U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better, North Carolina or South Carolina?
North Carolina 42 53.16%
South Carolina 18 22.78%
I don't know 7 8.86%
Their about the same 12 15.19%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 02:59 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,706,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
There aren't a whole lot of votes in at this point for one, and as of now, half (6) have voted NC, while the other half are split between them being about the same or not knowing enough to cast an educated vote. But I remember a similar poll in the past where NC was leading in the votes, but SC wasn't getting crushed in the poll. I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

Edit: Here it is North Carolina Vs. South Carolina

At any rate, I always think you get a better view of things by comparing cities/metro areas within states than states as a whole. For instance, I think Raleigh has it all over Florence, but I'd much rather live in Charleston than Fayetteville. And so on and so forth...
Spot on!

I feel the same way, pretty much. I really love both, but give a slight edge to NC at this point in time.

Since that wasn't an option, I went with "their" about the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 04:42 PM

415 posts, read 1,053,983 times
Quote:
Where did you find that thread I searched to make sure that I wasnt making a copy? But oh well.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:50 PM

8,190 posts, read 11,766,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
Where did you find that thread I searched to make sure that I wasnt making a copy? But oh well.
I just remembered there was a thread like this already and did a search for it specifically in the "city vs. city" section.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:03 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,138,991 times
As a Northerner, I really don't see the difference. They're both Southern states named "Carolina." North Carolina may have more growth, but at the core they're very similar. Coastal South states with some mountains and piedmont. Cotton and tobacco farms. Mid-sized, fast-growing cities (Columbia, Charleston in SC; Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Asheville, Winston-Salem in NC), and plenty of small towns.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Mid-sized, fast-growing cities (Columbia, Charleston in SC; Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Asheville, Winston-Salem in NC), and plenty of small towns.
There's also Greenville, Spartanburg, and Myrtle Beach in SC and Greensboro and Wilmington in NC.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:52 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,700,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
Man Im not surprised at all that SC aint got a single vote yet!
Are you mad that several people have stated that NC and SC are "about the same"?

Old 12-27-2009, 09:25 PM

12,579 posts, read 12,715,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
NC is the best State in the country. SC is so different from NC is seems so backwards and Hillbilly but thats my opinion.
Ohhhh trust me, there are some truly bassackwards areas in NC also. To drive into some of these places is to time warp back 100 yrs.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:17 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,769,632 times
IMO they are both Carolinas and both rule. But SC has a lot of issues to work through. I think many of its municipal policies are out of whack and don't allow for an accurate comparison among its cities to other cities. Take for example Greenville and the Upstate region. Greenville is the largest city in the most populated region of South Carolina. I also think, but I'm not sure, it has the most populated UA in the state. However, Greenville only has a population in the mid 50k. I hope SC steps it up. It has jewels in Columbia, Charelston, Greenville, Myrtle Beach, and Florence that it needs to utilize.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
IMO they are both Carolinas and both rule. But SC has a lot of issues to work through. I think many of its municipal policies are out of whack and don't allow for an accurate comparison among its cities to other cities. Take for example Greenville and the Upstate region. Greenville is the largest city in the most populated region of South Carolina. I also think, but I'm not sure, it has the most populated UA in the state. However, Greenville only has a population in the mid 50k. I hope SC steps it up. It has jewels in Columbia, Charelston, Greenville, Myrtle Beach, and Florence that it needs to utilize.
Honestly, the antiquated annexation rules are probably the least of SC's worries, although they need to be updated ASAP. I think Greenville could be larger if it wanted to, but as I understand it, the city selectively annexes and this helps it to be more targeted in terms of focusing its resources. The downside to that, however, is that it is probably surrounded by the most haphazard suburban sprawl in the state as a result. And actually Charleston has the most populated UA in the state and could possibly reclaim the title of the state's largest city within the next few years.

The problem is that the antiquated annexation laws reveal the fundamental mindset of the state's political leadership: it is still very much rural-minded, although most of the state lives in urban and suburban population centers. When you combine that with the fierce independent streak the state has historically been known for, and you've got a pretty bad combination there. When state leaders recognize that we live in a metropolitan nation and that states need to empower metro areas, which are the economic engines of states, as much as possible, you'll really see SC start to reach its full potential. Unfortunately, I think some people are going to have to die before that happens.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:39 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,769,632 times
Quote:
Honestly, the antiquated annexation rules are probably the least of SC's worries, although they need to be updated ASAP. I think Greenville could be larger if it wanted to, but as I understand it, the city selectively annexes and this helps it to be more targeted in terms of focusing its resources. The downside to that, however, is that it is probably surrounded by the most haphazard suburban sprawl in the state as a result. And actually Charleston has the most populated UA in the state and could possibly reclaim the title of the state's largest city within the next few years.

The problem is that the antiquated annexation laws reveal the fundamental mindset of the state's political leadership: it is still very much rural-minded, although most of the state lives in urban and suburban population centers. When you combine that with the fierce independent streak the state has historically been known for, and you've got a pretty bad combination there. When state leaders recognize that we live in a metropolitan nation and that states need to empower metro areas, which are the economic engines of states, as much as possible, you'll really see SC start to reach its full potential. Unfortunately, I think some people are going to have to die before that happens.
I agree with your assessment. Perhaps leadership will recognize this beforehand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or