165 times
All them Detroit pictures ate trash. And I give credit where it's due guys, in not unreasonable. Them pictures are no good.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:58 AM

25 posts, read 22,975 times
So Detroit has a few decent neighborhoods like Hamtramck, Greektown, and a few others that we can show photos of that haven't fell to a sea of urban decay yet. Good for Detroit.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:07 PM

3,626 posts, read 4,346,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicCharlie View Post
So Detroit has a few decent neighborhoods like Hamtramck, Greektown, and a few others that we can show photos of that haven't fell to a sea of urban decay yet. Good for Detroit.
Those are just "unique" neighborhoods. Most of Detroit's neighborhoods aren't in a "sea" of urban decay. While Detroit has plenty of neighborhoods that has more vacant land then occupied. Some of those videos you see on Youtube having only 5 occupied homes on one block isn't average.

This is much closer to the typical neighborhood then some of the "ghetto" tours on Youtube

Now of course those neighborhoods have vacant properties sprinkled around. Walking around many of these neighborhoods you will see open spaces and abandon homes here and there but not to the ridiculous scale people like to exaggerate.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
Those are just "unique" neighborhoods. Most of Detroit's neighborhoods aren't in a "sea" of urban decay. While Detroit has plenty of neighborhoods that has more vacant land then occupied. Some of those videos you see on Youtube having only 5 occupied homes on one block isn't average.

This is much closer to the typical neighborhood then some of the "ghetto" tours on Youtube

Now of course those neighborhoods have vacant properties sprinkled around. Walking around many of these neighborhoods you will see open spaces and abandon homes here and there but not to the ridiculous scale people like to exaggerate.
I dont care what your saying. These neighborhoods are NOT impressive at all... And Im keeping it real, just ugly houses that go for a few blocks till your in a drug infested neighborhood. Philly has its share of dumps, but even the dumps have very nice architecture.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:29 PM

4,571 posts, read 6,737,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not trying to shift the topic here. But I saw a group of Detroit posters claiming that Metro Detroit is better than Metro Philly. Just wondering the reasoning??
After visiting many major US cities and their metros I honestly have yet to find a metro area that compares to Chester, Delaware, Bucks, Montgomery counties, South Jersey and Delaware. New York/Connecticut and Boston are the only other metros that are like and on par with Philadelphia IMO.
I can post pictures of Detroit's suburbs too. But for the most part, they're sort of standard compared to other Midwestern suburbs; tree lined streets, large backyards, sprawl..., etc. I tend to think of Philly's suburbs as old and gritty and not terribly booming but it's bigger than Detroit so I could be wrong.

These are the parts of Metro Detroit that kinda stick out.

Southfield, sort of the first real post-war suburb. A lot of the city is filled with 1960s era architecture. Used to be a large Jewish population now it's shifted to almost fully African American.
View of Southfield | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_9812 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Lawrence Technological University | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Former Congregation B'Nai David Synagogue (Now Shriners' Center), 24350 Southfield Road--Southfield MI | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Temple: Study I | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Royal Oak, a little more hip. Has quite bars and clubs as well as a couple of theaters and a lot of restaurants. Mostly bungalows and craftsman style make up the housing. Is where the historic Detroit Zoo is located.

Royal Oak | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Detroit Zoo and Camping at Sterling State park | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Royal Oak Savings Bank | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

233 Forest Avenue | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Main (Royal Oak, MI) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DSC_2344 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Birmingham, very upper-class, very contemporary.
Cosi | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Merrill Street | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Dick O'Dow's | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Palladium Theater | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Cranbrook Schools in Bloomfield.
Cranbrook, Michigan | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Cranbrook | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMGP4109 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Then there's Grosse Pointe(s), very well known for its old mansions and being a good solid middle class suburb on the waterfront, Dearborn, home of the Ford automotive company and is actually pretty similar to inner-city Detroit (minus the decay), and Troy, which is pretty similar to Southfield except a lot more contemporary. Most people don't consider Ann Arbor a suburb, but hey, it's only an hour away and pretty much is the best city in Michigan by all accounts.

Downtown Ann Arbor | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 05-17-2013, 01:34 PM

3,626 posts, read 4,346,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
I dont care what your saying. These neighborhoods are NOT impressive at all... And Im keeping it real, just ugly houses that go for a few blocks till your in a drug infested neighborhood. Philly has its share of dumps, but even the dumps have very nice architecture.
Toure: then why the fu*k are you still replying to me??? I've been completely ignoring your last 2 or 3 post because I could care less about what your saying as well. You really need to bash another city to make you feel better about yours? PATHETIC. And I'm keeping it real. And I'm not reflecting that on Philly, I'm reflecting that on YOU as a person.

Oh and btw, if you look at the post you JUST replied to I said typical. If it's the typical neighborhood then it CLEARLY can't be just a few blocks. Is that too hard for you to understand??? maybe you need to spend less time worrying about Philly being compared to Detroit or what you THINK Detroit is like and spend more time on your comprehension skills. If you knew anything about Detroit you would know that you can't base a good or bad neighborhood off of looks alone.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:44 PM

11,828 posts, read 9,827,294 times
I for one definitely appreciate the Detroit pics-some of those houses on the previous page are really beautiful. I don't have any plans to visit Detroit yet but Frontier airlines currently has flights from Trenton, NJ to Detroit for $49 so who knows.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:52 PM

4,571 posts, read 6,737,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
I dont care what your saying.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:21 PM

YOU GUYS ARE CALLING ME A TROLL BECAUSE THEM NEIGHBORHOODS ARE AVERAGE!!!!!!!! THEY AS BLAND! WHAT IS THERE TO FIGHT ABOUT? You cant be serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City